Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

I've had to do maths.

Can we settle this out of court, Nitwit? I'll take -50 points right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's the Revenge of The Mathletes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Oh god. Going by initial thought, which I was talked out of submitting, today could be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bad.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's my father's birthday today!!!
    Are you my brother?

Who knew I'd find my long lost sister on Boards???!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Lunchtime bump, 32/47 in
    Q16: How many babies were born in Ireland on Christmas Day last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Oh god. Going by initial thought, which I was talked out of submitting, today could be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bad.

I'd say I will be in minus numbers, goodness knows what I was thinking, well I don't think I was thinking at all. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm happy enough with my own answer but the trouble is I don't trust the rest of you rapscallions to answer in a similar manner

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Necro wrote: »
    I'm happy enough with my own answer but the trouble is I don't trust the rest of you rapscallions to answer in a similar manner

You make it sound like we're intentionally bad at this.

Zaph wrote: »
    Who knew I'd find my long lost sister on Boards???!!! :D

:D:D

I don't trust the rest of you rapscallions to answer in a similar manner
    Collie D wrote: »
    You make it sound like we're intentionally bad at this.
    tumblr_liqu2lC6UF1qzf4gno1_500.gif

• Advertisement

Rapscallions - that’s a great word.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The answer is twee fiddy

Ye can thank me all later

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The answer is twee fiddy

Ye can thank me all later

:pac:

That used to be a bannable phrase a while ago.

**goes off to read small print to see if has been actually removed**

Rapscallions - that’s a great word.

music-rap-rap_stars-root_veg-root_vegetables-spring_opinions-rken207_low.jpg

giphy.gif
    Anyone got a picture of Sephi? He's the only dog missing today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

giphy.gif
    Anyone got a picture of Sephi? He's the only dog missing today

Strange - he was around these parts earlier! He could have submitted his answer while he was around! Probably distracted by cats. :D

He's had a busy day at the Honey Bee Inn I heard

tenor.gif?itemid=18041662

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have to work non-remotely on Friday. The cutoff point for submitting answers is 7pmish - is that right? Just in case...

I have to work non-remotely on Friday. The cutoff point for submitting answers is 7pmish - is that right? Just in case...
    It is, yes - but I can PM you the question in advance if you like (I think I actually know what's coming for the next two days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Seriously regretting my answer. I know sweet f all about babies and volume of babies entering the world.

I initially thought of one number which was very low, figured I don't know anyone with a Christmas baby but then worried that people are probably popping them out faster than a hand sanitiser dispenser dispensing hand sanitiser. I adjusted significantly upwards and thinking I should of stuck low.

• Advertisement

OK, we're all in :)

So, I don't actually have last years number's but in 2018 it was 90, last year would have been similar. And sure, only the median matters

That was out of around 60,000 births in the year. As many people assumed, Christmas day is a lot lower than most days

I'll probably through the reveal out a bit earlier than normal, maybe if ASLB had a break between walrus rounds in a while

I can't imagine there's that many? This is where the downfall begins...

Normally take more notice of new year babies

Ah lord , theses questions are beyond any knowledge I thought I had

I've no clue and this is an evil question though :pac:

Great - another stab in the dark for a guess! Lets hope everyone else is equally mystified. Pick a random number and then pick another one and then go back to the first one. That should work.

I know a bit about this. I'm a Christmas baby myself. Christmas Day is the least popular day of the year to be born aside from February 29th, no planned sections on the 25th only those who happen to go into labour. Anyone that's had a planned birth has had it the previous week or will have it after Christmas. Don't know the exact figure but it's going to be low

Right gonna try & use this maths thing I'm hearing about on here........

The 0.5 accounts for any twins born before and after midnight :)

Simple maths really. Take the number of Leaving Cert students every year (which you pluck from the air and convince yourself you remember from when you worked in a school but do you really?) and divide by 365. Easy. Pass the trophy.

