Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economist & Policy Analyst Graduate Role

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

For sure it isn’t ideal. Its a long process too. I would assume roles start in September as they wanted all masters applicants finished by 1st September . I was fortunate my work is retail and I am due to finish soon anyway as I’ve a placement over summer for my masters thesis.

I wonder if there will be a mass start date then.
    Has anyone from either batch actually started work yet?
    Or even found out their department?

I did get chased up to complete my Garda vetting application so maybe they are working to some deadline themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 High_castle

friend of a friend has been assigned and is starting in the summer. That's all I know

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlueAW

friend of a friend has been assigned and is starting in the summer. That's all I know
    That’s a good sign, hopefully will start flying through them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FlatEnt

I got a message through my portal early last week saying I had been assigned (no information as to what department/office) - for reference, I am high on the OOM in batch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Barbarian98

FlatEnt wrote: »
    I got a message through my portal early last week saying I had been assigned (no information as to what department/office) - for reference, I am high on the OOM in batch 2.

Congrats , how long after clearance was finished did you get the message 🙃

• Advertisement

Congrats , how long after clearance was finished did you get the message ðŸ™႒

7 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lolly101

congrats FlantEnt! just wondering was the asssignment after PAS checked ur current/previous employer references?

Thank you!

Yeah it was - it’s a tough slog but luckily my current employer (and previous) were happy to help.

great! hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait in regard to department assignment/start dates etc.. looks like there are a few opportunities this year. Atm I am waiting to hear back that PAS will contact my referees. my vetting cleared last week

lolly101 wrote: »
    great! hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait in regard to department assignment/start dates etc.. looks like there are a few opportunities this year. Atm I am waiting to hear back that PAS will contact my referees. my vetting cleared last week

Goodluck! I hope you hear soon too.

• Advertisement

From looks of it Clearance officers work at different paces some are rapid getting back after vetting . What was your OOM ? 10+ or <10 ? If you dont mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 37 KD1934

FlatEnt wrote: »

Well done! Hopefully you’ll hear from the department soon.

Need to some advice - I’m going through clearance at the moment and currently in a job. I don’t think my manager will be happy when I tell him I’m leaving and also need a reference. When PAS contact asking for permission to contact my current employer, should I hand in my months notice then? I’m just worried that I might be left out of work for a few weeks if I don’t get assigned to a position within the month. It’s a tricky situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

KD1934 wrote: »
    Need to some advice - I’m going through clearance at the moment and currently in a job. I don’t think my manager will be happy when I tell him I’m leaving and also need a reference. When PAS contact asking for permission to contact my current employer, should I hand in my months notice then? I’m just worried that I might be left out of work for a few weeks if I don’t get assigned to a position within the month. It’s a tricky situation.

Tough going - I’d definitely explain to PAS your situation and ask if they can hold off contacting your current employer unless there is a job ready to go. They must fully understand the predicament it puts you in, more so than the private sector even, given the delay in moving between stages in these competitions.

It could also be worth seeing if you could hand in your notice to finish in six weeks or even two months - risky as you might be told to just leave after the month but could give you a cushion if there is a delay in being placed.

Tough going - I’d definitely explain to PAS your situation and ask if they can hold off contacting your current employer unless there is a job ready to go. They must fully understand the predicament it puts you in, more so than the private sector even, given the delay in moving between stages in these competitions.

It could also be worth seeing if you could hand in your notice to finish in six weeks or even two months - risky as you might be told to just leave after the month but could give you a cushion if there is a delay in being placed.

Thanks, yes might just explain my situation when PAS contact me. I’m sure they’ve seen this a million times, more just worried about paying rent etc if theres a gap between jobs but the 6 weeks notice might be a solution!

Hopefully seeing from everyone else’s experiences, I can tell roughly how long it takes from contacting your employer to actually starting.

any other movement/assignments? I'm still waiting to hear back from pas on past references .. jw what oom has been assigned a post so far in batch 2?

any other movement/assignments? I'm still waiting to hear back from pas on past references .. jw what oom has been assigned a post so far in batch 2?

