Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

VonLuck wrote: »
    I think it's comparable to the flu vaccine. I don't know any of my friends in their twenties or thirties who would even consider taking a flu vaccine in the winter.
    The social buy-in and the wide availability will drive it deeper than the 'flu vaccine.

Most of your friends don't get the 'flu vaccine because they have to seek it out. If their employers offered it for free in the office (like mine has done in the past), then they would be more likely to take it.

The covid vaccine will be free and eventually will be easily accessible. And there's the implication that it may restrict your ability to do things like go on holiday, get some jobs. It might even make it difficult to attend certain events, and employers may insist on candidates showing proof of vaccination before offeinrg interviews.
    Bragging that "I didn't get the covid vaccine" won't be a badge of honour, it'll be the words of a moron whose mates will tell him to cop on and get it done.

Many of the people in these age groups will get it because of their work anyway, so the straggler won't have much of an excuse except pure laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Discrimination.
    How many countries in the world is it illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of not having taken a vaccine?
    Similarly if you're obsese, a smoker, a drinker you should also only get treatment if you pay for it.
    I'm guessing if heavy drinkers, smokers or obese people could take a free jab in the arm, that would reduce the chances of serious symptoms by 95%, they'd be queues a mile long for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

High horse alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Similarly if you're obsese, a smoker, a drinker you should also only get treatment if you pay for it. I assume your self righteous suggestion also applies to those that don't get the flu vaccine and if not why not?

I have stated here I will get the vaccine but I will wait , there does however seem to be a certain cohort that wish to put on the jackboots.

I agree with all the above. I do think health insurance price should be based on risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I agree with all the above. I do think health insurance price should be based on risk.

Health insurance pricing is based on risk factors. Did you not already know this?
    You didn't answer my question about other vaccinations, many healthcare staff refuse the flu vaccine every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Antares35 wrote: »
    What's the difference between a key worker and frontline staff in the context of priority for the vaccine? Are frontline staff medical? What's a key worker then?

A locksmith ??
    One poster has suggested it is anybody who was allowed travel to work in the first lockdown
    The second mickey mouse lockdown does not count

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Health insurance pricing is based on risk factors. Did you not already know this?
    You didn't answer my question about other vaccinations, many healthcare staff refuse the flu vaccine every year.

Health Insurance is not based on individual risk base. 25 year old in my company pays the same price as I do.
    I clearly said i agreed with your reply to my reply. Where is the confusion?

How many countries in the world is it illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of not having taken a vaccine?
    I'm guessing if heavy drinkers, smokers or obese people could take a free jab in the arm, that would reduce the chances of serious symptoms by 95%, they'd be queues a mile long for it.

You're guessing ? So clueless in other words. Although the point I was making to the other poster was if we are going to expect people to pay their hospital care if they refuse a vaccine we should also do the same for smokers, obese, drinkers.
    I thought it was an easy point to understand, clearly it wasn't.

Seweryn wrote: »
    How do I (and anybody) know when the tests have not been finished and long term effects are unknown?

There is no point in listing all his sins, nobody would be interested in reading it, as the list is very long...

Good with the money? Are you for real :confused:...

It would have been possible for Gates to have used his vast wealth to change poor countries in a very straightforward and positive way by, for example, using his billions to help with road building programmes or to help poor farmers to improve their land and their farms by digging wells. Using $10 billion to set up water supplies would have saved many lives in a simple, honest way. Or by feeding hungry people. There are 9 million people that die every year just from hunger, a lot, lot more than from the Cov. thing. He could feed some of them and save their lives. It would be a much easier task, straightforward, very effective and with clear results.
    But you can’t control the world quite as easily simply by doing practical, honest things which save lives. And Gates seems to be keen to take control of every aspect of our lives.

I don’t believe any of Gates’ projects have anything to do with philanthropy. There is too much intermixing of donations and business.

He made a very poor job of giving all his money away
    His wealth has doubled in the last 10 years

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/bill-gates-doubled-wealth-to-100bn-in-last-decade-gave-billions-away-1.4129687#:~:text=Microsoft%20co-founder%20Bill%2

ELM327 wrote: »
    What part of your (or my) mundane life do you think Bill is interested in?

What you do with the technology you own

• Advertisement

Health Insurance is not based on individual risk base. 25 year old in my company pays the same price as I do.
    I clearly said i agreed with your reply to my reply. Where is the confusion?

There is no confusion, why are you looking for those that refuse this vaccine to be treated differently yet have no thoughts on the refusal of another vaccine?
    Influenza is also incredibly dangerous yet over 50% of our healthcare staff refuse to take it.

Similarly if you're obsese, a smoker, a drinker you should also only get treatment if you pay for it. I assume your self righteous suggestion also applies to those that don't get the flu vaccine and if not why not?

I have stated here I will get the vaccine but I will wait , there does however seem to be a certain cohort that wish to put on the jackboots.

