Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

Yes they will. Test on people who had the virus, shown they lost the antibodies after 6 months.

source???

I've read anywhere from 5-7 to MUCH longer for natural immunity on those that have been exposed.
    You know when you hear people say, I have never been sick a day in my life or have never had the Flu etc, this comes into play here also.
    I have never had the Flu jab and have had one Flu that kept me out of work for 4 days, since 2002!
    Is it outside the realms of possibility that many of us will be like this too? have had it, don't know, will never really get it in the future?
    All we hear is, "this is a new Virus and we don't know anything about it" this also applies to immunity, it's as likely that it lasts for years as much as
    it lasts for months, so if the latter gives you reason to take a vaccine, that's perfectly acceptable to me and you should not be vilified for doing so,
    contrarily the reverse is also the case for people who have moral, ethical and personal reasons even based on fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Das Reich wrote: »
    What about people that got the covid already they also have to take the vaccine?

Nobody has to take the vaccine. I'm not sure why people struggle with this so much and are always looking for ways or reasons to not get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

eagle eye wrote: »
    He wasn't talking about clothes or any other way you could spread the virus, he was literally talking about the potential for the person to still be a transmitter.
    If he said yes or no that's a hell of a lot different to being uncertain. Uncertainty is not acceptable.
    I've always had a lot of respect for Pfizer but I'm uncomfortable with this vaccine.
    I certainly will not be taking it or the moderna vaccine anyways due to my concerns over mRNA.
    I will take the Oxford one.

But the uncertainty has nothing to do with the efficacy of the vaccine to protect the person that is taking it.

BTW I find it strange that you won't take Pfizer one because they admit to being uncertain about arguably the least important aspect of a vaccine (to the person taking it) yet will happily take the Oxford/AstraZeneca one where they are kinda unsure about the efficacy due to some cockups during testing and they are also publicly disagreeing about where it was an accident or by design.
    So its somewhere between 60 and 92% effective (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rusty cole wrote: »
    source???

Well I'll back that up. Two friends in the US both contracted the virus in April at the same time and recovered. Both had antibodies in June and only one had in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ok, i was thinking we might need vaccine every year!!

You still might, COVID 19 is the 2019 strain of the corona virus, there will likely (and already have been in other species) mutations that could render the current vaccines useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

He wasn't talking about clothes or any other way you could spread the virus, he was literally talking about the potential for the person to still be a transmitter.
    If he said yes or no that's a hell of a lot different to being uncertain. Uncertainty is not acceptable.
    I've always had a lot of respect for Pfizer but I'm uncomfortable with this vaccine.
    I certainly will not be taking it or the moderna vaccine anyways due to my concerns over mRNA.
    I will take the Oxford one.

I think the primary focus in development of vaccine was efficacy in preventing serious illness after infection of virus.

Preventing transmission is also important and will happen to some degree whether directly or indirectly from good uptake, and development to reduce transmission will be ongoing. But wasn’t main goal in vaccine development as I understand it (stbc).

Vaccine is ready by targets set in early stages, whether people are comfortable with it or not, it’s ready according to vaccine developers intentions.

GreeBo wrote: »
    But the uncertainty has nothing to do with the efficacy of the vaccine to protect the person that is taking it.

BTW I find it strange that you won't take Pfizer one because they admit to being uncertain about arguably the least important aspect of a vaccine (to the person taking it) yet will happily take the Oxford/AstraZeneca one where they are kinda unsure about the efficacy due to some cockups during testing and they are also publicly disagreeing about where it was an accident or by design.
    So its somewhere between 60 and 92% effective (maybe)

Well you obviously didn't read all of my post. I had already ruled out taking the Pfizer or moderna vaccine due to mRNA.
    I'm happy to take the Oxford one as it's been made using tried and trusted methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You still might, COVID 19 is the 2019 strain of the corona virus, there will likely (and already have been in other species) mutations that could render the current vaccines useless.

Vaccine is rarely completely useless. Even if it doesn't stop people getting sick, the symtomps are often much less severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Apparently the rate of mutation of this Coronavirus is far less than influenza. There's plenty of other viruses where we vaccinate against them and you get decades of immunity.

There was also some tests done on people who had SARS from 17 years ago which is in the same family. We're told that these people had retained their memory T cells since that time, and are likely to be substantially protected if they had ever been reinfected (not something anyone wants to test obviously).

I head the head of Operation Warp Speed in the US being interviewed about this and he believed that your protection from the virus might be relatively short (years), but your protection from the disease (Covid) would last a lot longer. It hopefully becomes another common cold effectively.

Well I'll back that up. Two friends in the US both contracted the virus in April at the same time and recovered. Both had antibodies in June and only one had in October.

my best friends girlfriend knows this guy who dated some chick who worked in a bar who's boss gave it to her and she's pretty sick and has no antibodies!!

ahem...Proof????? not my dog ate my homework or my best mates from the states!

