Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Everyone loves a bit of Creedence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

ShaneU wrote: »

I never knew that they did a cover of Ricky Nelson's Hello Mary Lou.

I know Ike and Tina Turner did a cover of Creedence's Proud Mary:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ShaneU wrote: »

No, we don't. . . :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I shouldn't have looked up up the answer after sending mine in :(

I've gone back a few pages and I can't find that picture of Ted going so this will have to do instead.

[insert image]fr_ted_oh_bollox.gif[/insert image]

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I shouldn't have looked up up the answer after sending mine in :(

I've gone back a few pages and I can't find that picture of Ted going so this will have to do instead.

[insert image]fr_ted_oh_bollox.gif[/insert image]

I'm in the same boat, so allow me for both of us

tumblr_m6nogwESUx1rwuopao1_r1_250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Logged in to check the question. Ah Jesus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Logged in to check the question. Ah Jesus.....
    No, that's tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hey! No one told me we were doing Mary songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Q17: We now all know there were 60,000 babies born last year. How many of them were called Mary?
    Post work bump for bubbly, Builebeag, Heidi, kitten and Sephi

• Advertisement

Post work bump for bubbly, Builebeag, Heidi, kitten and Sephi

But I don't have an answer!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

But I don't have an answer!!!!!!

Use mine ;)

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Use mine ;)
    I wouldn't recommend that, Builebeag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Say 1,000,000 so that the rest of us will all get good scores ;)

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Use mine ;)

Ok. Think about it really hard and I'll use telepathy to figure it out.

There's nothing in the rules about telepathy!!

Ouch!! Poor ecto.

Nevermind Ecto, I'll make up my own.

Ouch!! Poor ecto.

Nevermind Ecto, I'll make up my own.
    Ha ha, I genuinely have no idea what Ecto's answer was, it may be perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Noooooooooooo

Probably good advice tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Say 1,000,000 so that the rest of us will all get good scores ;)

Not necessary, my answer should help you there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The answer is ..........

*Drum roll*

Too fiddy

:pac:

• Advertisement

HW__0008_HW24_TMKitten.jpg

Anyone seen kitten_k anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

HW__0008_HW24_TMKitten.jpg

Anyone seen kitten_k anywhere?

Dindn't you put her in a bin recently?:cool:

khalessi wrote: »
    Dindn't you put her in a bin recently?:cool:
    oh-****-i-c2n0lp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Sorry EN mental day!!

OK, we're all in :)

The correct answer was...

536426.png

Reveal coming pretty quickly tonight...!

kitten_k wrote: »
    Sorry EN mental day!!
    No probs :)

This is evil. You are pure evil. I do know Emily was the most popular girls name but that's about it.

Well speaking as a Mary I feel like I should be uniquely qualified to answer this question. However, like I said yesterday, I know ****-all about babies.
    But I do know that the name has fallen out of favour with the public in recent times which is fine by me. I hate my name. Better than the alternative though, which for my parents was Maud. *shudder* The only Mary's these days will be named after mothers and grandmothers by proper traditionalists. Most other people these days call their kids Peach or Saytyre or Mayree or some other bull**** like that.

Ooooh. Not so many (famous last words) but I'm thinking "Mary" has really gone out of fashion. In my wife's day a third of her class were Marys. Which gets us totally nowhere. :(

I'm familiar with that baby name checker from the CSO. I remember looking up Marys and Johns etc on it last year or the year before and was surprised that there were as many as there were on it. My transition years knocked great craic out of it seeing the trends for names. Also disappointed that my name hasn't appeared since 2010, I'm going extinct. Also amused to track the careers of Kylie Minogue, Beyonce and various Kardashians on it.

Afternoon, well I would say that name is less common than it used to be, it is all Riannah and lady gaga now.

Do people even name their children Mary anymore? Thought it was all Apple , Banana , Moon Rider etc these days :pac:

Who knows I surrender and go with yesterdays answer. Do variations like Muire count? Head fried. Congrats I am a wreck for Christmas. :D

Another one that I have no idea, other that the name Mary is very popular in Ireland.

I don't think it is as popular a name as it used to be.

Hmmm. It's probably considered quite an old-fashioned name these days and even when I was a child many years ago I don't remember any kids at school with the name. It could be popular enough with some of our non-Irish born community though. I'm overthinking so I'll just gamble on a low number and go with my birthday again...

I've been a bit pre-occupied the past few days, so I blame that for my poor performance... but I don't have an excuse for the previous two weeks, so I obviously just suck at this. As for today, I dunno, is Mary a popular name anymore, I feel like it isn't, very tempting to go for a single digit, as I'd say there are more Rihannas than Marys... Don't think I know of anyone under thirty named Mary, and can only think of a couple of people in their thirties with the name. Upwards of forty and it starts to feel more popular again, a lot (and I mean a lot) of my friends mother's are named Mary, but they're all in their late fifties or older, so definitely its gone out of fashion. Máire or Marie would still be pretty popular, but not a standard old school Mary I don't think. It'll swing back around sooner or later, but for now I'm going low... I'm gonna regret this I'm sure...

60,000 babies. So roughly 30,000 girls. Mary's nowhere near as popular as it used to be, unless there's been a trend for 'old woman' names to come back into fashion. If 1% of the girls were called Mary that would give me 300....and that still seems like a lot, considering how many different names there are out there.

60000, 30000 girls, gonna say less than 1% where called mary, 300, as I don't think it is popular at the moment...

So, my basic maths are: half the babies are girls - 30000. and 1 in 6 have the name Mary...

This was on the radioyesterday morning...

Had this in a quiz at the start of lockdown, can't remember now...

My middle name is Mary and I’m not a bloke!

Mary Mary quite contrary
    Feck this sheepish show!

So happy I was close to the actual answer yesterday even if I didn't get full marks. That'll do my for the whole competition really. For this one I'm guessing around 30,000 are girls (assuming no or very very few boys are called Mary), and Mary is probably in the top 30 names

Tough one this, Mary is popular but is it as common as it would have been 10 or 20 years ago. You also have to consider the dropoff between most frequent names and everyone else

60,000 births a year, so it's between 1 and 30,000 then...

This is interesting. I know my pal has had 2 babies in the last couple of years and gone a bit old fashioned with names due to naming them after parents etc. so it maybe higher than I'd think which is around 10

This is very hard. I am basing my answer on half of the babies being girls, maybe 1% of the persuasion that might prefer old fashioned names. Divide that between Mary, Kathleen, Bridget, Bernadette, Eileen and Maureen...

60000 babies and I havent heard of one called Mary in recent years

I was trying to think when the last time I heard of a baby being called Mary and I couldn't think of any in the last 10 years but presumably there are some. I don't think it's in the top 10

I just don't know!!!! :(:( I'm gonna halve yesterday's sh1tshow of an answer

Ummmm....... feck, these are getting harder by the day...... Going on the basis that I know literally nobody under about 55 who's called Mary, I'm going low for this....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ah oh. . . minus points incoming, I'm very far far far far far away. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Praying for a super-high median

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is that cert an actual thing or did you do it up yourself? It’s quite cute and would make a nice little gift to any new parents IMO.

Advertisement