Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

I've been out of the country in the past month on non essential travel. On a weekend break...

Passed through Schipol 3 weeks ago. Empty I tell you but lots of bargains in duty free but still way over priced. Yes I am alive and I did not catch Covid. The world did not end.

Off topic - how is a bargain over priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

So even the EU, European Medicines Agency, are criticisng the hastiness of the UK's vaccine approval procedure.

But if someone on boards has any legitimate doubts about the rushed nature of the vaccine they're labelled anti-vaxxers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1202/1181886-coronavirus-vaccine-eu/

As I said before, there's an awful lot of power and wealth to be gained by rushing a vaccine for Covid-19. It's not like people have never bypassed ethical and regulatory standards for financial gain before.

I wonder if by rushing to approve the vaccine, do the UK get access to all of the doses already manufactured or that will be manufactured before the EU approves?

If the UK were to approve at the same time as the EU, then I assume it would not get any doses in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I get my flu jab every year and have not had a bad Flu since 2005.

Luckily I have have not had this virus yet however I will take this vaccine when I see our leaders and families leading by example and taking it first and in the company of a bonified witness with accreditations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I've been out of the country in the past month on non essential travel. On a weekend break...

Passed through Schipol 3 weeks ago. Empty I tell you but lots of bargains in duty free but still way over priced. Yes I am alive and I did not catch Covid. The world did not end.

Schipol is in the EU so not duty-free for flights to Ireland. If you mean things were expensive in the airport, then there's absolutely nothing new about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

joeguevara wrote: »
    Lots of people on my Facebook posting about a conspiracy relating to a vaccine passport and how it infringes on multiple constitutional rights and how its a government scam. Posted up my old vaccine yellow booklet that I had in South America. 2 heps, rabies, yellow fever, dengue and good few more. Could not enter loads of countries with out it. Not one had ever seen or heard of it. Others thought I had fabricated it.

The vaccination book will definitely be revived, although probably in a more modern credit-card form. In a year's time I can't see many countries allowing arrivals who haven't had their vaccination. We'll probably have a bunch of countries adding other vaccines too, particularly for the real nasty things like Ebola, Dengue, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

bpmurray wrote: »
    Schipol is in the EU so not duty-free for flights to Ireland. If you mean things were expensive in the airport, then there's absolutely nothing new about that!

I mean the duty free shop..my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bpmurray wrote: »
    The vaccination book will definitely be revived, although probably in a more modern credit-card form. In a year's time I can't see many countries allowing arrivals who haven't had their vaccination. We'll probably have a bunch of countries adding other vaccines too, particularly for the real nasty things like Ebola, Dengue, etc.
    It's doubtful it will come back and nobody is seriously looking at it. Once we get to 70% and at risk groups are protected then it becomes a minor public health issue like flu'. It's not at all in the same league as the very lethal Ebola and Dengue is mosquito-borne and little researched.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Does the gov providing indemnity for the vaccine makers not sound any alarm bells with anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Does the gov providing indemnity for the vaccine makers not sound any alarm bells with anyone?

Same for the swine flu jab, I dunno how many ever actually received that but theirs 80 cases coming up for compensation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/boy-who-said-he-developed-narcolepsy-after-swine-flu-vaccine-settles-court-case-1.4400182

Benjamin, of Fairyhouse Road, Ratoath, Co Meath had through his mother Natalie Blackwell sued the Minister for Health, the HSE and Glaxosmithkline Biologicals SA (GSK), producer of Pandemrix.
    GSK was previously given an indemnity by the State concerning any adverse reactions to the vaccine.

Govs paid for vaccine development aswell afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Nope, it’s an emergency and expected to be honest - nothing to worry about. If you get insomnia from the vaccine you can get a 7 figure sum off the government and spend your waking hours watching Netflix on an 85 “TV set. Win win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Only if I'm a Facebook Mammy Hunzo who would be giving out about something else "outrageous" and doing supercharged virtue signaling on a daily basis even if Covid wasn't a thing

But, thanks be to almighty blue fcuk, I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Either the State carries the risk and pays for claims or big pharma carries the risk. If big pharma carries the risk then they will factor this financial risk into the price. As the risks are somewhat unknown at this stage, big pharma will err high. By giving big pharma an indemnity Governments are taking a bet that the overall saving in cost will be more than the cost of the indemnity.

MM indicated in the media that indemnities are pretty standard in vaccine programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I feel no need to take it nor should any other healthy person really.
    However I don't feel that strongly about it and if they make life difficult by restricting travel, etc, then I probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I get my flu jab every year and have not had a bad Flu since 2005.

Luckily I have have not had this virus yet however I will take this vaccine when I see our leaders and families leading by example and taking it first and in the company of a bonified witness with accreditations.

Ya, they will all do it, but the phial will be filled with distilled water :p

I don't trust any of em.

