Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New / Upgrade HTPC

Options
  • 24-11-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Back in 2012 I built this for my mum to use to stream Netflix / music etc..
    Item	Price
    Intel Celeron G540 Box, LGA1155	€38.49
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box	€66.75
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil	€50.50
    ASRock B75M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX	€80.31
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9	€31.49
    Shipping	€18.99
    Total	€286.53

and upgraded the PSU to a
    be quiet SFX POWER 300W Small FF PSU

and the cooler to this
    [URL="https://quietpc.ie/gel-slim-silence-iplus"]Gelid Solutions Slim Silence iPlus Low Profile Intel CPU Cooler[/URL]

here is the original thread too

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056756768

So basically in the recent weeks my mum has been complaining that it's getting increasingly slower and tends to crash a bit and I suspect something is on the way out.

I have suggested to move to like a Chromecast or directly to the TV but she set on keeping the current setup, the desktop experience so to speak and is comfortable using it so I'm just going to roll with it and try and upgrade it rather than to convince her otherwise.

I know I will need a new CPU, Mobo, Ram and Cooler (might even get away with stock if it's low profile enough). The only issue is I am massively out of the loop in regards to hardware.

Would I be better scrapping the current PSU and Case and getting something like a pre-built where I just have to pop in a CPU and ram and go or if I was to upgrade it what parts would you recommend given.

It's mainly Movies Streaming / YouTube , currently 1080p but the next TV will be 4K and I would like it to be able to play that comfortably. I was initially thinking RP4 but I hear it struggles with Youtube 4k. Apart from that it's general office etc.. and some very old games, like Risk, Monopoly etc that run fine on the current PC so would be no issue with a new one I would suspect.

I would like to keep the budget as low as possible and future proof it as much as possible too.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement