Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

But I'm guessing you won't guess 10,000 :D
    Um... can I change my answer? :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

But I'm guessing you won't guess 10,000 :D

Surely though, with such small margins, being out by a couple could make a big difference in the score? By that I mean I gavent a clue how the scores work :D

Anyways, you shoulda went with the UK charts, I woulda had a better idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    Surely though, with such small margins, being out by a couple could make a big difference in the score? By that I mean I gavent a clue how the scores work :D
    It could do, yeah ;)

Kolido wrote: »
    Anyways, you shoulda went with the UK charts, I woulda had a better idea !

What?

Read the post properly, Bubbly ya thick!!
    Ah feck it, might go for the fastest race to the bottom :)

Q19: How many times has the winner of the British X Factor been the Irish Christmas number One?

Lunchtime bump, 37/47 answers in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,331 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can name precisely one X Factor winner (well, two now that someone up above has said Little Mix won). The ones who came second always seem to have done better in the long run!

I have never watched it, and don't know how many years it's been running - so don't know even what the potential range of answers is :(

Can we have another Die Hard question, please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

While you're all waiting for the next answer to be revealed, why not go and take a look at the Forum Games Awards thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058027470

It's finally happening, and the categories have been released...

Necro wrote: »
    While you're all waiting for the next answer to be revealed, why not go and take a look at the Forum Games Awards thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058027470

It's finally happening, and the categories have been released...
    And obviously vote for the Advent Calendar, despite how much you hate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

And obviously vote for the Advent Calendar, despite how much you hate it :D

Sorry, I couldn't find the Most Frustratingly Annoying Game Ever Category or would've definitely thrown a vote to Advent Calendar... ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The greatest Christmas number one of all time with the added bonus of a successful campaign to keep that X Factor crap off the No 1 spot is......

• Advertisement

The greatest Christmas number one of all time with the added bonus of a successful campaign to keep that X Factor crap off the No 1 spot is......

They put on a free show in London to celebrate. I went to it, it was awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't feel entitled to vote in any of that because:

I have only played Advent Calendar and I could not find it in the list
    I don't know what a walrus is (apart from a fat roly sea creature)
    I didn't understand most of the lists (but see point 1)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Do I get a bonus 19 points if today is my birthday?

:pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    Do I get a bonus 19 points if today is my birthday?

If Mayo wins, green and red will donate all the point he has amassed to those in the bottom 10

If Mayo wins, green and red will donate all the point he has amassed to those in the bottom 10
    Aarghh, thought it was tomorrow! I haven't been paying attention :eek:

It's always Sunday, isn't it?

Anyway, despite being a Dublin resident, come on Mayo!

Great set of answers today :)

All but one in. As always, I dedicate this song to Sephi :D

PointedSlimyHammerheadbird-small.gif

tumblr_ldj5ilpcqg1qa86ou.gif

:(

I dedicate this song to Sephi :D

He's making me wait too!
    Answer, comments, scores etc will all come together later, soon after 8 hopefully

Is there any need to wait for Seph?

I mean, they're the personification of midtable mediocrity. Nobody cares about what happens in midtable.

I'd say something if we were waiting on one of the table-toppers or bottom dwellers...

• Advertisement

Nooo! Wait for Seph EN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, you'd wait for me?! That's nice.

I mean, they're the personification of midtable mediocrity. Nobody cares about what happens in midtable.

I'd say something if we were waiting on one of the table-toppers or bottom dwellers...

I sense an angry cat gif coming your way shortly :D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wow never been serenaded with song before :D:D

so sorry for being late :o

OK, we're all in :D

Today's correct answer is eight

According to Wikipedia, from 2006 to 2013, every winner of the Irish Christmas number one came from the winning contestant of that year's series of the British reality contest The X Factor
    2006 | Leona Lewis | A Moment Like This
    2007 | Leon Jackson | When You Believe
    2008 | Alexandra Burke | Hallelujah
    2009 | Joe McElderry | The Climb
    2010 | Matt Cardle | When We Collide
    2011 | Little Mix | Cannonball
    2012 | James Arthur | Impossible
    2013 | Sam Bailey | Skyscraper

Full reveal around 8ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sephiroth clearly busy getting ready for his appearance in Smash Bros

Now this might make a big difference to the lead... The slide might genuinely happen today. I reckon X Factor has been going about 15 years. Certainly there would have been more no 1 s in the UK than in Ireland and campaigns in later years to keep them off the top spots

X Factor is 20? years old so wouldn't be surprised if at least half the time it had produced the christmas number 1 here.

There's been about 15 X-Factor seasons, ish. And the later ones were less likely to be Christmas #1's 'cause a lot people stopped caring.

