Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Belly wrote: »
    Big order gone in for the 75 more Boeing 737 Max 8s he needs the business)

Most ppl I know say they’ll never travel Ryan air again after their carry on this year

But don’t want to go off topic.

It fills me with fear that micky o Leary is trying to pressure authorities to rush the vaccine out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hardyn wrote: »
    That article only mentions 26 confirmed reinfections. It seems she's counting suspected cases as confirmed which is inaccurate and misleading

There's been 65 million cases worldwide. 26 or even 1000 cases of reinfection are well inside the margin of error. A small minority of people have terrible immune systems as well but they wouldn't be taking a vaccine anyway.

The majority of the science shows good immunity after infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The Belly wrote: »
    Big order gone in for the 75 more Boeing 737 Max 8s he needs the business)

Ryanair bought a significant number of Boeing's after the 9/11 terrorist attacks for a song. I suspect he got a great deal on the 737 max I 'm not surprised RA increased their purchase option. Boeing have made 1000's redundant due to Covid and the knock-on on aviation.
    His comment to government is just stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 diaper dude

wes wrote: »
    I am pro punishing anti-vaxers, as without herd immunity, these idiots are putting lives in danger.

You can be "pro" whatever you like, it won't matter an iota. Vaccines are not becoming mandatory and there will be no newly created subdivision of second class citizens, no matter how much the idea thrills you. I intend to get the vaccine, but the fact that you cannot see the philosophical implications of what you are saying does not reflect well on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Personally I dont feel the need being a healthy middle age male, buy my reason for not taking is because I am healthy and can fight off the virus. I think any vulnerable person saying no to it are easily lead.

You may not know this but the only person to come off an ECMO machine alive in Ireland after spending 5 months in ICU due to covid was a middle aged healthy male with no underlying heath concerns
    Lost 7 stone, had heart failure ,kidney failure ,liver function failure 2 mild heart attacks and severe muscle loss
    Recovering well but slowly
    Doctors not sure of long term effects
    He is a work colleague of mine and got Covid in April and doctors are giving him a timeframe of August 21 for a return to work
    Not trying to scare you and this case is an outlier but no one is safe

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200926145200.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I hear what you're saying but can I ask a genuine question that I've asked before both here and in person to aquantantices that are opposed to the vaccine for whatever reason..... what's the alternative? Seriously please give me an answer- a real answer. We as a world and as a society cannot continue to live the way we have for the last nine months with social distancing, masks , lockdowns , lack of contact with friends and family. It's simply not sustainable.
    So in a world without a vaccine what do we do ?
    Will someone PLEASE give me their view on what that future would be - I really really want to hear it.
    No doubt.

Will there be any side effects down the line?
    I have some nerve issues, will the vaccine have any adverse effects on me?

Who can I ask? My Gp maybe. No it's a new vaccine, he has no experience with it.
    Should I ring Pfizer themselves maybe?
    Would they tell me?

johnire wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying but can I ask a genuine question that I've asked before both here and in person to aquantantices that are opposed to the vaccine for whatever reason..... what's the alternative? Seriously please give me an answer- a real answer. We as a world and as a society cannot continue to live the way we have for the last nine months with social distancing, masks , lockdowns , lack of contact with friends and family. It's simply not sustainable.
    Will someone PLEASE give me their view on what that future would be - I really really want to hear it.

A world without a vaccine is a world like we had this year
    A world where we do not live but exist
    A world where people grow more and more distant and forget that we are given one go at this life
    A world where we forget that this life is like opening night ,its not a dress rehearsal where you can go back and do it all again
    The holidays ,the birthdays , the nights out .the days with friends and family that you missed out on this year are gone forever ,never to be got back
    We would slowly disintegrate as a society and as humans if a vaccine is never found and rolled out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 feedmindc19

What do you make of this interview. https://youtu.be/IMAkFKprzRQ

I'm not taking a rushed vaccine, I was pregnant in 2009 when ebola, and swine flu vaccines were a big deal. I didn't take either the flu vaccine or swine flu vaccine.

BloodBath wrote: »
    There's been 65 million cases worldwide. 26 or even 1000 cases of reinfection are well inside the margin of error. A small minority of people have terrible immune systems as well but they wouldn't be taking a vaccine anyway.

Yes it does. Also of note is almost all of the reinfections confirmed so far did not progress beyond mild. It suggests that while not everyone is protected from infection a second time they do retain some immunity to severe disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Whoever posted that Youtube video is an idiot who thinks the discussion about "sterlization" means rendering people infertile. This is why you shouldn't take your advice from Youtube.

"Sterilising immunity" which the scientist is talking about is the ability of a vaccine to prevent a virus from reproducing.
    I'm not in the view of taking a rushed vaccine, I was pregnant in 2009 when ebola, and swine flu vaccines were a big deal. I didn't take that one either and am still alive with a healthy child.
    Unless you were living in West Africa and were a close contact of someone who contracted Ebola, you were not offered an Ebola vaccine. Go on out of that with yer spoofery.

