Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economist & Policy Analyst Graduate Role

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 KD1934

lolly101 wrote: »
    great news shatterresistant :)@KD1934 or @barb have you had any updates?

No nothing, I might email and see what’s happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lolly101

okay I might email mine & update ye also. reading the thread again and wondering if @highcastle was assigned a position or anyone else from batch 1 otherwise its strange (but gud) they are on batch 2 .. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 High_castle

No, but what worries me the most is that we haven't heard from @goodstart, who should be assigned before me.
    My guess is that PAS knows that some of us can't start straight away like shatterresistant, so they let us wait while urgent positions are filled.

I emailed too, but as I said, I don't expect an answer

maybe but that is quite presumptuous .... i think it being only one batch for the oom might make more sense... as otherwise u should have been offered a position first and then have chosen to start at a later date ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Barbarian98

No, but what worries me the most is that we haven't heard from @goodstart, who should be assigned before me.
    My guess is that PAS knows that some of us can't start straight away like shatterresistant, so they let us wait while urgent positions are filled.

I emailed too, but as I said, I don't expect an answer

Was it long ago you emailed ? Yeah that would make sense not a fun situation, I can imagine as you got offered clearance ages before most of us .... Im only waiting a few weeks and its got me tormented. The only thing that confuses me is that they never asked recently when we could start. For example my thesis submission is 31st july not the 1st september cut off .. So I could start in early august I know thats an age away still but not long all the same as anyone assigned next week wouldnt probably start till june at earliest

• Advertisement

Was it long ago you emailed ? Yeah that would make sense not a fun situation, I can imagine as you got offered clearance ages before most of us .... Im only waiting a few weeks and its got me tormented. The only thing that confuses me is that they never asked recently when we could start. For example my thesis submission is 31st july not the 1st september cut off .. So I could start in early august I know thats an age away still but not long all the same as anyone assigned next week wouldnt probably start till june at earliest

Great News I just got assigned this morning . Anyone else get good news

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmaneiser

Anyone that has been assigned, have you what the location situation is, wfh at the moment obviously but for the rest of the year will there be some wfh some having to go to the office?

emmaneiser wrote: »
    Anyone that has been assigned, have you what the location situation is, wfh at the moment obviously but for the rest of the year will there be some wfh some having to go to the office?

I have been looking at the general AO thread and they mention that office will be expected when safe to do so . If you have a look there maybe more info

fair play @barb such a relief... I haven't heard back from my officer since mon... they were checking ex employer references but I know have only checked one so farr... i will probs email on mon again and see. JW cause I am a few positions b4 u, would your positioning almost guarantee that I will have one too at some d8 ... maybe a bit risky to presume :?

let us know what department and start d8 u get... very exciting news!

Have a good few people here been contacted by DPER to start? Still haven’t been able to get through to my clearance officer.

• Advertisement

have u been assigned a position @KD? I am still waiting to hear back frm clearance ..

have u been assigned a position @KD? I am still waiting to hear back frm clearance ..

No haven’t heard from my clearance officer at all!

strange.. do u mind me asking where you on oom? would you before @Barbarian98... ?

strange.. do u mind me asking where you on oom? would you before @Barbarian98... ?

I’m in the 0-5 OOM range.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Hey folks,
    For what it's worth: I'm through Garda clearance and they are now checking my references (most recent and current). I was a little over 10 in the OOM from the second batch of interviews.

Candidates are only called to clearance once there is an open position. If your Garda clearance and references check out, which they hopefully do, you get a job.

At this point I'm speculating, but I imagine that they can't tell you the job you're up for until after the clearance process because they fill the roles in demand as people make it through clearance. Hence, the position which opens to initiate your clearance procedure may not be the role you get assigned: but there will be a role.

On a different note: has anyone any insights into how IGEES AOs are viewed within the civil service?

From what I can make out, rather than being part of one department they're spread about each of the departments. Does that make the role a little isolated?

Are they considered similar to any other AOs or are they creatures unto their own?

ok u should have defo been called to clearance as i am 5-10 & waiting to hear back from officer since last week... i just don't see point of oom if they aren't going to adhere to it... so that why I think others who have been called (but are higher on oom) almost guarantee ur position to start sometime soon (hopefully)... thoughts?

On a different note: has anyone any insights into how IGEES AOs are viewed within the civil service?

From what I can make out, rather than being part of one department they're spread about each of the departments. Does that make the role a little isolated?

Are they considered similar to any other AOs or are they creatures unto their own?

I think there’s an IGEES team or two in each department so whichever department we are in, we will be working with other IGEES people in that team but yes probably don’t have much contact with IGEES colleagues in a different department.

ok u should have defo been called to clearance as i am 5-10 & waiting to hear back from officer since last week... i just don't see point of oom if they aren't going to adhere to it... so that why I think others who have been called (but are higher on oom) almost guarantee ur position to start sometime soon (hopefully)... thoughts?

Yeah the last time I talked to my clearance officer they were checking my previous references but haven’t heard anything since and I emailed last week.

tsk for reassurance @exitstageleft ... defo needed. i suppose different officers/reference checks work at Dif speeds so kinda depends... presuming all will have to check out before sep again regardless... when did they start ur clearance @exist?

I am not sure on how ao positions work tbh, don't even understand this one !

• Advertisement

Was just talking to my officer there, he's just in the middle of checking references, said it'll be at least a week, there's a queue waiting to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Are most applying for this role economics graduates?

Are most applying for this role economics graduates?

Well, I'm certainly not. But they know that and still want to hire me so I guess that's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Well, I'm certainly not. But they know that and still want to hire me so I guess that's alright.

Is your background in one of the other fields mentioned on the public jobs website? Mine is mentioned (social science) but I'm not sure if my skillset is well developed enough after my degree, particularly quantitative data methods. Was kind of forced to focus on qualitative research for my thesis.

I think they’ve really put an emphasis in recents years on recruiting people with social science skills and not just economic backgrounds so wouldn’t let that hold you back. I’m from an economic background myself.

KD1934 wrote: »
    I think they’ve really put an emphasis in recents years on recruiting people with social science skills and not just economic backgrounds so wouldn’t let that hold you back. I’m from an economic background myself.

I was 11th OOM no word from the department ive been assigned to yet @lolly... My background is somewhat varied I have a Maths / Stats undergrad then a hdip in economics and currently doing a masters in economics. My masters is more social science aligned than true economics though . No macro or micro covered in it at all

Just got my assignment notice, just have to wait to be contacted by DPER

emmaneiser wrote: »
    Just got my assignment notice, just have to wait to be contacted by DPER

That’s great, thanks for the update! When was your current employer contacted? Still waiting to get to that stage myself.

congrats! will dper then assign you to a department is it?
    Also @KD I am in the same boat.. 2 weeks since I heard back about ex employer references and moving to check current ...

• Advertisement

I was talking with my officer on Tuesday and he hadn't checked either yet said it'd be a week but I got the message today, I did send a ref from my current employer though so it might have sped it up.

Advertisement