• Advertisement

my best friends girlfriend knows this guy who dated some chick who worked in a bar who's boss gave it to her and she's pretty sick and has no antibodies!!

It's two friends of mine. I'm telling you about it. If you are suggesting that I'm a liar then that's your issue. I'm on this site 13 years and you won't find a history of outlandish claims from me.

Yes they will. Test on people who had the virus, shown they lost the antibodies after 6 months.

No it didn't. That study showed that people still had antibodies at 6 months. It used that cut off point because that's how long since the participants were infected. That is not the same as saying antibodies only last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Well you obviously didn't read all of my post. I had already ruled out taking the Pfizer or moderna vaccine due to mRNA.
    I'm happy to take the Oxford one as it's been made using tried and trusted methods.

What is your concern about the mRNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

source???

I've read anywhere from 5-7 to MUCH longer for natural immunity on those that have been exposed.
    You know when you hear people say, I have never been sick a day in my life or have never had the Flu etc, this comes into play here also.
    I have never had the Flu jab and have had one Flu that kept me out of work for 4 days, since 2002!
    Is it outside the realms of possibility that many of us will be like this too? have had it, don't know, will never really get it in the future?
    All we hear is, "this is a new Virus and we don't know anything about it" this also applies to immunity, it's as likely that it lasts for years as much as
    it lasts for months, so if the latter gives you reason to take a vaccine, that's perfectly acceptable to me and you should not be vilified for doing so,
    contrarily the reverse is also the case for people who have moral, ethical and personal reasons even based on fear.

That wasn't the flu you had so. A flu will keep you out of work for much longer.

Haven't missed a day in 5 years. Touch wood! No flu jab either

Hardyn wrote: »
    No it didn't. That study showed that people still had antibodies at 6 months. It used that cut off point because that's how long since the participants were infected. That is not the same as saying antibodies only last 6 months.

Read this one https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/10/20/two-studies-show-covid-19-antibodies-persist-for-months/

There are many studies now, hopefully it lasts alot longer and we are in the early days on this research

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/10/20/two-studies-show-covid-19-antibodies-persist-for-months/

Is one link, there are many studies but its all unclear still, so no one can say for certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That wasn't the flu you had so. A flu will keep you out of work for much longer.

You can actually have the flu and walk around without a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Read this one https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/10/20/two-studies-show-covid-19-antibodies-persist-for-months/

There are many studies now, hopefully it lasts alot longer and we are in the early days on this research

It really doesn't matter how long the antibodies last. You can still have immunity through T cells. Immunology is a complex science that goes well beyond antibodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-long-does-the-flu-last#:~:text=For%20most%20healthy%20people%2C%20the,last%20five%20to%20seven%20days.

For most healthy people, the flu is an uncomfortable but short-term illness that resolves itself as the immune system fights it off. Symptoms usually appear from one to four days after exposure to the virus, and they last five to seven days. For people who've had a flu shot, the symptoms may last a shorter amount of time, or be less severe. For other people, the symptoms may last longer. Even when symptoms resolve, you may continue to feel fatigued.

So 4 days for a healthy person is not unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Don't confuse the antibody test and immunity up. The first measures how many antibodies you have in your system - the second is if you are immune to it.

If you have antibodies you are immune. But you can also be immune without antibodies (T-Cells).

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    You can actually have the flu and walk around without a bother.

Thats womans flu - we are referring to the "man" flu, totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

No

Happy to get a vaccine that’s been tried and tested but it will be a good few years before I go near it.

No

Happy to get a vaccine that’s been tried and tested but it will be a good few years before I go near it.

Good job the ones coming out now have been both tested and tried (by a sizable population) - in fact the test results are now being checked by the FDA and EU Equivalent (I will ignore the UK)!

cgc5483 wrote: »
    What is your concern about the mRNA?

It's never been used in any approved drug. It's been known to attack the autoimmune system and in larger doses damage kidneys.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Don't confuse the antibody test and immunity up. The first measures how many antibodies you have in your system - the second is if you are immune to it.

If you have antibodies you are immune. But you can also be immune without antibodies (T-Cells).
    I'm not, I was responding to a post about antibodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

It's never been used in any approved drug. It's been known to attack the autoimmune system and in larger doses damage kidneys.

If it's never been used how can it be known to attack the autoimmune system?

I think your statement needs some qualifying with some stats to back it up tbh.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

If it's never been used how can it be known to attack the autoimmune system?
    I think your statement needs some qualifying with some stats to back it up tbh.
    I can't link right now as I'm using the old app but I'll put up something later. There's lots of information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

That's why people were vaccinated several times against common flu always having flu again? I never got the commom flu and also never got the vaccine for it.

Fomivirsen (Vitravene) is a mRNA drug introduced in 1998 and FDA approved.

(I have more examples if folks want?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

https://mobile.twitter.com/simondolan?prefetchtimestamp=1607087658589

Still want to take the vaccine? What's the point if nothing changes? And what happens over there happens here too. You don't think William will do the same here?

Advertisement