Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Caraibh wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/simondolan?prefetchtimestamp=1607087658589

Still want to take the vaccine? What's the point if nothing changes? And what happens over there happens here too. You don't think William will do the same here?

Your link and comment don't make any sense together (is it the correct link)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Your link and comment don't make any sense together (is it the correct link)?

Sorry, I thought it linked to the tweet in question, but it just links to his page.

The tweet in question reads:

"Speechless.

This is now insane. What’s the point?

Coronavirus vaccine won't free you from self-isolation, says Government."

If you scroll down a bit you'll see it. Sorry again. I thought it linked to the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's never been used in any approved drug. It's been known to attack the autoimmune system and in larger doses damage kidneys.

Anything in large doses is likely to damage the kidneys. This is the sort of thing anti vaxxers get away with and I'm not saying you are one. They say that a certain ingredient in a vaccine can cause organ damage while ommitting to tell you the ingredient in the vaccine is about one millionth of what would actually cause you damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

schmoo2k wrote:
    Fomivirsen (Vitravene) is a mRNA drug introduced in 1998 and FDA approved.

(I have more examples if folks want?)
    My apologies, I see I used the word drug instead of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

It's never been used in any approved drug. It's been known to attack the autoimmune system and in larger doses damage kidneys.

As others have pointed out there are significant flaws in your points.

Your body produces copious amounts of mRNA on a daily basis. There is no such thing as an autoimmune system.

For any toxicity the dose needed to result in that effect is key. You can apply the same logic you have used to water. At high doses of water it will damage your kidney. Do you avoid water?

• Advertisement

My apologies, I see I used the word drug instead of vaccine.

Thats ok, all vaccines are drugs...

FWIW The way it has been used in cancer treatment is a "vaccine style" treatment (but not for viruses)

cgc5483 wrote:
    Your body produces copious amounts of mRNA on a daily basis. There is no such thing as an autoimmune system.
    Again I need to be specific, synthetic mRNA.
    Autoimmune system is commonly used terminology when discussing autoimmune disease.

cgc5483 wrote:
    For any toxicity the dose needed to result in that effect is key. You can apply the same logic you have used to water. At high doses of water it will damage your kidney. Do you avoid water?
    You'd need to link to dosage warnings. I can't find that anywhere.

schmoo2k wrote:
    Huh - he is said he would take it as soon as it was approved?
    No he didn't, he said he take it when Fauci said it was ok.

• Advertisement

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Huh - he said he would take it as soon as it was approved?

sorry I was just referring to the back and fourth between the UK and the US in terms of giving them the green light.
    Fauci said the UK jumped the gun on this and he's not read the research to give them the nod for Americans' yet I think.

separately only 58% in the USA will apparently take the vaccine, again, they are certainly not convinced.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the guy he has selected to be the CMO? Who will say it is safe following FDA approval.
    Yep.

Stop the fake news would you - Fauci will be taking it himself as soon as the FDA has approved it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2020/11/10/i-trust-pfizer-fauci-says-he-would-take-coronavirus-vaccine-upon-fda-approval/?sh=16ad29931a7f

rusty cole wrote: »
    sorry I was just referring to the back and fourth between the UK and the US in terms of giving them the green light.
    Fauci said the UK jumped the gun on this and he's not read the research to give them the nod for Americans' yet I think.

separately only 58% in the USA will apparently take the vaccine, again, they are certainly not convinced.:eek:

You literarily said "the president elect"?

the guy he has selected to be the CMO? Who will say it is safe following FDA approval. Yep.
    The linked article stated that Biden said he will take it when Fauci says it's ok.
    I corrected a person stating he said he would take it as soon as it's approved which he did not.
    schmoo2k wrote:
    Stop the fake news would you - Fauci will be taking it himself as soon as the FDA has approved it:
    No fake news, correcting misinformation is what I was doing. When Fauci tells him it's ok he's taking it.

The linked article stated that Biden said he will take it when Fauci says it's ok.
    I corrected a person stating he said he would take it as soon as it's approved which he did not.

No fake news, correcting misinformation is what I was doing. When Fauci tells him it's ok he's taking it.

Ahh good - I thought the OP was trying to say Biden was not sure if he would take it or not. Where both Fauci and Biden have both said they will take it as soon as its been approved (FDA -> Fauci -> Biden).

schmoo2k wrote:
    Ahh good - I thought the OP was trying to say Biden was not sure if he would take it or not. Where both Fauci and Biden have both said they will take it as soon as its been approved (FDA -> Fauci -> Biden).

Yeah, I thought he was saying that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

If you want to be part of society then at least make an effort to boost the herd immunity of society.
    Most anti vaxxers benefit from herd immunity without them knowing it. And without vaccines we'd be stuck in permanent lockdown to avoid often fatal diseases.

Boosting immunity comes with what you put into your body and how you treat it. This is far better than any covid vaccine can be. Even when we are told that a vaccine is only one of the measures to enable us to go back to normal, people don't seem to realise that they have their own responsibility to not be overweight, to not touch alcohol, to reduce stress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Boosting immunity comes with what you put into your body and how you treat it. This is far better than any covid vaccine can be.
    It must give you a great sense of smugness to be able to point at people and say that something they did made them get more severe Covid. Covid becomes progressively more dangerous with age, which isn't something you cure by eating your greens. Neither are most cancers, asthma, or people on immuno suppressant drugs.