You are free to make whatever decision you like ,no one is saying any different
    But as in all aspects of our lives ,our choices have impacts and consequences ,and we should use the knowledge of those impacts and consequences before making our choices
    I will more than likely get the vaccine as I am 60.
    If however I am told I cannot travel abroad without being vaccinated I will definitely get vaccinated

You already pay a premium for health insurance if you smoke or are obese
    And as one poster on the property forum found out she could not get mortgage protection because of her high BMI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

You're guessing ? So clueless in other words. Although the point I was making to the other poster was if we are going to expect people to pay their hospital care if they refuse a vaccine we should also do the same for smokers, obese, drinkers.
    I thought it was an easy point to understand, clearly it wasn't.
    No, you're the one who's missing the point, the two categories aren't comparable.
    One has a highly effective and free vaccine against, the other doesn't.
    Yes, people with unhealthy lifestyles place a burden on the health sector, but turning down a free vaccine that couldn't stop you becoming a burden or spreading a virus to others is a considerably worse behaviour.

brisan wrote: »
    You already pay a premium for health insurance if you smoke or are obese
    And as one poster on the property forum found out she could not get mortgage protection because of her high BMI

I already said insurance pricing is risk based. So absolutely no idea why you feel it's necessary to tell me something I already stated.
    The point I was making the poster wants unvaccinated people to pay for their hospital care I stated the same should apply to those whom smoke or are obese or drink.

No, you're the one who's missing the point, the two categories aren't comparable.
    One has a highly effective and free vaccine against, the other doesn't.
    Yes, people with unhealthy lifestyles place a burden on the health sector, but turning down a free vaccine that couldn't stop you becoming a burden or spreading a virus to others is a considerably worse behaviour.

You do realise people have the right to refuse this vaccine and your attempt of making it a moral position is pathetic.
    It would be interesting to see a poll asking two questions.
    1 , do you support forced vaccination.
    2 , how did you vote in the 'repeal the 8th amendment.

You do realise people have the right to refuse this vaccine and your attempt of making it a moral position is pathetic.
    It would be interesting to see a poll asking two questions.
    1 , do you support forced vaccination.
    2 , how did you vote in the 'repeal the 8th amendment.

Of course you will always have the right to refuse vaccination
    But with the right to choose comes responsibilities and consequences
    You can refuse to wear a mask on public transport and that is your right
    The consequences are you are not allowed travel on public transport

Of course you will always have the right to refuse vaccination
    But with the right to choose comes responsibilities and consequences
    You can refuse to wear a mask on public transport and that is your right
    The consequences are you are not allowed travel on public transport

If healthcare staff refuse? As they do with the flu vaccine. Sack them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

They keep talking about when and who is getting vaccinated, but the only question for me is what societal benefits do you get from the vaccine. As in...can you travel abroad/wherever completely free of any obstacles if you have taken the vaccine? Of much less importance - must you still wear masks/observe social distancing?

If the answer is nothing will change and society will continue going under lockdowns as cases rise - then I suppose I'll still take it to improve the situation, but it will mean next to nothing.

• Advertisement

If healthcare staff refuse? As they do with the flu vaccine. Sack them?

I would say there will be consequences and rightly so
    By law your employer is obliged to provide you with a safe workplace ,and you as an employee are not allowed do anything to endanger your work colleagues
    The laws are there ,but I doubt the HSE has the balls to enforce them

By law your employer is obliged to provide you with a safe workplace ,and you as an employee are not allowed do anything to endanger your work colleagues

You really should know what you are talking about.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/employers-who-ban-staff-from-office-for-not-getting-vaccine-on-shaky-legal-ground-expert-39777519.html

Case has not been tested
    One expert opinion does not make it so

Employees – your responsibilities. As an employee, you have a 'duty of care' responsibility for safety and health at the workplace. ... report any hazards, injuries or ill health to your supervisor or employer; and. cooperate with your employer when they require something to be done for safety and health at the workplace.Jul 7, 2020

Case has not been tested
    One expert opinion does not make it so

Employees – your responsibilities. As an employee, you have a 'duty of care' responsibility for safety and health at the workplace. ... report any hazards, injuries or ill health to your supervisor or employer; and. cooperate with your employer when they require something to be done for safety and health at the workplace.Jul 7, 2020

I'll take an expert's opinion who is in public domain with their advice rather than an anonymous internet commentator if it's ok with you.
    You don't even understand the piece of legislation you quoted. Time to ignore you. Bye.

I'll take an expert's opinion who is in public domain with their advice rather than an anonymous internet commentator if it's ok with you.
    You don't even understand the piece of legislation you quoted. Time to ignore you. Bye.

Admit defeat and run you mean
    BYE

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But they are not medical experts. That's not a HSE remit anyway, it's the HSA.

Admit defeat and run you mean
    BYE

I don't need to run when the person I'm conversing with is clearly clueless as to some things they post or to what the legislation actually covers. As I said bye.

I don't need to run when the person I'm conversing with is clearly clueless as to some things they post or to what the legislation actually covers. As I said bye.

Thats twice you said that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Good news that the Pfizer vaccine has a strong effect within ten days of the first dose. News keeps getting better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

I will take it. I'd take it now if it was available. Looking at the data I've seen it looks as safe as any medication could be and statistically a hell of a lot safer than most other activities I do on a daily basis such as driving, crossing the road, making toast in the morning

But I'm in either group 13 or 14 so I suspect I won't get a call until next June or July so it will be well tested by then.

Advertisement