Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

plodder wrote: »
    Good news that the Pfizer vaccine has a strong effect within ten days of the first dose. News keeps getting better.

Bad news that all vaccine manufacturers are being given exemption from liability if as an Astra Zenica scientist put it "something goes wrong down the line "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-astrazeneca-results-vaccine-liability-idUSKCN24V2EN

Also:

According to the Vaccines Europe memo, some people are likely to suffer “adverse events” after vaccination. “Even if such events may in fact not be related to the vaccines, such occurrences combined with the sheer scale of the vaccination programme and public attention to Covid-19, could lead to numerous damage claims.”

Yannis Natsis, who sits as an elected member in charge of patient representation on the board of the European Medicines Agency, told the Financial Times that an exemption from civil liability would create “a dangerous precedent” that could have ramifications beyond the pandemic.

One link is from Reuters and the other to the financial times. This ain't no Facebook armchair scientific opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I will drink it, ingest it, inject it, inhale it, wear a patch and take it as a suppository.

Corona will cower in fear at my very presence.

As I enter buildings, the fire escapes will burst open as corona flees the building in terror.

I will wear an anti mask which amplifies my breath, cleansing road and path as far as the eye can see.

Everything I touch will become uncovid in all manner, a mere brush of my shoulder shall cleanse the infected.

Hand dryers will automatically reverse and suck in my anti covid radiance, cleansing an entire block as they blow it back out again.

My farts will deep clean the luas seat.

I can do no more than this, but I will do it well, and do it often. You will come to recongise the mark, but not the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

brisan wrote: »
    Of course you will always have the right to refuse vaccination
    But with the right to choose comes responsibilities and consequences
    You can refuse to wear a mask on public transport and that is your right
    The consequences are you are not allowed travel on public transport

If healthcare staff refuse? As they do with the flu vaccine. Sack them?

My other half is a healthcare worker and can't take it because of underlying conditions.

It's a pain, but it is what it is and I'm sure she ain't the only one.

The likes of brisan don't get the grey in life.

I mean, there's some sham over in the Vaccine thread saying that prisoners should be last. No consideration at all as to WHY we take vaccines.

It's maddening watching ostensibly intelligent people talk absolute práisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I will drink it, ingest it, inject it, inhale it, wear a patch and take it as a suppository.

Corona will cower in fear at my very presence.

As I enter buildings, the fire escapes will burst open as corona flees the building in terror.

I will wear an anti mask which amplifies my breath, cleansing road and path as far as the eye can see.

Everything I touch will become uncovid in all manner, a mere brush of my shoulder shall cleanse the infected.

When I use a hand dryer in a public toilet, everything within a 10 mile radius will be sanitised.

My farts will deep clean the luas seat.

I can do no more than this, but I will do it well, and do it often. You will come to recongise the mark, but not the man.

Your not related to Paddy Green by any chance. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I’d steer clear of the majority of threads on COVID :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Russman wrote: »
    I’d steer clear of the majority of threads on COVID :D

Oh I do :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AmirPelavin01

I will not. Maybe not at first. I want to see first if it is effective. I think my body is strong and I need no vaccine because I did not have COVID-19 at all. Still, I do not want to be a guinea pig. I want to see if it works first, then maybe it will be a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, no concerns about long covid or even longer term affects from this virus. Let's not concern ourselves with any of that.

Those who are concerned can self isolate and take the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

My other half is a healthcare worker and can't take it because of underlying conditions.

I mean, there's some sham over in the Vaccine thread saying that prisoners should be last. No consideration at all as to WHY we take vaccines.

Your other half is not refusing to take the vaccine
    She cannot on medical grounds take the vaccine
    I don't see any grey there ,just black and white
    what you have painted there was never part of the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Seriously, she should reconsider her job. She is endangering herself and others.
    I'm not having a go, but she may be unable to follow her profession on health grounds.