Do people try to have children born on Christmas Day? Is that a thing? Are they hoping for the second coming of Christ or do they only want to buy them one set of presents every year? If either of the above are true I'm going for a slightly higher number than I was thinking

Ooookay, 60ish thousand babies a year I think, but no elective caesarians or inducements scheduled for Dec 25th I assume... sigh.
    I think there’s like 10k babies a year... no hang on that makes no sense at all. Don’t like 60k take the LC every year? But then there’d be inductions won’t happen etc

Can't believe we're on day 16 already. This is insane. I haven't a clue at all about babies. I wouldn't even know how many are born in a year because who would know that ****? So I'm guessing. As usual. Had a chat with hubs and he's ****ting all over my thought process. So we're pushing the number up.... Which I think is insanely high. And I'll be beating him if it's wrong. :D

...Part of me thinks that's way too high, another part of me says it's way too low. Hopefully I'm right in the middle

I've no idea how many babies are born on any given day, but I do believe Christmas week tends to have less babies born than other times of the year (I think I read somewhere that September tends to be the most common month for births? Probably due to lots of New Year friskiness)

...if it turns out to be 3 million I'll be very pissed off.

\o/ Maths Questions!!!
    So, if we take it that there are around 50,000 doing the Leaving Cert each year as the baseline even though they could be 17/18 but don't worry about that. Allow some variance for late Paddies Day bundles of joy, subtract a few for I assume hospitals/Docs not wanting Caesarians/Operations on public holidays when there might be less staff in hospitals? Maybe?

So theres 60,000 odd births a year, are half of them c-sections? I should know this given I've just had a kid

I have no idea how many people people are born every day, so gonna have to try and logic my way into an answer... There's a TV show called One Born Every Minute, so I'm going to just take that as fact as its the best I got, and there are 1440 minutes in a day, and a little less than 200 countries in the world, but we'll say 200 for arguments sake, so I'll turn that in to Math and round it to a whole number, which surprisingly gives me a pretty reasonable sounding answer...

Will attempt to math this, c. 60k births PA in Ireland, that's c. 165 per day, however I believe that the Dec/Jan period is the lowest rate of births PA, so we can possibly reduce that by 50% to say c.85 per day.
    But I vaguely recall Christmas Day & St Stephens day being the two lowest days of the year in terms of births as there are no elective caesarean sections on those days & natural births are inducted beforehand if possible to allow staff be on leave etc. IIRC 1 in 3 or 4 fall into this category, so I'll hedge my bets & say 1 in 3.5 so we can take another c.24 off that total which brings us down to 60, I still think thats a tad high in reality but will go with that as a round number as I would expect loads to say 100 or suchlike. Oh ****, if the median is up around that and I'm on 60 I'm goosed! Maybe a rethink is required... Will I split it & go with 80. Or stick with my math at 60???

I have done a bit of research into this in the past, although can't remember exact numbers. I'd estimate around 55,000 births in 2019 which would give an average of about 150 a day. I know some days are way more popular to give birth on though, and I'd say Christmas is one of the least likely days. I doubt many planned Caesareans are scheduled for Christmas day for example (although these probably make up less a small enough percentage of total births). One of the odd things that sticks out from last time I checked is the differences between days that are side by side. Some of it is just randomness but I remember that there are stretches of time that are very popular, and I think just before Christmas is one of them, potentially due to planning to avoid Christmas when the time comes (insofar as these things can be planned anyway).

Oh very cunning EN. Aren't the top 3 days with least number of births not 29th Feb, 25th & 26th Dec? Think 24th Dec and Paddys Day are also very low for number of babies born.

Ah jaysus, I've no idea. Will base my guess on how many new babies were in the ward when I had mine and multiply by 10

tenor.gif?itemid=3625953

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

OK, we're all in :)

So, I don't actually have last years number's but in 2018 it was 90, last year would have been similar. And sure, only the median matters

Sweet Jesus, I knew the 60,000 in a year figure but 90 is low :(

tenor.gif?itemid=3625953
    You'll get repetitive strain injury from posting that gif :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

tenor.gif?itemid=3625953

This!

You'll get repetitive strain injury from posting that gif :D

Yesterday was just the words today it needs the real thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

duffman13 wrote: »

Same. Never even thought of planned deliveries which wouldn’t be booked for that day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

He's had a busy day at the Honey Bee Inn I heard

tenor.gif?itemid=18041662

Morto, dancing with my arch nemesis !

main-qimg-79f479035fe15fe28e911aef2ea21185.webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

duffman13 wrote: »
    Collie D wrote: »
    Same. Never even thought of planned deliveries which wouldn’t be booked for that day.
    My hope for this round not to end with me getting a minus score is creeping up infitesimally.......

But will you all have been as far wrong as I was???

Advertisement