Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Ooh, need to be very careful with the answers here, get it wrong and minus points can be very costly.
    I actually went with an answer that I thought people are likely to select ��

More then 1???

This is a sad question. I won’t be seeing my Princesses and little Prince this Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,955 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This is a sad question. I won’t be seeing my Princesses and little Prince this Christmas :(
    Sorry :(
    It sucks, I know. I've not seen my mum since New Year's

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

:(

I’m so sorry to hear that. Christmas is all about family. Simple as that. Hopefully next year will get everything back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I totally have no idea, or any idea how to guestimate this one. Random number submitted.

The number I've submitted was in my head for some reason.

Genuinely interested in what the answer is.

I don't even know where to start working this out :(

I don't even know where to start working this out :(

Get some paper
    Make an airplane
    Throw it see how far it goes
    Record distance
    Now add lego figures
    Rinse and Repeat
    square your answer after an hour

Wont help but will keep ya occupied in the meanwhile

khalessi wrote: »
    Get some paper
    Make an airplane
    Throw it see how far it goes
    Record distance
    Now add lego figures
    Rinse and Repeat
    square your answer after an hour

Wont help but will keep ya occupied in the meanwhile

But.... I don't even have any lego figures! *Bursts out crying* Can things get any worse!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Q12: Last year, how many Irish emigrants came home for Christmas?

Is "Plenty" a number?

giphy.gif

Lunchtime bump, looks like I have 24 PMs
    Haven't looked at any yet because we've been looking round the building site of our new house this morning :D
    Q12: Last year, how many Irish emigrants came home for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think my answer is way way too low but when you haven’t got a clue you just go with the first number that pops in your head and hope that everyone is the same.

I just went with the first number I thought of too. I could be way off in either direction. I haven’t a clue of the correct answer let alone what anyone else playing might guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I had a *very* rough idea of the right answer because I remember being surprised by the number on the news before....now whether that 'before' was last year or 5 years ago is another story. And as always, the median will most likely screw me over anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I was reasonably happy with my answer. Resisted the urge to google. Then just asked the OH :(.

- Ooooh God knows
    - how do they know they're ex-pats

- well its not ...
    - OK XXXX
    - Really?
    - Well could be more. I don't know.
    - OK well

Purgative wrote: »
    I was reasonably happy with my answer. Resisted the urge to google. Then just asked the OH :(.

- Ooooh God knows
    - how do they know they're ex-pats

- well its not ...
    - OK XXXX
    - Really?
    - Well could be more. I don't know.
    - OK well

I am using a very scientific approach. Write a numer of answers on papers, turn into planes and the one that goes the furthest wins.

40min warning for Ted, bubbly, hurling, Reb and Sephi (I think)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

omg I nearly forgot

what-has-this-kitty-seen

And we're all aboard :)

So, depending which story you read the answer was either 1m or 1.2m, but that's the ballpark

Did you guys agree though? Find out later ;)

• Advertisement

No banter today, straight in with what I hope is a good answer. Definitely jinxing myself there

Not a clue how to approach this one. Could be hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands. The Irish diaspora is stupidly big.

I have no idea on this one, I thought of about 20 people I work with and how many of them had people home for xmas last year. I came up with 4 which is one in five which I think is a bit high

I can picture hundreds of planes full of Irish returning to the motherland for the holidays with everyone sharing childhood tales of Tayto Sandwiches on Christmas Morning, and sing songs on Aer Lingus flights with everyone belting out Boyzone... "I'm coming home now, been so long now, gonna get there somehow, shooby doop bop bah..."

I could go all out on the calculations, but this is in the media leading up to Christmas every year

No time for maths today

Hmm, 600,000 Xmas trees, so the answer is probably in the same ball park, some families would have 2 away, so add a few extra, add the number coming home for Hanukkah, plus the number for Kwannza, plus the number for any other religions and go for

As I am technically one the diaspora who come home for Christmas each year, I know the answer is at least more than 1. I actually think this could be a huge number though. Maybe a couple of million? Do I dare go that high? Will other players agree?

Now this one I know. It comes up every time about people travelling home for Christmas this year they compare it to last year. But it’s way higher than I would expect so I’m guessing people will go lower.

I have Chris Rea's "Driving Home for Christmas" in my head now. I know most fly home but whatever.

This is the toughest one yet.

Morning, no idea for this one, apart from lots. Is it hundreds of thousands millions? Are we talking all Irish airports, crikey?

Good morning EN, Greetings from Amsterdam Schipol Airport. OK, obviously this is a make or break question, minus points can be very costly. No idea obviously, I reckon those similar to Greek people, many would want to come back and spend Christmas with family and friends.

Oooh this is a toughie. I’m going with the first number that entered my head....

Have no idea, can't even logic or maths an answer for this one :(

Well I was one of these stats until a few years ago. Im going to try and stay away from what I think the real number is

No reason whatsoever for that answer, apart from it's a number.

This is the worst one yet! I don't know. Could be 10,000 could be 1,000,000.

And this is where it all goes wrong. I think I read somewhere that 50,000 are expected to travel this year so based on that, If say last year was a multiple of that?

How are we supposed to know why people are coming home. Could be coming home to feed their goldfish & not realise it is Christmas time.

Actually got out out today, food & drink, no time to be thinking about this!! Boozy lunch woo hoo! But, I used to work in the airport, many many years ago, Christmas was the best time up there! Good feelings everywhere, lights twinkling, everyone happy! It was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So, depending which story you read the answer was either 1m or 1.2m, but that's the ballpark

Well I’m miles off. Like half a million! That didn’t go well

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There's no way the population jumps by 20-25% at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Oh dear

Omg, no way is there one million or more coming home for xmas!
    I don't care if I'm wrong......cos I'm really right!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oh ffs. Was afraid of going far too high after yesterday, so have done the exact opposite. Hello again negative points. I can sense last place and the wooden spoon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh dear, I’m expecting -100 on this one.

I wonder how many clever people got it spot on?

OK, enough taunting - the median was well off today, just 547,000, which Heidi hits on her own. Quite a spread of answers...

• Advertisement

At least I'll rocket up Trigger's table

Advertisement