Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Awwww thanks EN! I'll have to stop calling you evil now! I admit my mistake, the nitwit is lovely!

Blink twice if you're being coerced to say these words

Blink twice if you're being coerced to say these words

;);)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just looked up the real answer, If I don't get at least 9 points I'll be fuming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just looked up the real answer, If I don't get at least 9 points I'll be fuming :D

I saw the answer too. Let's just say that I need a very wide divergence, particularly in a specific direction, if I am to have any hope of a decent score! :(:o

I could give the year, month, week, day and time it was released, and still end up -1,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I could give the year, month, week, day and time it was released, and still end up -1,000
    Like with the Christmas card question? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,625 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh lord, I am decades out!

Edit, oh no, (actually read the dratted articles!) I am almost dead on! (not that that proves anything :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,410 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I saw the answer too. Let's just say that I need a very wide divergence, particularly in a specific direction, if I am to have any hope of a decent score! :(:o

I caved, and looked it up - and am pleasantly shocked by my answer, which was a complete guess with a small bit of logic applied.

Presumably means I'm doomed for the median though :rolleyes:

One hour(ish) klaxon for mirrorwall and Sephiroth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Seph is always in last batch, is he hoping to sit on Zaph's lap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I'm tedo and I wanna sit on Zaph's lap.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh its all coming out now!!!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh its all coming out now!!!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

I see a pattern here. Do you have a lot of cats? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Seph is always in last batch, is he hoping to sit on Zaph's lap.

Who isn't in fairness

200.gif

He has no cats. He is a cat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think people are really underestimating just how unstable Zaph’s lap is.

I think people are really underestimating just how unstable Zaph’s lap is.

Sure that's why you have to sit on it if your late with your answer. It's a punishment!

I'll hold off the teasers until the reveal, hopefully mirrorwall gets a late entry in

See you back here about 8!

Reveal in 45 mins gives me time to do a crash course in Newton meters and torque wrenches.

I live such a varied life :D

Reveal in 45 mins gives me time to do a crash course in Newton meters and torque wrenches
    How do you know what tomorrow's question is?!!

How do you know what tomorrow's question is?!!

How much force does the average pet cat need to apply to topple a fully decorated Christmas tree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

How much force does the average pet cat need to apply to topple a fully decorated Christmas tree?

free-animated-gifs-of-cats-knocking-over-christmas-trees-jump-fail.gif

Seph would know this, or the very least spend all day with cats to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sorry folks, I’m a disaster the last two days. Hopefully tomorrow will be a quieter day!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I don't Declan.......I'm more of a dog person tbh

My wrench is too big grrrr

Seph would know this, or the very least spend all day with cats to find out.

Sorry tedo but I wouldn't , what with me being a dog person and all

My wrench is too big grrrr
    Is that a euphemism? :D

OK, we're all in :)

The correct answer today is 1939
    Balsam wreaths and visions of sugarplums had barely faded in the first weeks of 1939, but thoughts inside the Chicago headquarters of retail giant Montgomery Ward had already turned to the next Christmas 11 months away. The retailer had traditionally purchased and distributed coloring books to children as a holiday promotion, but the advertising department decided it would be cheaper and more effective instead to develop its own Christmas-themed book in-house.

The assignment fell to Robert May, a copywriter with a knack for turning a limerick at the company’s holiday party. The adman, however, had difficulty summoning up holiday cheer, and not just because of the date on the calendar. Not only was the United States still trying to shake the decade-long Great Depression while the rumblings of war grew once again Europe, but May’s wife was suffering with cancer and the medical bills had thrown the family into debt. Sure, he was pursuing his passion to write, but churning out mail order catalog copy about men’s shirts instead of penning the Great American Novel was not what he had envisioned himself doing at age 33 with a degree from Dartmouth College.

