Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

Caraibh wrote: »
    I won't take the vaccine because Professor Sucharit Bhakdi was interviewed recently and when he was asked if he would take a COVID-19 vaccine he said that he wouldn't because "I'm not mad."[/QUOTE

This guy ?
    During the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, Bhakdi started a Youtube channel proposing that the number of deaths stemming from SARS-CoV-2 infection had been overstated. Writing for Foreign Policy, Tyson Barker described Bhakdi as a prominent example from a "crop of debunked but credentialed so-called experts minting conspiracy theories and undermining fact-based information".[5] The German non-profit Correctiv fact-checked one of Bhakdi's Youtube videos, and found a number of problematic claims, including the claim that any COVID-19 vaccine would be "pointless", and that the virus posed no more threat than influenza.[6]
    Sound so.

There's Tyson Barker on Wikipedia, but there's also his actual career. The following is very impressive:

"He was a post-doctoral researcher at the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg from 1972 to 1976, and at The Protein Laboratory in Copenhagen from 1976 to 1977. He joined the Institute of Medical Microbiology at Giessen University in 1977 and was appointed associate professor in 1982. He was named chair of Medical Microbiology at the University of Mainz in 1990, where he remained until his retirement in 2012. Dr. Bhakdi has published over three hundred articles in the fields of immunology, bacteriology, virology, and parasitology, for which he has received numerous awards and the Order of Merit of Rhineland-Palatinate."

He also co-authored the international bestseller 'Corona, False Alarm?: Facts and Figures'.

But he can easily dismissed with the 'conspiracy theorist' charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

There's Tyson Barker on Wikipedia, but there's also his actual career. The following is very impressive:

"He was a post-doctoral researcher at the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg from 1972 to 1976, and at The Protein Laboratory in Copenhagen from 1976 to 1977. He joined the Institute of Medical Microbiology at Giessen University in 1977 and was appointed associate professor in 1982. He was named chair of Medical Microbiology at the University of Mainz in 1990, where he remained until his retirement in 2012. Dr. Bhakdi has published over three hundred articles in the fields of immunology, bacteriology, virology, and parasitology, for which he has received numerous awards and the Order of Merit of Rhineland-Palatinate."

He also co-authored the international bestseller 'Corona, False Alarm?: Facts and Figures'.

Seems so.....One of Bhakdi`s claims is that the coronavirus does not pose a huge danger, and that the measures introduced in Germany are meaningless and self-destructive. However, data from the World Health Organization shows that we cannot treat COVID-19 exactly the same way we treat flu. Also, the professor attributes the high number of virus victims in Italy to external environmental factors, such as the high air pollution in northern Italy and China, while OECD statistics on the impact of air pollution on health question this assertion.

https://digicomnet.medium.com/coronavirus-crisis-disinformation-on-digital-platforms-8b1b264a1612

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any chance of a vaccine for "broken quote"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

I'm not at risk so I won't be taking it. I don't take the flu vaccine either for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Similar to the way Dr Mike Yeadon's opinion is being censored. He's been an immunologist for 30 years yet apparently his opinion is irrelevant because it doesn't fit the narrative that this virus is a literal plague and not just a bad flu pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Any chance of a vaccine for "broken quote"?
    Or just nail the culprit who forgot to close the QUOTE!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115499084&postcount=447

Similar to the way Dr Mike Yeadon's opinion is being censored. He's been an immunologist for 30 years yet apparently his opinion is irrelevant because it doesn't fit the narrative that this virus is a literal plague and not just a bad flu pandemic.

Probably why his opinion is being censored and considered irrelevant. Just a guess..........

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/a-rise-in-the-number-of-covid-19-cases-and-deaths-starting-in-september-2020-contradicts-the-claim-by-michael-yeadon-that-the-pandemic-is-fundamentally-over-in-the-u-k/

This guy ??? Really ???

Yes, I read a few posts on the CF forum and Professor Carl Heneghan, Director of the University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, is apparently a quack. All these doctors, professors, and scientists apparently know nothing all of a sudden while the ones who use out of date data to make crazy predictions and who said nothing about the shambolic 28 day nonsense in the UK re counting deaths are to be trusted.

Seems so.....One of Bhakdi`s claims is that the coronavirus does not pose a huge danger, and that the measures introduced in Germany are meaningless and self-destructive. However, data from the World Health Organization shows that we cannot treat COVID-19 exactly the same way we treat flu. Also, the professor attributes the high number of virus victims in Italy to external environmental factors, such as the high air pollution in northern Italy and China, while OECD statistics on the impact of air pollution on health question this assertion.

https://digicomnet.medium.com/coronavirus-crisis-disinformation-on-digital-platforms-8b1b264a1612

It doesn't pose a huge danger, or any danger, to the vast majority of people. That's true. The measures are destructive to the economy. And the high air pollution in northern Italy is undoubtedly a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm going to get the vaccine but your question there is a good reason not to.
    We don't know the long term affects, if there is any, of this virus yet so no current vaccine would be prepared for that.

