Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

Makes perfect sense to me, spook.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Makes perfect sense to me, spook.

:p
    ...compared to your PM it does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Geography 101

A great circle ( longitude ) is the same length as the equator
    There are 360 degrees in a circle
    So length of each degree of a circle is equator/360
    Turn it through 90 degrees so you are working with Longitude instead of Latitude and you end up with Marley Park in July, simple really the answer is between 2/7/2021 and 4/7/2021

https://www.longitude.ie/

Is that miles or km though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Tomorrow's question: on average, how many chimneys around the world does Santa go down every year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I converted from nautical miles to km - how's that for fancy?? ;):D

Yeah I gave my answer in nautical miles - how dumb is that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But how many nautical miles are there in a furlong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I made a complete mess of this. Tried mathsing and on seeing the right answer I had the correct logic but the wrong starting point.

Basically if e = mc2 I used W.

Q23: How far, in kilometres, is it from the North Pole to Ireland?
    Bumpy McBumpFace
    38 answers in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tomorrow's question: on average, how many chimneys around the world does Santa go down every year? :D
    Psst! If you go back and peruse the thread, I think you'll find that Nitty has given us the answer already. ;)

• meh.

• Advertisement

Don’t forget to sign up for the Die Hard Christmas game!

Don't forget to sign up for PEEHS - Music Acts Picture Peehs (PART 2) - especially those who took part in Part 1 but have not signed up for Part 2 yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Don't forget to sign up for PEEHS - Music Acts Picture Peehs (PART 2) - especially those who took part in Part 1 but have not signed up for Part 2 yet! :D

If you sign up for Die Hard I'll sign up for PEEHS ;) Cant have fairer than that like

duffman13 wrote: »
    If you sign up for Die Hard I'll sign up for PEEHS ;) Cant have fairer than that like

Sorry, I don't really like those particular Forum Games where you have to do some action. Anyway, I was just trying to help Reb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Sorry, I don't really like those particular Forum Games where you have to do some action. Anyway, I was just trying to help Reb!

Appreciate your efforts Declan but it's all about bribes, blackmail and sexual favours in return here on forum games. Nothing for free in this cut-throat world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Reberetta wrote: »
    Appreciate your efforts Declan but it's all about bribes, blackmail and sexual favours in return here on forum games. Nothing for free in this cut-throat world.

That's why I'm near the ass end :(

Purgative wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Purgative wrote: »
    :eek: Don't mention the A word on Forum Games!
    They might think you are offering sexual favours to win.

One hour klaxon for Dave, 2D, Shelly and Sephi!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

One hour klaxon for Dave, 2D, Shelly and Sephi!

Seph must be out herding cats till this time each evening :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Necro wrote: »

He has sent the cats out to find out what we submitted & has hacked a median spreadsheet of his own to calculate his answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    He has sent the cats out to find out what we submitted & has hacked a median spreadsheet of his own to calculate his answer.

Some of yiz has very complicated brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,421 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

According to the map on my wall we are 6cm from the North Pole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Necro wrote: »

Herding kittens actually necro :pac:

tenor.gif
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »

f30cyca44rj31.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Oh bugger. Did I miss the boat? Not being in work has messed with my timings :o

Oh bugger. Did I miss the boat? Not being in work has messed with my timings :o
    Nah, you're grand Dave - fire an answer over now. I'm having technical difficulties anyway (toddler won't go to bed) so let's say 8:30 for the reveal

OK folks, apologies for the delay...

The correct answer today is 3853km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

OK folks, apologies for the delay...

The correct answer today is 3853km

Oh no.

Some great maths today :D

Another day, another wild and without much thought guess, getting to be a regular thing now. Seems reasonable. Bet loads complain about not using miles :P

I know the answer to this one, why does knowing the answer always make it worse?

thank you for turning us all into a bunch of hair pulling , teeth grinding , happy people with this game , appreciate it , thank you :)

I hate this type of question, where you're likely to get your ass handed to you. Like "Did you misread the question he said the North Pole not Mars, or not Dundalk"

These questions are getting progressively worse. I'm not even entirely sure where the North Pole is in relation to Ireland, other than like, at the top.

