Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Aww thanks. You guys have a real good cop, bad cop routine going!

It is a routine right? He doesn't just hate me right??!

How could anyone hate you. You have to an air of badass as a mod.

Don't tell anyone I am a real softie.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    How could anyone hate you. You have to an air of badass as a mod.

:):):) I won't tell a soul. It stays between you and me.

And you know....

All of them.. *points in every direction*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Should you report it if you know someone's account has been hacked, but you prefer the imposter? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

My user name kind of gives away my age. ( Must look into changing that someday). I have used that to work out my answer, similar to DV8

But as I have very little chance to winning now, I'm just hoping for huge variance in answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Siobh73 wrote: »
    My user name kind of gives away my age. ( Must look into changing that someday). I have used that to work out my answer, similar to DV8

But as I have very little chance to winning now, I'm just hoping for huge variance in answers...

I'm hoping for a massive massive variance to get off the bottom spot! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Did you know that David Bowie who did the intro for The Snowman, only asked for the scarf for payment to give to his son, Zowie/Duncan. The sweet part is that Duncan found the scarf recently and put the photo of him wearing it on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've just finished calculating MY alternative scoreboard, and guess what?
    I'm leading by 70,000 points :cool:
    Everyone else is in minus points :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Should you report it if you know someone's account has been hacked, but you prefer the imposter? :confused:

Keep schtum, or the "other" one will come back.

Q24: "Walking In The Air" was sung by Peter Auty on the soundtrack of The Snowman. How old is he now?
    Bumpity-bump
    38 answers in

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Siobh73 wrote: »

Oh is that your age? I thought it was the year you were born!

• Advertisement

read-the-questions-carefully.jpg

No reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Right just watched it on C4, so i know the year it was made.

45min klaxon for Barney, Ecto... and Sephi

read-the-questions-carefully.jpg

Sorry, don't know why I quoted that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hadn't a notion when I was sending in my answer and just made up some bullsh*t logic based on a lot of ifs, buts, and maybes... turns out it wasn't bullsh*t after all and I was pretty much spot on about absolutely everything...

giphy.gif

Look, I know the median will f**k me over and it makes no difference because I'll still be down at the bottom of the leaderboard, but this has probably been the worst performance of my Forum Games career, so let me have this moment of small victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

looksee wrote: »
    Oh is that your age? I thought it was the year you were born!

I'm not saying either way...

...this has probably been the worst performance of my Forum Games career, so let me have this moment of small victory.
    tumblr_mmr883PokL1s5bb8ko1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Will submit as soon as I've read the question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Will submit as soon as I've read the question :)

And done

• Registered Users Posts: 30,421 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Oh no!!! I just realised that I read the question wrong :o:D

Oh no!!! I just realised that I read the question wrong :o:D
    You can change it, it's Christmas :D

You're not the only one... :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So sorry en Ill send in answer now

I'm assuming I read it wrong but I don't understand and I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna win now anyways.. so nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,421 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

You can change it, it's Christmas :D

You're not the only one... :o

Oh really, thanks a mill, I'll pm you there but....

... If I'm not the only one should I change it?

You are messing with my head EN!!! :p

Oh really, thanks a mill, I'll pm you there but....

... If I'm not the only one should I change it?

You are messing with my head EN!!! :p
    tenor.gif

OK, we're all in

So our friend Peter is 51!
    wiki wrote:
    Auty was a choirboy who sang at St Paul's Cathedral. At the age of 13, he sang "Walking in the Air", the theme song of the 1982 animated film, The Snowman, but in the rush to finish the film his name was omitted from the credits until the film was remastered in 2002. The composer, Howard Blake decided to re-record the song for a commercial for Toys "R" Us in 1985, but Auty's voice had broken by then. Aled Jones was chosen instead and the song became a hit single. Many people assumed that Jones was the singer in the version used in the film.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yussssssssssss

That was released early 80s? So he would have been early teens then? So gonna go with my age plus 10...