I will just give it a bit of time, I have no objections to getting it (in time) but am low on the list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I’ve had COVID and purposely went out of my way to get it. Thankfully, I’m youngish and healthy. I’d rather get covid than risk the immunisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I had Covid as well. Was pretty mild for me, but I will get the vaccine to protect others and myself getting it worse the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Love this, leave no room for hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

eagle eye wrote: »
    Love this, leave no room for hypocrisy.

Same people calling for this would be bitching and moaning about the elites taking up vaccines that could have gone to nurses if it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US ex-presidents are going to do it in public.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/02/politics/obama-vaccine/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

I'm unaware if this has been posted already. But I implore people to download this relatively short pdf through the following link. It is set out by the UK authorities for health care professionals with information on the covid vaccine

https://t.co/jA3l39JjSP?amp=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

boege wrote: »
    Either the State carries the risk and pays for claims or big pharma carries the risk. If big pharma carries the risk then they will factor this financial risk into the price. As the risks are somewhat unknown at this stage, big pharma will err high. By giving big pharma an indemnity Governments are taking a bet that the overall saving in cost will be more than the cost of the indemnity.

MM indicated in the media that indemnities are pretty standard in vaccine programmes.

Exactly, the US has had a program for this since the 80s: https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/index.html

Its nothing new at all - people are reacting like its proof that the manufactures think there's something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

ceegee wrote: »
    Same people calling for this would be bitching and moaning about the elites taking up vaccines that could have gone to nurses if it did happen.

Exactly, and they won't take it when TDs etc get it.

PhantomHat wrote:
    I'm unaware if this has been posted already. But I implore people to download this relatively short pdf through the following link. It is set out by the UK authorities for health care professionals with information on the covid vaccine

What is that not a .UK address? I'm not clicking on something like that.

So even the EU, European Medicines Agency, are criticisng the hastiness of the UK's vaccine approval procedure.

But if someone on boards has any legitimate doubts about the rushed nature of the vaccine they're labelled anti-vaxxers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1202/1181886-coronavirus-vaccine-eu/

As I said before, there's an awful lot of power and wealth to be gained by rushing a vaccine for Covid-19. It's not like people have never bypassed ethical and regulatory standards for financial gain before.

That'll be the EMA who'll be approving the same vaccine later this month. They were criticising the Brits for going ahead themselves, not the actual vaccine.

It was purely political by the UK, "see Brexit is great etc etc", and the EMA called them out on it, as has Dr. Fauci.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

I won't take the vaccine because Professor Sucharit Bhakdi was interviewed recently and when he was asked if he would take a COVID-19 vaccine he said that he wouldn't because "I'm not mad."

Caraibh wrote: »
    I won't take the vaccine because Professor Sucharit Bhakdi was interviewed recently and when he was asked if he would take a COVID-19 vaccine he said that he wouldn't because "I'm not mad."[/QUOTE

This guy ?
    During the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, Bhakdi started a Youtube channel proposing that the number of deaths stemming from SARS-CoV-2 infection had been overstated. Writing for Foreign Policy, Tyson Barker described Bhakdi as a prominent example from a "crop of debunked but credentialed so-called experts minting conspiracy theories and undermining fact-based information".[5] The German non-profit Correctiv fact-checked one of Bhakdi's Youtube videos, and found a number of problematic claims, including the claim that any COVID-19 vaccine would be "pointless", and that the virus posed no more threat than influenza.[6]
    Sound so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

JDMC2 wrote: »
    I’ve had COVID and purposely went out of my way to get it. Thankfully, I’m youngish and healthy. I’d rather get covid than risk the immunisation.

Why? Do you assume that once you've had covid once you can't get it again? There's some evidence that this may not be the case.
    What about the long term effects of getting covid? Are you not worried about these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Caraibh wrote: »
    I won't take the vaccine because Professor Sucharit Bhakdi was interviewed recently and when he was asked if he would take a COVID-19 vaccine he said that he wouldn't because "I'm not mad."[/QUOTE

This guy ?
    During the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, Bhakdi started a Youtube channel proposing that the number of deaths stemming from SARS-CoV-2 infection had been overstated. Writing for Foreign Policy, Tyson Barker described Bhakdi as a prominent example from a "crop of debunked but credentialed so-called experts minting conspiracy theories and undermining fact-based information".[5] The German non-profit Correctiv fact-checked one of Bhakdi's Youtube videos, and found a number of problematic claims, including the claim that any COVID-19 vaccine would be "pointless", and that the virus posed no more threat than influenza.[6]
    Sound so.

Some people need conspiracy theorists to do all of their thinking for them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JDMC2 wrote: »

If the decision is between getting vaccine and facing associated risks or getting infected and facing associated risks, the decision is really straighforward.

One might bet on not getting infected for a while or maybe at all and decide not to take vaccine. But if you need to choose, there really is nothing to think about.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote:
    Why? Do you assume that once you've had covid once you can't get it again? There's some evidence that this may not be the case. What about the long term effects of getting covid? Are you not worried about these?

I'm going to get the vaccine but your question there is a good reason not to.
    We don't know the long term affects, if there is any, of this virus yet so no current vaccine would be prepared for that.

Advertisement