BTW the Ebola vaccine has been an amazing success and has helped Africa to contain that incredibly dangerous disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can tell perfectly well by the summary that there's nothing incredible in it.

People have been fantasising for a century that there's shadow cabal hellbent on culling the population through bio weapons, engineered viruses or vaccines. For reasons unknown.

The irony is that when a serious illness did appear with the potential to kill them, they all claimed it was a hoax.

hmmm wrote: »
    Whoever posted that Youtube video is an idiot who thinks the discussion about "sterlization" means rendering people infertile. This is why you shouldn't take your advice from Youtube.

"Sterilising immunity" which the scientist is talking about is the ability of a vaccine to prevent a virus from reproducing.

Unless you were living in West Africa and were a close contact of someone who contracted Ebola, you were not offered an Ebola vaccine. Go on out of that with yer spoofery.

Its blantantly obvious what he ws suggesting. :D

Yes I wasn't offered the ebola vaccine obviously, I was reccomended the swine flu and the flu vaccine didn't take either , by your standards back then I would of been a moron too , to not of taken it wouldn't I.

As for the video, come on now it's blatant what he was suggesting. Jon snow porposley interrupted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

johnire wrote: »

There are 6 categories of people in my eyes

1Those willing and happy to take the vaccine. They have complete faith. First in the queue if they could etc

2Those who will put any concerns they have to the side because they want to do their part in stopping the virus and getting life back to normal

3Those who are concerned about the vaccine and possible side effects. They have taken previous vaccines but are unsure about this one

4Those who have other health problems can have nobody to turn to to give them reassurances or information specific to their particular health ailment. They are worried about side effects and what might happen to them

5 People who dont want to take the vaccine as they feel that if they catch covid they are not at risk. A mild illness etc.

6 Antivaxxers who believe it's a conspiracy, population control etc

I'm a number 4. People harping on at me and calling me a number 6 or saying I should be a number 1 are no more informed than anyone else. I cannot go to my gp or anyone else for reassurances related to my personal situation as they dont exist. The vaccine is new.

I wont be taking the vaccine at worst or at best will prolong taking it as long as possible until my fears and questions can be answered. That might never happen. In the grand scheme of things I'm just a pps number on a database.

It's a very rough analogy as there are millions of different opinions but i tried to lay it out to explain as best I could. But I still couldn't answer your question

1Those willing and happy to take the vaccine. They have complete faith. First in the queue if they could etc

2Those who will put any concerns they have to the side because they want to do their part in stopping the virus and getting life back to normal

3Those who are concerned about the vaccine and possible side effects. They have taken previous vaccines but are unsure about this one

4Those who have other health problems can have nobody to turn to to give them reassurances or information specific to their particular health ailment. They are worried about side effects and what might happen to them

5 People who dont want to take the vaccine as they feel that if they catch covid they are not at risk. A mild illness etc. They are not overly concerned about society as a whole.

I'm a number 4. People harping on at me and calling me a number 6 or saying I should be a number 1 are no more informed than anyone else. I cannot go to my gp or anyone else for reassurances related to my personal situation as they dont exist. The vaccine is new.

I wont be taking the vaccine at worst or at best will prolong taking it as long as possible until my fears and questions can be answered. That might never happen. In the grand scheme of things I'm just a pps number on a database.

It's a very rough analogy as there are millions of different opinions but i tried to lay it out to explain as best I could.

I’d be between 2-3 on this scale. I probably will take it because I want life to get back to some normality and want to protect people in my life but I am concerned about the lack of long term data. People saying anyone who is hesitant about this vaccine are anti vaxers is unfair. You can be pro vaccine in general but unsure about taking something with no long term track record

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You can be "pro" whatever you like, it won't matter an iota. Vaccines are not becoming mandatory and there will be no newly created subdivision of second class citizens, no matter how much the idea thrills you. I intend to get the vaccine, but the fact that you cannot see the philosophical implications of what you are saying does not reflect well on you.

I never called for mandatory vaccines, and people choosing to not have vaccinations will have only themselves to blame if they have some freedoms limited. I can tell you plenty of countries will be happy to ban people refusing vaccines etc.

The fact that so many people are ok with the re-emergence of deadly diseases and children dieing from them is appalling. That does not reflect well on you and your ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

5 People who dont want to take the vaccine as they feel that if they catch covid they are not at risk. A mild illness etc. They are not overly concerned about society as a whole.

It's a very rough analogy as there are millions of different opinions but i tried to lay it out to explain as best I could.

Number 5 has a vague, hollow, spiteful extra sentence tagged on at the end which should be deleted as there is no objective way to measure whether someone is overly concerned about society as a whole.

