Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I’d imagine most office would take a careful approach especially if WFH isn’t causing any problems - maybe proof of vaccination before you are allowed to return. I can’t wait for a return to 2 or 3 days in the office (something I never thought I would say) but I don’t think I would ever go back to 5 given the option, WFH is viable and needs to be factored in to future workplace planning. Monday and Friday at home would be a lovely setup.

I get a feeling of dread when I think about going back to a mon-fri commute, leaving the baby in a creche at 7am while I sit in traffic etc. Eugh :(

I'd be the same, prefer a mixture, with meetings scheduled for the in days, so that those feckin zoom get togethers can be knocked on the head haha.

I've already made my mind up if we are called back on a five day week I'll ask to switch to four, and do two at home and two in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If enough people do not take the vaccine, then there is no going back to normal. We need to change laws, so that those who refuse to take the vaccine, can be fired from there jobs and denied social welfare etc. There needs to be consequences for this anti-vax nonsense.

We are seeing the reemergence of diseases taught long gone and children have already died due to this stupidity. Time to put an end to this nonsense, if we ever want to get back to a semblance of normality.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    There have been over 1000 cases of reinfection.

Not confirmed there hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I may be wrong but the COVID “deniers” seem to be willing to protest against anything coming from government. Maybe if government said those who didn’t believe in COVID should not be allowed have the vaccine there might be a shift towards insisting their right to have the vaccine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

wes wrote: »
    If enough people do not take the vaccine, then there is no going back to normal. We need to change laws, so that those who refuse to take the vaccine, can be fired from there jobs and denied social welfare etc. There needs to be consequences for this anti-vax nonsense.

We are seeing the reemergence of diseases taught long gone and children have already died due to this stupidity. Time to put an end to this nonsense, if we ever want to get back to a semblance of normality.

We don’t need anything draconian like that but they should have life made as hard and restricted as possible. It’s their choice if they don’t want to take it but that should come with severe consequences for being able to access services or live life as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John_Rambo wrote:
    They're the ones who’d rather wait and see what happens when the brave, those that lead by example and the educated have the jab.

Educated you say.
    I'm willing to take a vaccine but a specific one, the Oxford one.
    I'm not taking a mRNA drug for anybody. It's never been used in a vaccine before and hasn't a good history.
    I wouldn't advise others but I'd respect anybody that doesn't want to take an mRNA vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Gorteen wrote: »
    I may be wrong but the COVID “deniers” seem to be willing to protest against anything coming from government. Maybe if government said those who didn’t believe in COVID should not be allowed have the vaccine there might be a shift towards insisting their right to have the vaccine

Ha that might actually work!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I think the bigger issue is making sure everyone who wants to take the vaccine can get it in a timely manner - after that it doesn't really matter as most folks who won't take it are in the low risk / asymptomatic group anyway.
    Worst case is that someone who decided to not take a vaccine gets very sick or even dies - but at least they "opted in" for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Educated you say.
    I'm willing to take a vaccine but a specific one, the Oxford one.
    I'm not taking a mRNA drug for anybody. It's never been used in a vaccine before and hasn't a good history.
    I wouldn't advise others but I'd respect anybody that doesn't want to take an mRNA vaccine.

Indeed, the educated, the brave and the leaders of society are the ones that will get the vaccine and lead by example. Then, the hesitant, the fearful and the unsure wobblers will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What about people like me who can't take the vaccine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Indeed, the educated, the brave and the leaders of society are the ones that will get the vaccine and lead by example. Then, the hesitant, the fearful and the unsure wobblers will follow.

Go right ahead. Hopefully the vast majority follow your lead and take the vaccine too.

Do your duty so I don't have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

Would you call Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, who was chair of Medical Microbiology at the University of Mainz from 1990 to 2012, educated?

When he asked if he would take a vaccine for COVID-19, he replied: "No, because I'm not mad".

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

Isnt that the point of herd immunity. Enough people getting it shields those who can't?

This isn't Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia nor should we aspire to either.

If a majority did not feel comfortable with the vaccine there is likely to be a genuine reason for that concern.

It's also a very important freedom in a democratic nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

If a majority did not feel comfortable with the vaccine there is likely to be a genuine reason for that concern.