Nice question :) I have it in my head that the Earth has a circumference of 22,015 kilometres. So 1 degree of latitude would be roughly 61 km and Malin is about 58 degrees north? So 32 degrees difference. Lot of semi educated guessing here

So based on Ireland being around 500km long and mentally stacking Irelands on a map (very scientific) to get to the top of a globe maybe 8/9 of them? For some reason I feel like the North Pole isn't the exact top that it's a bit wonky but would that make it longer or shorter?

I hate these kind of questions. They show everyone how stupid I am :(

No idea, dropping down table like a stone now anyway so mid table obscurity beckons....

There's no point in even trying to work this out, so fupp it!! :pac:

Surely it cant be that much...

Well Ireland is about 500km top to bottom (maybe). But how to relate that to the looooong stretch of sea above Ireland...... not sure where that nugget gets me, actually.....
    Different tack so......Took two hours roughly to fly from Dublin to Oslo I think - would it be twice that distance up to the pole?? So you fly at about 350 somethings per hour, but is it miles or kms??? Oh no.... hold on a minute there now..... Dublin is 53 degrees north, NP is 90 degrees north, so that's 37 degrees difference. Knock off a couple for getting to Malin Head, let's call it 35. 60 minutes in a degree, a minute equals a nautical mile, so that's 60 x 35 = 2100NM

Can this wait until after Christmas, I have asked Santa for a tape measure.

A physics question! This is right up my alley! I do geocaching and know that Malin is 55 degrees north or thereabouts. Radius of earth = 6.4 x 10^6m
    Circumference of earth = 2 x pi x r = 40192km. So the circumference of the earth is approx 40,000km as it’s flatter at the poles (who said teaching physics would never be useful). So.....

I know that Iceland is around 1500 kilometres from Ireland and the North Pole would be above Greenland anyway, so I will triple that and add 20% tip, so. . .

The proclaimers walked 500 miles and then they walked 500 more and they’d be above Iceland and some of Norway and Greenland so about halfway to the North Pole? So 2000 miles from their gaff but that’s in Scotland and nearer to the North Pole than Malin Head. If I drive 50 miles an hour that’s around 80kmh in new money. 80 x 4 = 320. Add another zero as per the song makes it 3200 plus another 100km being the difference between the proclaimers house and Malin Head.

I actually think I have a pretty accurate answer today.......not that it matters here!

Elves are all useless today. Stab in the dark

So my house in Tipp where I currently am is about 250 miles to Malin Head. And I'm guesstimating that its about 5 times that to the North Pole. The closest I've gotten to Santa is NordKapp in Norway. The most northerly point on mainland Europe. Twas a bit chilly.

Bring out the calculator. Equator is approx. 40000 Km therefore a degree is approx. 111Km 40000/360. Ireland lies around 55 degrees north so is 35 degrees south of the North Pole

Advent Day Twenty-Freeze (three, freeze.....dja'geddit?)
    ....you see, twenty-freeze sounds somewhat like twenty-three, and snow tends to be associated with Christmas and it's generally quite cold. That's it. That's the joke. I love good observational humour.

You may as well have asked How Long Is a Piece of String...

I know Dublin is around 5,000km from New York, so I'm guessing Ireland is slightly closer to the North Pole than that

We can maths this! (So says my husband!)
    The equator is about 23000 miles around. We’re at about 53 degree latitude which puts us at kinda of.....2/3 up from there too...
    So 23000 miles is about 37000 km
    And 37000/4 is 9250 as its a quarter from the North Pole to the equater.
    A bit of the way up from the equator like maybe 2/3s up from the equater. But we’re not at the equator so 2/3 of 9250 is 2700 odd? My husband and father in law insist this is my answer lol

So I think one of the two stooges on I'm A Celeb said that the UK is 8,000 miles away from Australia. So from looking at the map on my wall that is 24/25 cm considering I don't know at what point in the UK they started at and how far into Australia they stopped. So I'll say 8,000 miles divided by 25cm is 320 miles per cm. Ireland (starting from Dublin as there are no direct flights from Cork) is 6cm away from Lapland (I hope to God Lapland and the North Pole are the one in the same!) so I multiply 6cm by 320 miles to get 1,920 miles which converts roughly to 3,080km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

So where is the North Pole exactly?

Advertisement