Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mine tedo

I'd sooner sit on these mince pies.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Once again I escape Zaph's lap :D

It's almost like you don't want to sit on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mince pies should only be made of short, very short pastry. (For the non-cooks that's kind of soft, crumbly pastry all buttery and gorgeous.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

OK, everyone's in :D

So I can tell you that, "according to research carried out by Deliveroo, the average Irish person will eat 11 Brussel Sprouts. On top of that the average Irish person will consume 6 slices of smoked salmon, 2 glasses of Bailey’s, 4 Christmas sandwiches, 6.5 mince pies, 2.5 glasses of mulled wine, 2 Christmas dinners, and 1 potato croquette."

But, of course, that's irrelevant. Check back at 8(ish) to see what the median answer is and how you all scored

In the meantime...

I just bought some puff pastry mince pies from SuperValu. I shall eat one when the results come in.

I've had puff pastry ones before, can't remember if they were SuperValu or not. They're ok to try as a novelty but they're not as nice as a lovely, buttery, sugary pastry.

The Dunnes Stores 'Simply Better' ones are very nice.

• Advertisement

I can't do any better than just stick down the number I first think of when I read the question / look at the pic

I'm gonna go for... a nice round number for the round bellies that form after eating so many

Once again, no clue. Presumably there are some mince pie fiends out there who eat dozens. Then there are the folks who despise the very thought. Then the 'have them if they are put in front of them' peeps. *headmelts*

Ok, think these are real love them or hate them thing right? I like em!

So one mince pie every evening in December. A few pie-less days, and maybe one or two with a couple of pies...

Maybe i'm being greedy, most wont eat as many as me so i'll revise my answer down

There are people who actually eat mince pies?? I thought that was a myth. Like people who eat christmas cake. they don't really exist either.

Wrap your 'mince pies' around my correct answer EN :P

I really want to say 37, as it's a number that has served me well so far, but I'm not a savage. Loads of people don't eat mince pies so it's probably lower.

Oh there's a massive discussion about this in this household today!!!! Husband does not agree with my guess AT ALL! He think's I'm bonkers to be going so high but I'm sticking with it now.

I can't imagine the average person consumes more than two boxes of six each. Even one box sounds like it might be a bit much, given the number of mince pie philistines out there.

Last year there was always a box of M&S mince pies next to the kettle and even though I liked a couple with a mug of coffee after a night shift there was ALWAYS a full box there.

I have absolutely no idea how you even came about this question.. or more importantly why anyone could enjoy those awful awful things.. Ffs hardest question yet ya bollox :pac:

Mince pies belong in the same category as cucumbers, Alien Creations that should never be eaten by humans , contaminated vile yokes .

I love mince pies but I try to stay away from them, because I can easily eat a box of 6 in one sitting. I thought that most people like mice pies, but based on the chat in the thread, properly not.

Personally I neither like nor dislike mince pies, some years I would have none, and some years I might have just the one before I'm reminded that they're pretty meh. I'd say there's far too many people who think they're minced meat rather than fruit, so I'm gonna rule out all vegetarians and vegans straight away. I'm also gonna chalk a lot of people down for 1 pie, because they're disappointed its not meat when they eat one for the first time. Then there's a lot of people who clearly wouldn't go near them even if a loved one was been held at gunpoint and the ransom was to eat a mince pie. There is of course lunatics who eat mince pies all day every day, but they're the minority and the people who eat 0 or 1 cancel out the little piggy mouths of those who scoff them. There's people who will have a handful or so over the course of Christmas and I think therein lies the real answer...

You may as well as asked how long is a piece of string.......

...probably a safe answer to average out those oddballs who despise them and everyone else.

I'm going for one a day, every day, for December. Allows for the allergics, and the gluttons. I hope.

I'd say the real answer is fairly low but god knows what the FGers will answer. I'm going to put faith in them that they will answer low, I know, I know, thats risking a lot.

The average person is wrong though. The right amount is 0. See also Roses, Celebrations, Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and brandy butter.

My brother would horse into them. I'd only be interested in the pastry, the filling doesn't do it for me.

I'm later than usual submitting and reading the thread, that is a bad idea. I'm more confused than usual...