It's frightening to hear such talk, isn't it? A society of 1st and 2nd class citizens.

Go right ahead. Hopefully the vast majority follow your lead and take the vaccine too.

Do your duty so I don't have to

Exactly what I was saying. The leaders of society will take the vaccine to prove to the daunted, the wobblers and the craven ones that don't realise that vaccines actually work. Then, like Covid will (mostly) be banished just like measles, rubella and tuberculosis.

Indeed, when the tuberculosis vaccine was rolled out we had similar people to you talking about not taking it.

Caraibh wrote: »
    Would you call Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, who was chair of Medical Microbiology at the University of Mainz from 1990 to 2012, educated?

No, I'd call him an idiot. He said Covid was no worse than the flu at the beginning of the pandemic! Cringe.

That article only mentions 26 confirmed reinfections. It seems she's counting suspected cases as confirmed which is inaccurate and misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

There is absolutely no substitute for long term studies. We have no data of long term side effects. Proceed with caution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

PhantomHat wrote: »
    There is absolutely no substitute for long term studies. We have no data of long term side effects. Proceed with caution

This is the full pdf to be distributed to UK health professionals. Makes very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

grogi wrote: »
    If there was only one option - you might be right. But there will be many of options and one will be able to choose one that is most favourable to them.

I was commenting on the poll which is 3 options. Take, not take, wait and see. I've heard a few people say this not just on boards and it just seems weird. Will people wait and see as in give it six months and then spend a month reading vaccine studies or will it be I'll wait and then do whatever all the other waiters are doing. Or are they expecting people's heads to start falling off or something. Or is it ill wait and hopefully won't have to get it as HI will be achieved by then.

You clearly know nothing about either of them, if you are comparing what I said to them. Needless hyperbole for people defending dangerous anti-vaxer nonsense.

In fact the comparison is offensive to the victims of those odious regimes. You should be ashamed of yourself quite frankly.

Infecting people with deadly diseases is not freedom.
    Murdering you children by not vaccinating them is not freedom.

There is no right to infect people with diseases.

People who have medical reasons for not taking the vaccines are not anti-vaxers. The anti-vaxers refusing to take the vaccine are putting your life in danger. If anti-vaxers have there way, there will be no herd immunity.

I have relatives who can't take the vaccine, and this is why I am pro punishing anti-vaxers, as without herd immunity, these idiots are putting lives in danger.

We don’t need anything draconian like that but they should have life made as hard and restricted as possible. It’s their choice if they don’t want to take it but that should come with severe consequences for being able to access services or live life as normal.

If lesser measures protect people, then I am all for them.

You clearly know nothing about either of them, if you are comparing what I said to them. Needless hyperbole for people defending dangerous anti-vaxer nonsense.

In fact the comparison is offensive to the victims of those odious regimes. You should be ashamed of yourself quite frankly.

Infecting people with deadly diseases is not freedom.
    Murdering you children by not vaccinating them is not freedom.

There is no right to infect people with diseases.

There is no right to force your desires on others or place yourself above them.

And yes, I am comparing because both forced people to undergo medical procedures against their will. I could throw in Japan as well.

The good of the people is not absolute and must be measured by the rights of the people.

I'm not anti by the way. I will take a vaccine but it will be my choice as an informed adult living in a free society.

You on the other hand try to smear those that don't vaccinate as deliberately infecting people. Nope, that was the Nazis again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John_Rambo wrote:
    Ascension said I want the Oxford one made the traditional way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Exactly what I was saying. The leaders of society will take the vaccine to prove to the daunted, the wobblers and the craven ones that don't realise that vaccines actually work. Then, like Covid will (mostly) be banished just like measles, rubella and tuberculosis.

Indeed, when the tuberculosis vaccine was rolled out we had similar people to you talking about not taking it.

No doubt.

Will there be any side effects down the line?
    I have some nerve issues, will the vaccine have any adverse effects on me?

Who can I ask? My Gp maybe. No it's a new vaccine, he has no experience with it.
    Should I ring Pfizer themselves maybe?
    Would they tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Micky o Leary calling on the govt to rush the vaccine out ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Micky o Leary calling on the govt to rush the vaccine out ....

Big order gone in for the 75 more Boeing 737 Max 8s he needs the business)

Advertisement