Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I did good ??!!
    First Advent Miracle :D

Poor Toto got the correct answer but is 6th last!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

*peeks in*

ginger-kitten-peeking-260nw-395540380.jpg

I hear there's a reveal on atm is there ?

*peeks in*

ginger-kitten-peeking-260nw-395540380.jpg

I hear there's a reveal on atm is there ?

Don't look Seph.... You did... Not so good!

Woohoo, sitting on the fence pays off! \o/

Maybe this should be my strategy for all the rounds going forward? :pac:

• Advertisement

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I did good ??!!
    First Advent Miracle :D

My eye was drawn straight to your name and I was delighted for you... And mildly surprised! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Collie D wrote: »
    That’s the only bit I understand. But I will take it :)
    Kolido wrote: »
    What kind of voodoo economics is that?

Well, if you got the median you get the maximum of 10pts

If you're off by one standard deviation (18.4% today) you get 5pts

If you're off by two standard deviations (so 36.8%) you get zero

And so on in between. Simple :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So basically the median wins even if completely wrong? I think I get it now but if I do somehow get a right answer and low points I will have a meltdown and people will be called names.

Apologies in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't look Seph.... You did... Not so good!

-0.9 ? ahhhh F......sake

:pac:

So in this round where the answer was limited 1-100 , then wouldn't picking 50 have won no matter what everyone else said?

*Please note I can't do maths!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

-0.9 ? ahhhh F......sake

It's the kind of deviation that you don't want in this Sheep game!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I was initally going to say 50, but its very hard not to say 42 when you're already in that ballpark... Decent score anyway, so it was worth it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Are all the answers going to be number based this year EN or will it be like last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So in this round where the answer was limited 1-100 , then wouldn't picking 50 have won no matter what everyone else said?

Median is the middle of the range...I think. 20 people answered either side of 50 so 50 was the median in this case. If 21 answered either side of 6 then 6 is the median....I think.

I actually get paid for working with numbers so I should probably know this but embarrassingly I don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

My eye was drawn straight to your name and I was delighted for you... And mildly surprised! :D

Oh :o
    You cheeky thing but I'll accept that as it's so true :D

Nah, its just a coincidence that the median also happened to be the middle number in this case.

No because it's the median of the range of answers given that we care about, not the median of the range of possible answers.

So if there were five people playing and the answers were: 3, 4, 5, 6, 50. Then 5 is the median of this selection and that user gets the full ten points.

3, 4 and 6 are within one standard deviation so will get some measure of points.

50 however is a terrible answer in this scenario (regardless of how close to the 'correct' answer it may be) as it's more than two standard deviations away from the median of the given set of answers (i.e. too far away from 5)

• Bottom of the table already...

shutterstock_272814335.jpg?w=650&h=433&fit=fill

I'd like to speak to the manager please.

Sorry, got waylaid, answers...

Yes, all the answers are numbers!

And they'll all be scored like this. Maximum score of 10pts each day, but negative scores are possible

It was just coincidence that 50 was the answer today. With 43 people entered, the median is the 22nd answer if you put them in order (so 21 answers above, 21 answers below)

And yes, as Toto showed, you can be "correct" and score terribly if everyone disagrees with you :o

No because it's the median of the range of answers given that we care about, not the median of the range of possible answers.

So if there were five people playing and the answers were: 3, 4, 5, 6, 50. Then 5 is the median of this selection and that user gets the full ten points.

3, 4 and 6 are within one standard deviation so will get some measure of points.

50 however is a terrible answer in this scenario (regardless of how close to the 'correct' answer it may be) as it's more than two standard deviations away from the median of the given set of answers (i.e. too far away from 5)

Thanks Homer and Collie and LeVar. I knew I couldn't be right and I understand completely now.. mostly.. sort of... A bit........ Well enough! :D

• Advertisement

Nah, its just a coincidence that the median also happened to be the middle number in this case.

Hmmmm well ain't that convenient :pac:

I'll admit, I was really pıssed off that 50 was the median :pac:

Homer J. Fong is the King of Sheeps for those new to these parts, so the signs are not good!

I'll admit, I was really pıssed off that 50 was the median :pac:

And of course Homer chose it.

How does he do it!?!?!!

And of course Homer chose it.

How does he do it!?!?!!
    Tomorrow's question doesn't have a fixed range, so no fence sitting will be possible!

Tomorrow's question doesn't have a fixed range, so no fence sitting will be possible!

Do you really think that will make a difference? :D

• I read the question wrong. I meant to say 8 instead of 92.

Not that it'd have made a difference, you'd all still be sitting atop me.

EN and homer this morning

giphy.gif

Hmmmm well ain't that convenient :pac:

I should've clarified in my inital post that I meant middle number between 1 and 100 (the possible numbers for this question), not the middle number of the answers given.

• Advertisement

I read the question wrong. I meant to say 8 instead of 92.

Not that it'd have made a difference, you'd all still be sitting atop me.

So you're a kind of mirror image of Homer J. Fong? :D

Advertisement