Given the assignment to develop an animal story, May thought a reindeer was a natural for the leading role (not to mention that his 4-year-old daughter, Barbara, loved the reindeers every time she visited the zoo). As he peered out at the thick fog that had drifted off Lake Michigan, May came up with the idea of a misfit reindeer ostracized because of his luminescent nose who used his physical abnormality to guide Santa’s sleigh and save Christmas. Seeking an alliterative name, May scribbled possibilities on a scrap of paper—Rollo, Reginald, Rodney and Romeo were among the choices—before circling his favorite. Rudolph.
    Source

But where will that all important median be?
    I need to sort the results but it won't be long...

Sorry tedo but I wouldn't , what with me being a dog person and all

Quoting & screenshot taken for posterity.

• Advertisement

Knowing this crowd though the median will end up as 200 AD or something mental like that :D

Humm ya Ballax. I think somewhere 19th century. Maybe before then people were too concerned with just staying alive than non religious "fun stuff". So somewhere after the Napoleonic wars, American wars, but before the likes of Crimea, American Civil War.

'You'll go down in history'. No you won't: this is a complete guess.

Ok, the original image you’ve shown is in a vibrant red so I’m guessing it’s from the 1900’s rather than an earlier century. The 1800’s, I think, would have had more dark, dreary colours. But when in the 1900’s? Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse was in the 1920’s, wasn’t it? I know that’s an animated movie rather than a book (that image is a book isn’t it?) but he then made movies like Snow White and Pinocchio and the technicolour used in those movies reminds me of the colour of that image. So my next question is before or after WWII? 1945 onwards seems too recent. So I’m going before the war but after Mickey

Well... first thoughts are that that picture is very Disney-esque looking..... so I'm going to base my answer on that premise (and hope that I'm not about a century out). And this time I'm NOT going to google the answer straight away (whether I last till the reveal tonight, well, let's see!)

I have no idea but I'm guessing early to mid 20th century. Is he a pre-war or post-war reindeer? Maybe he was born in the war, and his red light serves as a demonstration of superior Yank aircraft and missile guidance systems.

You dont even deserve a comment!

I know the answer as it was mentioned on Christmas FM a couple of days ago, but yet again expect the median to catch me out badly...

Right so that's definitely 20th century. The print quality is too good to be before that. RIGHT!!!!??

Now I know the answer to this... kinda. The good people at 'Tis the Podcast covered this. It was around wartime now which war I don't remember, so I'm going to guess...

Rudolph is definitely older than me, so he's around since at least the 70s :D but that book looks way older. At least 30 or 40 years older I'd say.

Hmmm. If I remembered the answer to the question earlier about the first Christmas card it might help. Was there even a question about the first Christmas card? I hope that he was invented to help ships spot icebergs after the Titanic sinking.

It was written onboard the Titanic and then recovered years later from inside the iceberg. We all know that story.

Let's think this through, Rudolph is mentioned in a lot of the crooners Christmas songs from around the 1940's and 50's so must be pre then. The picture is in bright colour but only one colour so I'd guess slightly earlier but not by much. Certainly pre WWII...

First year that popped into my head seems plausible, so following that gut feeling, which will most likely fail me...

Hey dude, I'm guessing it was in the 1900s but I have a feeling that a lot will go for Dickens time

Rudolph first appeared in the Ice Age , his nose went red from the cold :D

Going back to my strategy of splitting the difference between the two answers I actually want to submit. If Rudolph let’s me down he’s going on the naughty list.

I always forget he wasn't part of the original line-up. Pretty sure he's a fairly recent addition, in and around WW2-times

Well I've decided to go with the correct answer as my fingers just wont let me type the wrong answer despite knowing it will get me nowhere.

Who the hell knows when he first shoved his red hooter onto the scene. I bet he is the real cause of COVID, spreading his germs everywhere he went over Christmas. Never really trusted him.

I've given up hope of winning after yesterday's disaster, but the coveted third place might still be within my grasp. I was trying to deduce from the picture of the cover how old it looks

I actually know this one. Always remember it... or else that was a weird dream

I actually know the answer to this one but no sure it will help me sheeping

I feel like I might know this one. Well a number popped into my head and I'm just gonna go with it. It's probably wrong and if it isn't wrong its probably not gonna be the median anyway!

I prefer quizzes where I know stuff

Advertisement