Everyone will have reasons for taking the vaccine or not taking the vaccine. There are more factors than the effects on people's physical health to consider as well.

We don't know either the long term effects of the virus or the vaccine but one thing is for sure...life will not return to normal without a vaccine. Governments around the world just aren't willing to just let people die and let their health systems collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

weisses wrote: »
    Yes .. definitely

Had enough of restrictions ... Need to be able to travel and see family

You can do that anyway

aido79 wrote: »
    Everyone will have reasons for taking the vaccine or not taking the vaccine. There are more factors than the effects on people's physical health to consider as well.

We don't know either the long term effects of the virus or the vaccine but one thing is for sure...life will not return to normal without a vaccine. Governments around the world just aren't willing to just let people die and let their health systems collapse.

It should be voluntary, but I fear people will be unable to take part in society unless vaccinated.

And I'm not so sure about governments being unwilling to let people die. They're unwilling to let people die of COVID, but they've stood by and done nothing while people have died of cancer and all sorts of diseases and illnesses because of their obsession with COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm not at risk so I won't be taking it. I don't take the flu vaccine either for the same reason.

So you're happy you can't pass Covid or the flu on to any vulnerable individual? You really must live in a genuine bubble.

It should be voluntary, but I fear people will be unable to take part in society unless vaccinated.

And I'm not so sure about governments being unwilling to let people die. They're unwilling to let people die of COVID, but they've stood by and done nothing while people have died of cancer and all sorts of diseases and illnesses because of their obsession with COVID.

I think it's fairly obvious that the vaccine will be voluntary but not being vaccinated may limit what a person can do.

What should governments be doing with people with cancer and all sorts of other disease you mention? Try to treat them and put these people with compromised immune systems in situations where they have more of a chance of getting covid? It's a catch 22 situation in most cases.

I think it's fairly obvious that the vaccine will be voluntary but not being vaccinated may limit what a person can do.

What should governments be doing with people with cancer and all sorts of other disease you mention? Try to treat them and put these people with compromised immune systems in situations where they have more of a chance of getting covid? It's a catch 22 situation in most cases.

Then it's not really voluntary. If a person can't participate fully in society unless vaccinated then they'll feel coerced into taking the vaccine.

A 23 year old mother of one in the UK was recently told she has terminal cancer and given 6 months to live. She had three vital medical appointments cancelled due to COVID (or rather, the obsession with COVID at the expense of all other diseases and illnesses) and they didn't even afford her the respect of telling her in person that she had terminal cancer. She was told over ZOOM. A 31 year old lady in the UK who died of cancer had appointments cancelled because of the COVID obsession. Young people with their whole lives ahead of them robbed of their lives because of this horror.

Then it's not really voluntary. If a person can't participate fully in society unless vaccinated then they'll feel coerced into taking the vaccine.

A 23 year old mother of one in the UK was recently told she has terminal cancer and given 6 months to live. She had three vital medical appointments cancelled due to COVID (or rather, the obsession with COVID at the expense of all other diseases and illnesses) and they didn't even afford her the respect of telling her in person that she had terminal cancer. She was told over ZOOM. A 31 year old lady in the UK who died of cancer had appointments cancelled because of the COVID obsession. Young people with their whole lives ahead of them robbed of their lives because of this horror.

It will not be compulsory. But people who choose not to be vaccinated may have to live with some restrictions that private companies and possibly foreign countries place on them. People will still be free to choose.

The cancer story is very sad. Hopefully a successful vaccination programme will make those stories less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

What was the alternative? If we let Covid loose, do you really think her medical appointments would have been kept, with covid raging around the hospital system, far worse than it is now?

You are comparing what we have now, with some fantasy where Covid never happened.

It will not be compulsory. But people who choose not to be vaccinated may have to live with some restrictions that private companies and possibly foreign countries place on them. People will still be free to choose.

The cancer story is very sad. Hopefully a successful vaccination programme will make those stories less likely.

Does private companies include supermarkets? It's a dangerous road to down having second class citizens in society.

Very sad indeed. I mentioned it because I don't trust the government. Their behaviour has shown that they don't care about any illness apart from COVID.

plodder wrote: »
    What was the alternative? If we let Covid loose, do you really think her medical appointments would have been kept, with covid raging around the hospital system, far worse than it is now?