Also, can you provide healthy eating tips which will be as effective as vaccines for preventing Smallpox, Ebola & Polio?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Boosting immunity comes with what you put into your body and how you treat it. This is far better than any covid vaccine can be. Even when we are told that a vaccine is only one of the measures to enable us to go back to normal, people don't seem to realise that they have their own responsibility to not be overweight, to not touch alcohol, to reduce stress etc.

What about the people who are perfectly healthy, the olympians who caught COVID and are still suffering?

Take the damn vaccine, posts like yours only add to the idea that we dont need vaccines, we just need to eat more spelt type nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

It's not "either or". You seem like you think a vaccine is a silver bullet. Boosting immunity is part of the arsenal to fight covid. Don't think you can take a vaccine and then things will be grand for you if you are overweight and have a poor lifestyle. Covid is one of many speed bumps you yourself need to deal with both physically and mentally.

Additionally, to point out a fact about personal responsibility when it comes to looking after one's health but getting told this is smug is bemusing and strikes me as defensive. I am not talking about those in their 80s when it comes to this. If they've made it that far they've done something right. It's those that are younger that need to have some common sense if they think they take a vaccine and that's the end of their worries.

Don't be overweight, reduce stress, don't eat processed food, exercise, limit alcohol. Or else don't complain about what is in effect a relatively harmless respiratory virus.

Don't be overweight, reduce stress, don't eat processed food, exercise, limit alcohol. Or else don't complain about what is in effect a relatively harmless respiratory virus.
    You are being told it's smug because it is smug. There's lots of people out there who for one reason or another are unable to keep themselves in shape like people with genetic organ issues or suffering from mental illnesses. There's people with large families struggling to get by and doing their best to put food on the table but unable to afford to buy good foods for daily consumption. They'll buy a big pack of sausage rolls and other crap to make sure they can survive the week.
    I am not overweight, have exercised regularly for most of my life and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2015 at 47 years of age. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2005 and the Professor I deal with tells me there's a strong link between the two illnesses. I feel very unfortunate to be in the situation I'm in and despite my best efforts to beat it I still suffer from diabetes type 2. I've done two triathlons in the last twelve months.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

hmmm wrote: »
    Also, can you provide healthy eating tips which will be as effective as vaccines for preventing Smallpox, Ebola & Polio?

Those are diseases that are long time around and proved to be contagious and lethal.
    There's people with large families struggling to get by and doing their best to put food on the table but unable to afford to buy good foods for daily consumption. They'll buy a big pack of sausage rolls and other crap to make sure they can survive the week.

Coming from a VERY poor country I can't disagree more with this comment for two reasons:

1 - there is no poverty in Ireland. Fact. No matter if an Irish person will say there is, there is not, they don't know what they are talking about.

2 - obesity is very scarse in poor countries, watching old videos from 30 years ago from country there was absolutely no single obese person. Obesity can't be associated with poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No doubt.

Will there be any side effects down the line?
    I have some nerve issues, will the vaccine have any adverse effects on me?

Who can I ask? My Gp maybe. No it's a new vaccine, he has no experience with it.
    Should I ring Pfizer themselves maybe?
    Would they tell me?

You should 100% talk to your GP to find out if your medical issues could be exacerbated by the vaccine. Asking me or anyone else on an internet forum isn't the way forward for you. I wouldn't even discuss it online before talking to a doctor. They are trained medical experts and will understand your issues far better than anyone on this thread. You'll receive reassurances and professional advice.

Best of luck, I hope the vaccine will have no adverse affects on you.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You should 100% talk to your GP to find out if your medical issues could be exacerbated by the vaccine. Asking me or anyone else on an internet forum isn't the way forward for you. I wouldn't even discuss it online before talking to a doctor. They are trained medical experts and will understand your issues far better than anyone on this thread. You'll receive reassurances and professional advice.

Best of luck, I hope the vaccine will have no adverse affects on you.

He wasn't asking you, he was asking you who he should ask. And as he says his gp won't know enough about it.

Das Reich wrote: »
    Those are diseases that are long time around and proved to be contagious and lethal.

Coming from a VERY poor country I can't disagree more with this comment for two reasons:

1 - there is no poverty in Ireland. Fact. No matter if an Irish person will say there is, there is not, they don't know what they are talking about.

2 - obesity is very scarse in poor countries, watching old videos from 30 years ago from country there was absolutely no single obese person. Obesity can't be associated with poverty.

Obesity is now a huge problem for the poorer in first world countries, particularly in car dependent parts Ireland. When McDonalds started selling plastic burgers, fries & a bucket of cocacola in less affluent areas for less than a kilo of carrots the problem started. Overweight children are common sight in certain parts of the country now.

He wasn't asking you, he was asking you who he should ask. And as he says his gp won't know enough about it.

He/she dd ask me a question and that question was who to ask... My answer is that his or her GP will know enough about their medical condition to ascertain of the vaccine will affect them adversely.

Ask a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

In many respects you are right. Things are relative.

Many Poorer people in the west (not all) have a less healthy diet in many respects due to eating cheaper less nutritious processed foods. No excuses really as we have lots of fresh vegetables and good quality meat at very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Yes, and eradicated or brought under control by vaccines. So, in effect they are "silver bullets".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

If you are considering taking this new generation vaccine, PLEASE look at this. It's published 3 days ago and it's published on the UK Governments website, so it ain't conspiracy stuff. In the link for Heathcare Professionals, please look at 4.6 and 4.7

https://t.co/AhXEiZnVBg

Advertisement