Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I actually know this one, it comes up in Pub quizzes every now & again.... but what will the neighbours say!?!?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Thought I'd get in early so I would not be worrying all day about this...... now I have aaalllll day to contemplate just how wrong my answer was

Whatever you do don't look it up, let that fear and self-loathing cripple you all day

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Good morning elves, welcome to day 14 of the Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar!

It's our first double header! (there may or may not be others, I don't really know!)

Q13: .............................................................

As always, PM me your answer before 7pm
    Reveal around 8ish

Does this mean that you will be squeezing in another question today?

By the way - should that not have been Q14?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Necro wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't look it up, let that fear and self-loathing cripple you all day

I did! That's the problem :o:mad::rolleyes:

I'm hugely confused now Ted.

I mean... Declan.

Poor old Ted getting an awful going over so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Trivia...the 'Star of Bethlehem' will be visible (weather permitting) on the longest night this year. First time since 12something. Though this crowd https://earthsky.org/human-world/was-the-christmas-star-real are being a bit wet blanket about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Most of these will be in America again I am guessing.

The median helped my Christmas-town guess, I will just have to hope for the same again with Bethlehem. Rubbish guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,955 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

By the way - should that not have been Q14?
    No - it's a double header with yesterday's question. Just a glorified way of saying I'm using the same idea twice!

And yes, Q14, I've edited that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

No - it's a double header with yesterday's question. Just a glorified way of saying I'm using the same idea twice!

And yes, Q14, I've edited that

Well, it beats all those tree questions!

• Advertisement

The yanks were crap at placenames. They are either old native american words or tribes, placename from somewhere else like Europe or taken from religion-the bible.

Well, it beats all those tree questions!
    The Mathletes hate questions like these. It is their kryptonite and renders their powers useless :p:D

The Mathletes hate questions like these. It is their kryptonite and renders their powers useless :p:D
    Their day will come again ;)

I like (and liked) that post, nice phrasing :D

Q14: How many places are there in the world called Bethlehem?

Lunchtime bump :)

Don't know how many have entered because Google drive is down and has taken my beautiful spreadsheet with it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Don't know how many have entered because Google drive is down and has taken my beautiful spreadsheet with it :eek:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

So we can all start again level?:pac:

Seems to be a general Google thing alright EN. You'll have to do it all by hand so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seems to be a general Google thing alright EN. You'll have to do it all by hand so :P

giphy.gif

Luckily it's back, phew :D

• Advertisement

Hour-ish klaxon for bubblypop, Builebeag, mirrorwall14 and Sephiroth_dude!
    Q14: How many places are there in the world called Bethlehem?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Final call for that lovely fella Sephiroth_dude! to get his answer in

Too kind EN!

image.jpg&key=c0a93bd92f3e2a501d49d426e28015c65f96250f8f504f0a9fcbb98476fa3eb9

Everyone's in :)

So, today's answer is 28
    Linky-link
    geotargit wrote:
    There are 18 places named Bethlehem in America.
    There are 3 places named Bethlehem in South Africa.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in Sweden.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in Palestine.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in New Zealand.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in Netherlands.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in Namibia.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in Jamaica.
    There is one place named Bethlehem in Germany.

So a good bit higher than yesterday. But did yesterday scare everyone into going low? :D
    It definitely did!

That website is quite cool, for example there are 28 places called Santa, but I won't milk this question any more!

Making up for yesterday and get my answer in early! However, I am absolutely no idea. Yesterday I would have gone for 50 because Americans are weird, and I thought most states would have had a place called Christmas... would many of them have a place called Bethlehem? Either way, I can see now my answer was completely wrong... and will people moderate themselves based on yesterday?

Ah FFS :pac: I'm not good with these questions! I know of three (I think) Cue someone putting 900 or something crazy again :D

In early, so I don't have time to talk myself out of my first thought. I think some might have been surprised by the low number of Christmases out there (I know I was!), so I'm assuming the median will be a bit lower for this one.....

Hey EN, I'm not falling for this again!

I know there's one in America plus the real one. Probably another I don't know about.

The east coast of US is bloody littered with Bethlehems

After yesterday's disaster I'm going got take a lesson and go low....bit too low as I think Bethlehem would be a more popular name than Christmas...sounds very New Englandish...I'll go with my birthday....

.......probably be treble digits this time around :rolleyes:

I'd say there are more Bethlehems than Christmasasses.....

After the very unsuccessful guess yesterday, I will go for a lower number.
    I think though that there will be more towns than Christmas...

There's a fair few of them I think, a handful in Yankee Land, potentially a couple across Europe and the Middle East, and think there might even be one Down Under too, it'll be higher than yesterday, but people will probably skew a bit lower than yesterday, despite the actual answer likely being higher...

I know there's one in Pennsylvania, and the Americans hate to see a good name go unused, so there's bound to be more there

I'm not even thinking about this one. I'm just using the same answer as I did yesterday. If you can reuse ideas, so can I!

Definitely more than yesterday. Could be 400, who knows

Christmas place name result. Hopefully my bethlehem answer doesn't undo the good work. Should be comfortably more popular than christmas.

I'd guess there's a small number like 3 or something. I'm guessing people will guess higher tho

I can only assume it's going to be similar to yesterday. The question is, do I copy yesterday's ACTUAL answer, or copy yesterday's median answer?

There is only one Bethlehem, the others are fake imitations :D

My OH has been to two of them, so it's at least 2. But I haven't a clue.

Probably more religious nuts naming towns as Bethlehem rather than Christmas. So I'm doubling my miss's Christmas answer as my answer yesterday would have been way out

Ok here is my reasoning so far. I think there will be more Bethlehem's than Christmases as Bethlehem was a real life place. Yesterday I was actually close to the right answer but the median was double my guess.. Therefore, I would guess there are more than double the amount of Bethlehem's so I'd think the answer is about 12 but based on yesterday's median, I should doubling that again. Or maybe everyone else will look at yesterday's median and go lower??

I wish I wasn't doing so well as I am really feeling the pressure to stay near the top!! It's exhausting!

I am tempted to go double or nothing with my strategy today but I think that might be too high and last time I doubled I dropped...

I was way off with the yesterdays guess, so to be more conservative this time

I feel stressed over this one. I saw other people asking their husbands so I asked my brother who has a good head. He said there'd be way more than Christmas because Bethlehem is more of a real placename. So I decided to multiple the 4 for christmas by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Everyone's in :)

So, today's answer is 28
    Linky-link

So a good bit higher than yesterday. But did yesterday scare everyone into going low? :D
    It definitely did!

That website is quite cool, for example there are 28 places called Santa, but I won't milk this question any more!

Well now lol. I expected more but not that much more!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ahhhhh for fupp sake! minus points for sephers anyway , that's a certainty anyway!

Just like my “lost in the post” beauty advent calendar this game is on a par with that disappointment :(

Just like my “lost in the post” beauty advent calendar this game is on a par with that disappointment :(

Ah jaysus, that right there is devastating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

giphy.gif

This will not end well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ahhhhh for fupp sake! minus points for sephers anyway , that's a certainty anyway!

tenor.gif

Advertisement