You are comparing what we have now, with some fantasy where Covid never happened.

Have dedicated COVID units. Not decide that every other illness and disease didn't matter apart from COVID.

And then there's the obvious question of life years. Should that mother of 23 have sacrificed to save a person of 93 who had lived their life?

But it's still happening now. They're still cancelling appointments.

Does private companies include supermarkets? It's a dangerous road to down having second class citizens in society.

Very sad indeed. I mentioned it because I don't trust the government. Their behaviour has shown that they don't care about any illness apart from COVID.

That'd be up to the supermarkets, that one is probably unlikely, but who knows. As I said people are free to make decisions for themselves, they also have to know that there maybe restrictions because of decisions they make.

Both my sister and MIL are undergoing cancer treatment during covid. Most appointments, not all, have gone ahead as scheduled, both doing ok.

• Advertisement

It's not much different from schools requiring children to be vaccinated.

What's your solution?
    You said the 23 year old had terminal cancer and had 6 months to live. If she gets covid19 that 6 months might become 6 days because of her weakened immune system.
    It's easy to pick a few cases which were affected by covid19 restrictions rather than to try to imagine what would have happened if the hospital system carried on as normal with no covid19 restrictions.

That'd be up to the supermarkets, that one is probably unlikely, but who knows. As I said people are free to make decisions for themselves, they also have to know that there maybe restrictions because of decisions they make.

Both my sister and MIL are undergoing cancer treatment during covid. Most appointments, not all, have gone ahead as scheduled, both doing ok.

That's great to hear. I hope they recover soon.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that I was referring more to the UK. I avoid the Irish media like the plague and one often reads of young people being diagnosed with terminal cancer in the UK who had appointments cancelled because of the reaction to COVID-19. The story about the 23 year old mother of one was from late November.

It's not much different from schools requiring children to be vaccinated.

What's your solution?
    You said the 23 year old had terminal cancer and had 6 months to live. If she gets covid19 that 6 months might become 6 days because of her weakened immune system.
    It's easy to pick a few cases which were affected by covid19 restrictions rather than to try to imagine what would have happened if the hospital system carried on as normal with no covid19 restrictions.

If it had been caught sooner then it could have been treated. That's the case for many other unfortunate people who have terminal cancer who could have been saved had the appointments not been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Have dedicated COVID units. Not decide that every other illness and disease didn't matter apart from COVID.

And then there's the obvious question of life years. Should that mother of 23 have sacrificed to save a person of 93 who had lived their life?

But it's still happening now. They're still cancelling appointments.
    It's not as simple as either or.

My mother in law went through a complete course of chemo and radio therapy through the pandemic. Every week she traveled to hospital as a covid vulnerable patient. Yes, a lot of stuff was delayed/cancelled inlcuding other stuff that affected my family (though not directly life threatening), but I think it's a delusion to say that the hospitals could have been in a better situation if Covid were let rip ..

.. except if what you mean by dedicated Covid units (which we have already), is just total isolation in field hospitals letting the weakest die probably being looked after by people who are sick themselves.

Without a vaccine that is a horrible choice we might have had to eventually face, but not when we have excellent vaccines.

If it had been caught sooner then it could have been treated. That's the case for many other unfortunate people who have terminal cancer who could have been saved had the appointments not been cancelled.

So back to my question. What's your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

But that's exactly what society is about. You have your freedoms within norms accepted by said society. If you want to participate fully in society, you do what said society requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

eagle eye wrote: »
    What is that not a .UK address? I'm not clicking on something like that.

Nothing wrong with that link.

I should hope that people are fully aware of the risks and benefits of taking the vaccine. Or at the very least make sure they have some knowledge.

Please note the warning for women of child bearing age.

https://t.co/jA3l39JjSP?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

grogi wrote: »
    But that's exactly what society is about. You have your freedoms within norms accepted by said society. If you want to participate fully in society, you do what said society requires.

Thats close to the definition of totalitarianism.

I see you havent used free society just society.

So back to my question. What's your solution?

Stop ignoring any and all illnesses that are not COVID-19. Stop the inhumane treatment of people in care homes by refusing to allow family members to visit and hug them. Show people the respect to tell them in person that they have cancer. It's awful to tell a person on ZOOM that they have terminal cancer. I cant even begin to imagine how terrible it must've been for those poor young women to be told should awful news over ZOOM. It's frightening how cruel so many people have become. I'm not saying you're cruel aido79. I'm talking about those in government and health workers.

• Advertisement

The Belly wrote: »
    Thats close to the definition of totalitarianism.

I see you havent used free society just society.

And it's frightening that large numbers of people are saying the same thing.

Advertisement