Snowman was released at least originally before I was born. 1982 I think? Probably 13 or so when he sang that

Wow! I always thought Aled Jones sang this. I did actually watch it recently and I think it was made in 1981. Singer can’t be older than 11

Ok everyday is a school day. Didn’t know that someone else sang on the snowman other than Aled Jones.

Hmm. Think it was early - mid 80s and he was probably around 10. That puts him in the same decade as myself

The film was released around the time I was born, and I'm sure he was only a young lad at the time, maybe a teenager..

Sephi & Teddo, get a room :P

Normally I'd go a round number but with GnR in front by .8 I've gotta take a little risk.

I'm really hoping that this isn't some sort of trick question, where it transpires that the recording was from twenty years before the film was released....

The only thing I hate more than the animation in that film is that feckin' song. Thanks for ruining Christmas Eve!

Well I have no hope left except for middle of the bottom obscurity!!

No idea who Peter Auty is and I don't think I have ever seen The Snowman.

The Snowman could've been made anytime from the 1940s to the 1980s, but for some reason I associate it with Channel 4 which came on the scene in 82 or 83 I think, and I don't know why I associate it with Channel 4, but maybe it was because that's where it aired for the first time. Then there's the question of what age the dude you mentioned was (I forget his name and am too lazy to go back to the thread mid-message to check) but was he the kid in the Snowman? Its the best I got anyway, and he was probably about 11 at the time, but I'll round up for the median...
    Its a lot of assumptions they're probably wrong, but will go for...

So I'm estimating that The Snowman came out in 1985. Actually have no idea though but I do remember it from my childhood. And estimating that a child male soprano (I'm sure theres a name for that but apart from Castrato which I KNOW isn't a thing anymore I can't think of what that might be) would have to be under 12 I think yer man Peter would've been 10. So......maths......

I should know this as I was checking UK xmas number 1s recently and I think this was one but me being me, I've forgotten

Is this the last one??? Not sure if I'm sad or very, very glad!! Right.... never heard of yer man, but he had to be a kid of about 10-12 when he recorded it..... I know roughly what age Aled Jones is, so the question is, how long was the film around before he got his grubby (very successful) mitts on it???? I think it looks very 70s.....

That movie came out late eighties/ early 90's I think. And his voice is too high to have reached puberty yet so let's say he was 10 when it came out.

Never seen the movie, don't have a clue. Yes, it's that time of the day again, ladies and gentlemen... it's random guess time! :D

Well , I'm in my early fifties , and can remember it for as long as I can think

Sooo I think that the Snowman would have been early 80s. The singer has that not quite teens or very early teens sound about him.

It is his age now your looking for isn't it? I'm hungover

I know the song was sung by a teenager and the film was released in the eighties so just going for a nice round sit on the fence number again.

Aaaw, last answer. :(

I have never seen the snowman. Nor do I know who this Peter person is. But I presume he was a child then based on the gif of the snowman you posted and I'm fairly sure the snowman was released sometime in the early 70s / late 80s because I know my mother watched it as a child. So based on him being a child in 1980 but obviously old enough to sing, I'm going to say he was 10

I think the Snowman came out around the same year as ET and it was my first year not believing in Santa. We got a video player for Christmas in the house so it was a significant year as to what was watched on the day.
    I reckon the singer would have been pre puberty to hit those high notes

Haven’t a clue when it’s from and I’m totally distracted so wild guess

Some very rough guesswork and maths has arrived me at an answer

i'm guessing he was 25, 35 years ago

I'm not sure how high to go

Right so if I wasn't the only one and assuming this will drag down the median quite a bit, I think I'll try to anticipate the median and go with...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I realised when I checked that I had counted decades wrong and was 10 years out from what I intended to put. Then I realised it didn't matter a damn anyway :D And then, median, median.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

OK, we're all in

well, turns out I wasn't that far out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

OK, we're all in

There goes my final surge. :(

Advertisement