Someone who eats meat or flies in a plane could be said to not be overly concerned about society on a subjective measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Number 5 has a vague, hollow, spiteful extra sentence tagged on at the end which should be deleted as there is no objective way to measure whether someone is overly concerned about society as a whole.

Fair call. I will delete. I didn't mean it in a nasty way but can see how it could be interpreted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Fair call. I will delete. I didn't mean it in a nasty way but can see how it could be interpreted

Some would insinuate it, others would not. I agree with category 6. I'm 5 but not 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

seamus wrote:
    I can tell perfectly well by the summary that there's nothing incredible in it.

People have been fantasising for a century that there's shadow cabal hellbent on culling the population through bio weapons, engineered viruses or vaccines. For reasons unknown.

The irony is that when a serious illness did appear with the potential to kill them, they all claimed it was a hoax.
    And despite all their efforts we are living longer too.

wes wrote: »
    I never called for mandatory vaccines, and people choosing to not have vaccinations will have only themselves to blame if they have some freedoms limited. I can tell you plenty of countries will be happy to ban people refusing vaccines etc.

The fact that so many people are ok with the re-emergence of deadly diseases and children dieing from them is appalling. That does not reflect well on you and your ilk.

I was wondering what they would ban the unvaccinated from, will they still accept blood donations from people that don't get vaccinated from covid , I' make regular donations. I am not so worried about travel as I never agreed with having so many cheap airlines flying and adding to the pollution of countries that are pretty much third world ****holes. Some of these places that don't even have proper sewage systems and everything is basically dumped in the ocean.

How could they stop me from working and providing for my family and would you support the government if they did.
    My children too , should they be banned from school ,and their hobbies from football, swimming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

They accept blood donations from people who have had covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

An interesting post on Twitter:

"So just to recap, they changed the criteria for a pandemic, and how deaths are attributed, used a fraudulent test to scare you, they now want you to take an experimental improperly tested vaccine, and l'm the crazy one for saying no?"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

wes wrote:
    You need to take off the blinkers and see things from everybody's side.
    I'm not taking any vaccine. I read about things from unbiased sources, that's hard to find these days but can be got. What I've learned about mRNA is not good, no way I'm trusting that drug without years of data. The Oxford vaccine looks good and I'd be willing to take it. I realise for any vaccine you should have more days before you take it but these people seem to have been open and honest about the good and the bad in their trials.
    For you to even suggest that somebody with serious medical problems not taking the vaccine straight away should have any limits put on their freedom is pathetic and well I'd put you in the same category as the anti-vaxxer as thoroughly unlikeable people who only see things one way no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

5 People who dont want to take the vaccine as they feel that if they catch covid they are not at risk. A mild illness etc.

It's a very rough analogy as there are millions of different opinions but i tried to lay it out to explain as best I could. But I still couldn't answer your question

I am also a number 4 because I have a blood cancer and a weakened immune system. My specialists don't know if I can take any vaccines as no clinicians have been given any information or specifics on any of the vaccines which have not been tested on anyone with a blood cancer and or weakened immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

BloodBath wrote: »

Even with the 1000 figure, its still a lower reinfection rate than things like Chicken Pox and Measles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

IMO I think we will see 60+% willing to take it, but from your point of view I would be more concerned about how long its going to take for that 60% to be eligible to even get the vaccine - the majority of those folks will be in the low risk camp and at the bottom of the list.

FWIW In this poll I selected "Yes, but not immediately" - because I realistically don't think I will be offered it until the end of 2021 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Caraibh wrote: »
    An interesting post on Twitter:

"So just to recap, they changed the criteria for a pandemic, and how deaths are attributed, used a fraudulent test to scare you, they now want you to take an experimental improperly tested vaccine, and l'm the crazy one for saying no?"

So the pandemic has simply been a big fib then?

I wish someone could have told all those people that died, the big fakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

speckle wrote: »
    They accept blood donations from people who have had covid.
    That's not surprising as they have used blood plasma from recovered patients as a treatment for covid, with limited success as it happens, but it's certainly not harmful, and there could be a mild benefit from it, but nothing like as much as from a vaccine.

Regarding people with medical issues, who have "no-one to turn to", you can talk to your GP and I'd say there will be some form of questionaire to answer before you can get these vaccines anyway.

Children, pregnant women and people with some conditions aren't going to be given it, and that's not because it is unsafe, but because it hasn't been tested on those groups.

• Advertisement

schmoo2k wrote: »
    IMO I think we will see 60+% willing to take it, but from your point of view I would be more concerned about how long its going to take for that 60% to be eligible to even get the vaccine - the majority of those folks will be in the low risk camp and at the bottom of the list.

FWIW In this poll I selected "Yes, but not immediately" - because I realistically don't think I will be offered it until the end of 2021 at the earliest.

There is no logical reason why anybody over the age of 18 should not be offered the vaccine before the end of June
    At that stage there will possibly be 7 vaccines available .its just a matter of weather the HSE can deliver the roll out in a timely manner

Advertisement