There was a run of them there every year for a good while until people got fed up of Simon Cowell feeling entitled to the No. 1 spot and everyone went and bought Rage Against the Machine and I think that put an end to it. I think little mix were one of them and I think they are on the go about 10 years. Only know that because it was in the news this week about Jesy leaving the band. But they weren’t the first and they weren’t the last but I think they were near the end of the run of number ones.. There must have been about 5 before them. I don’t think they were the last. Think it might have been that Matt Cardle fella

So XFactor has been running for about 15 years. Allow for some early ones when it might not have been such a push and the ones recently like when there have been pushes and campaigns against the XFactor getting to #1. I also wonder of XFactor is as big a deal here as it is in the UK.

Who even watches that?

Well, surely a low single digit number, right?
    The show has been going on for, what, 15 years or so.
    But I wouldn't expect many of them to occupy the Christmas number 1 - Little Mix maybe?
    I'm tempted to say zero

There was pop idol first, so if X-factor is going about 12 or 13 years ans every second one gets to No. 1

I don't even know how long this rubbish is on tv but it seems like forever.

...some count will young but think he was popstars or something similar but not xfactor

Ok so for today, I think X factor started in 2004 so we're looking at at a max of 16, but we all know 2012 was the last decent year so it definitely didn't make Christmas no 1 after that which leaves 12, but it definitely lost to rage against the machine one year

...I reckon it might be a bit higher than that but I'd rather pretend that people have more taste than they do.

Who listens to the sh1te that gets produced on the back of that show. Answer should be 0.

Ok so you're just making me feel old now. Spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out when X Factor started. Was it on when I was in college almost 20 frickin years ago? I don't think so. So I'm estimating that it started in about 2005. And there's no way it had a #1 in every one of those 15 years.

Morning, sad to say I might know this... I hang my head in shame. Please forgive me

I know that X Factor winners were pretty much guaranteed to get Christmas Number 1 up until the Rage against the Machine campaign but I have no idea what happened in the years since

I HATED X Factor and their terrible covers getting to number one every year! The cover of Damien Rice's Cannonball was the final straw for me! The last person to come out of that show with any talent was Leona Lewis and what happened to her? I know they got a lot of number ones in the UK but haven't a clue about the Irish charts

NONE OF THEM WERE CHRISTMAS SONGS FFS! Used to love the X Factor up until around 2013 or so, bit surprised it's still running as the lustre has long ago left what used to be a relatively fresh format (not saying the music was good, but the auditions phase in particular were very entertaining)

Ah here. How old is that show even? Ten years maybe? I have no idea

Feel like I should be able to work this one out if I put enough thought in to it, but on the other hand, am I really that arsed? Think it started in 2001, but don't think the first winner got to #1. From year two onwards I think it was #1 every year, but the only names really jumping out at me as definites are Shane Ward, Alexandra Burke, and Leona Lewis. Did Olly Murs win his series or was he a second placer? I feel like some of the bigger acts to come from X Factor, like One Direction and JLS never actually won their years, but that doesn't mean the actual winners didn't have a number one, just can't remember who they were. I feel like Matt Cardles's year was the year of the campaign to get Rage Against The Machine to #1 as a protest, which I believe was successful in the UK, but not here and X-Factor still won out. That was of course the beginning of the end for X-Factors' chart domination and Cowell switched up the format so the focus wasn't to get a Christmas #1 anymore... and I feel that Rage Against The X-Factor happened in 2012...

Feckin' X Factor. Like, I mean - really??? :mad:

I think that perhaps that they only missed out on the number one spot once when the amazingly awesome RATM launched their campaign to stop the X Factor number one with Killing In The Name Of.......but the problem I have is determining how bloody long that God awful, sob story induced roadkill has been on the telly. I know Leona Lewis, Alexdandra Burke, the binman, Little Mix have won it. Did Shane Ward win it? Did Little Mix beat One D? I don't watch this ****e so it will have to be a complete guess.

XF and all it stands for irks me , sob stories , blah blah blah. yuck

Simon Cowell is a c*nt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

1r0dpc.jpg

Nooo! Wait for Seph EN!!

Thanks for that BB :D Have some flowers :D

original.gif

• Advertisement

OK, we're all in :D

Today's correct answer is eight

According to Wikipedia, from 2006 to 2013, every winner of the Irish Christmas number one came from the winning contestant of that year's series of the British reality contest The X Factor
    2006 | Leona Lewis | A Moment Like This
    2007 | Leon Jackson | When You Believe
    2008 | Alexandra Burke | Hallelujah
    2009 | Joe McElderry | The Climb
    2010 | Matt Cardle | When We Collide
    2011 | Little Mix | Cannonball
    2012 | James Arthur | Impossible
    2013 | Sam Bailey | Skyscraper

Full reveal around 8ish!

:pac::pac::pac:

giphy.gif

Advertisement