I got my assignment message yesterday so just waiting for the department to make contact.

congrats shatter resistant, that's great! question - do they acknowledge that you've 'passed' clearance, or before they contact current employer. im presuming after they contact current, waiting time is about 1-2weeks for assignment?

congrats shatter resistant, that's great! question - do they acknowledge that you've 'passed' clearance, or before they contact current employer. im presuming after they contact current, waiting time is about 1-2weeks for assignment?

Thanks a mill! They just emailed before to ask for permission to contact current employer - afaik they don’t take this step unless they have a job for you, so I took that email to mean I was home and dry barring a horrific reference. Emailed them a week or so after that for an update and he told me was submitting my file to his line manger that day. That was Friday gone, assigned then this Tuesday.
    So yeah 1-2 weeks sounds right. The assignment message was the first time you are clearly wished well on getting the job/confirmation etc.

So keen to get started, please god the department are quick to make contact!

brill, tks for update! I know pas just contacted my previous employer so I might give it a week and see if they contact my current and (hopefully) have a job too ... im 5-10 oom for ref!

• Advertisement

Im two weeks on friday since my current employer reference was sent in and I have heard nothing. In earlier parts of this thread it was 4 weeks or so before some people got assigned. Albeit that was earlier in year so probably less rush on PAS. Its driving me up the walls as I may have another job offer before I hear anything. I dont want to decline it if I get offered it and then not get offered this role with IGEES. For reference Im a postgrad at the moment so not a great outlook job wise. Im 11 on batch 2 for reference

ya same here.. I suppose (taking this with a pinch of salt) if they have contacted your current ref, you are likely of a job.. im still waiting for this step ... maybe you could chase ur officer and explain your situation and if there is defo a role there :?

ya same here.. I suppose (taking this with a pinch of salt) if they have contacted your current ref, you are likely of a job.. im still waiting for this step ... maybe you could chase ur officer and explain your situation and if there is defo a role there :? what oom are you also?

Im 11th so thinking about it I could be delayed as anyone ahead of me has to be assigned before me maybe ... Yeah like the pay difference I suspect is significant between the two roles as the alternative is an accounting training contract... I seen the AP salary also and I may just place my bets on this role. Assuming that if I was deemed unsuccesful I would have been told by now . I started clearance on the 20th April had my evetting submitted on 20th and completed by the 29th. Current employer was contacted and completed on 30th.

your prob right, Im higher on oom and haven't heard an update since contacting ex employer so maybe when I do and they contact current, u will follow.. I suppose we can be placed anytime b4 September its just an unsettling situation to be in

your prob right, Im higher on oom and haven't heard an update since contacting ex employer so maybe when I do and they contact current, u will follow.. I suppose we can be placed anytime b4 September its just an unsettling situation to be in

Yeah itll be before end of june probably, as from the general AO thread theres reference that most departments dont like to do much over july and august

Contacted by DPER this morning to see when I'm available to start work as there are a number of vacancies across a couple of departments to be filled sooner rather than later. Told them I was available to start immediately, have been passed on to my department this afternoon and am getting setup for a start date of Monday week as they're keen to get staff working as soon as possible. So the department allocated was based on being able start right away in my case.

Probably my last update on here but if anyone has any questions they can PM me!

Contacted by DPER this morning to see when I'm available to start work as there are a number of vacancies across a couple of departments to be filled sooner rather than later. Told them I was available to start immediately, have been passed on to my department this afternoon and am getting setup for a start date of Monday week as they're keen to get staff working as soon as possible. So the department allocated was based on being able start right away in my case.

Probably my last update on here but if anyone has any questions they can PM me!

Well done, that’s great news! Wish you all the best with starting.

KD1934 wrote: »
    Well done, that’s great news! Wish you all the best with starting.

Thanks KD, the very best of luck to you too!

great news shatterresistant :)@KD1934 or @barb have you had any updates?

• Advertisement

great news shatterresistant :)@KD1934 or @barb have you had any updates?

I bit the bullet emailed my clearance officer asking an update . No reply as of yet not but was worth a shot put mind at ease. If I hear anything ill throw it up here

Advertisement