I've gone too high for every question so far, may as well continue on that vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

OK, everyone's in :D

So I can tell you that, "according to research carried out by Deliveroo, the average Irish person will eat 11 Brussel Sprouts. On top of that the average Irish person will consume 6 slices of smoked salmon, 2 glasses of Bailey’s, 4 Christmas sandwiches, 6.5 mince pies, 2.5 glasses of mulled wine, 2 Christmas dinners, and 1 potato croquette."

But, of course, that's irrelevant. Check back at 8(ish) to see what the median answer is and how you all scored

In the meantime...

The potato croquette is the only thing from that list that I would consume. There's only one way to interpret these findings.....

.... I'm above the average Irish person :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

6.5 mince pies
    KneV51i.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Twice during this contest I have read a comment about FGers and thought “Jesus. Some people will blame the government on anything”

On top of that the average Irish person will consume 6 slices of smoked salmon,

Ah feck off! :eek: The average Irish person is full of shíte. Slices of smoked salmon....talk about having notions!

'Twas far from smoked salmon I was reared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

6.5?
    That's a pitifully low number of mince pies to be eaten over the Christmas period !
    Especially for those who apparently love them !

(In other words , my guess was extremely high :o)

Ah feck off! :eek: The average Irish person is full of shíte. Slices of smoked salmon....talk about having notions!

'Twas far from smoked salmon I was reared.
    From a midlands county?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm so close to the actual answer, which is usually not a good sign.

6.5 mince pies????

That's a coffee break!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wtf have Deliveroo got to do with mince pies???

I'm calling shenanigans!

(Not that it matters a jot for this particular game of pick-a-number)

I’m fearing the same. I went very low but judging by posts the median could be miles from the actual answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Collie D wrote: »
    Twice during this contest I have read a comment about FGers and thought “Jesus. Some people will blame the government on anything”

I thought so too :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yep, once again I've wildly overestimated

Collie D wrote: »
    From a midlands county?

Not quite. Further south but not near the sea.

And if we were from by the sea we still wouldn't be eating fecking smoked salmon. Far too la-di-da! :p

I’m close too. We’re probably proper ****ed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I’m close too. We’re probably proper ****ed :D

My hope is all the people who hate or are indifferent to mince pies all went low as that seems to be the majority, or that someone goes so high that anyone who said less than 50 gets 9 points or more...

For comparison, here's how seriously them lot across the water take their mince pies! :eek:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-city-everyone-eat-20-21003724

A 'mince pie map' of the UK, based on a survey of 2,000 adults, revealed Liverpudlians will munch down 20 mince pies per person this festive season.

This is five pies more than the national average of 15 - and almost twice as many as Southampton or Glasgow, which came bottom of the list of mince pie maniacs.

Those in Leeds will swallow 16, making them the second biggest mince pie enthusiasts, followed by Birmingham and Bristol.

And this week marks the moment most Brits say it is acceptable to tuck into their first mince pie of the festive season - with the nation set to consume an astonishing 781,177,935 mince pies in total this Christmas.

One in four Brits won't let a mince pie pass their lips until December 2nd - although 13 per cent admit they have been eating them since October.

Update on the SuperValu Puff Mince Pie

It was gross.

I used to live in one of those English cities & my guess was only 1 away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭DvB

6.5!!! Arse... am miles off...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My hope is all the people who hate or are indifferent to mince pies all went low as that seems to be the majority, or that someone goes so high that anyone who said less than 50 gets 9 points or more...

I'm not too far off the answer so I'm hoping the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

I'm not too far away... but I am very concerned by the number of people who say they're miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the question had been 'how many mince pies does the average person in Hull eat, I would have been dead on'. I doubt this will be helpful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Zaph wrote: »
    So you won't be having cranberry sauce with your turkey this year then? :D

Never ever! Only sauce accompaniment is gravy!

• Advertisement

OK, let's go!

The median answer was two boxes, or 12 mince pies

We were all doing so well, no crazy answers. Then Ecto asked to double her original guess.
    Then Ted... well Ted... ummm...

Player | Guess | Score
    Kolido | 2 | 5.7
    Zaph | 3 | 6.1
    Collie D | 4 | 6.5
    Hyblaeus | 5 | 7.0
    mirrorwall14 | 5 | 7.0
    mustang shelly | 5 | 7.0
    Neowise | 5 | 7.0
    Strawberry Milkshake | 6.2 | 7.5
    Also Starring LeVar Burton | 7 | 7.8
    TRS30 | 7 | 7.8