And as a general rule, this statement for me runs alongside "I have a note from my doctor that I can't wear a mask", 99% of people who say either are bullsh*tting. Again, not directed at you, just in general.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Seriously, she should reconsider her job. She is endangering herself and others.
    I'm not having a go, but she may be unable to follow her profession on health grounds.
    I'd doubt that. Could she not just get regular tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Bad news that all vaccine manufacturers are being given exemption from liability if as an Astra Zenica scientist put it "something goes wrong down the line "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-astrazeneca-results-vaccine-liability-idUSKCN24V2EN

Also:

According to the Vaccines Europe memo, some people are likely to suffer “adverse events” after vaccination. “Even if such events may in fact not be related to the vaccines, such occurrences combined with the sheer scale of the vaccination programme and public attention to Covid-19, could lead to numerous damage claims.”

Yannis Natsis, who sits as an elected member in charge of patient representation on the board of the European Medicines Agency, told the Financial Times that an exemption from civil liability would create “a dangerous precedent” that could have ramifications beyond the pandemic.

One link is from Reuters and the other to the financial times. This ain't no Facebook armchair scientific opinions
    As your quote points out, it could possibly happen the same way it happened with MMR and the supposed autism link. It's due to the sheer number of people receiving the vaccine, as some will get sick straight after getting it, because they were going to get sick anyway, not because they got the vaccine. But, people will still make the connection and some may try to sue the vaccine manufacturer.

Interesting example of this happening recently at the BBC report below:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-55179300

On the question of who can and can't get vaccines, I just read that some people can't get the flu vaccine that comes from a live virus. But, none of the three vaccines we might be using are that type. So, I wouldn't assume at this stage that someone can't get vaccinated. I think it's a bit soon to come to any conclusion about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The_Brood wrote: »
    They keep talking about when and who is getting vaccinated, but the only question for me is what societal benefits do you get from the vaccine. As in...

I suppose I'll still take it to improve the situation, but it will mean next to nothing.

Erm, there is some vague benefit in not catching COVID I believe, but I could be wrong of course.
    :rolleyes:

I'd doubt that. Could she not just get regular tests?

She could still get infected and if she can't even withstand the vaccine, how will she react to the full thing?
    And if she is asymptomatic she could still spread the disease, the test is no guarantee.
    It would be extremely negligent towards herself, patients, colleagues and family.
    If she would even be allowed to work, but that I don't know.
    There may be no compulsory vaccination, but that does not mean that there won't be restrictions on work, education and travel for those who don't get it.
    There will be some screaming and jumping up and down about that, but it'll die down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is there any process to check if you already had Covid, or is there an expectation that even those who previously had Covid should vaccinate?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Detritus70 wrote: »

And as a general rule, this statement for me runs alongside "I have a note from my doctor that I can't wear a mask", 99% of people who say either are bullsh*tting. Again, not directed at you, just in general.

Neither the Pfizer nor the Moderna vaccine trials tested whether the vaccines prevent people from being infected with the virus. Those trials, instead, focused on whether people were shielded from developing disease symptoms. That means that it’s not clear whether vaccinated people could still develop asymptomatic infections — and thus still be able to spread the virus to others. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

begbysback wrote: »
    Is there any process to check if you already had Covid, or is there an expectation that even those who previously had Covid should vaccinate?
    I would imagine that everyone should get it. It's a reasonable question which I'm sure many are asking though. From what I understand, the vaccine produces a greater level of anti-bodies than what you would get from a mild infection, and it will be a lot simpler for everyone to get it than than to be testing you first to see if you had the bug.

Regarding medical people getting it. I'd say it will be expected and you would need a good reason to justify not getting it such as having had a bad allergic reaction previously. Just deciding you don't want it, does beg the question, what you are doing in the healthcare profession ...

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Neither the Pfizer nor the Moderna vaccine trials tested whether the vaccines prevent people from being infected with the virus. Those trials, instead, focused on whether people were shielded from developing disease symptoms. That means that it’s not clear whether vaccinated people could still develop asymptomatic infections — and thus still be able to spread the virus to others. 

Even so, I would doubt it is wise for healthprofessionals, who do come in contact with sick people from time to time, to work whilst having no immunity from Covid. Especially if the peron has a pre-existing medical condition.
    ABout receiving the vaccine and still spreading the virus, yes, there's a lot we don't know yet, so this one can't be answered with certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

plodder wrote: »
    Just deciding you don't want it, does beg the question, what you are doing in the healthcare profession ...
    It's odd. 'Flu vaccine takeup is famously low in healthcare workers. Nurses especially.

It's unlikely to be an anti-vaxx thing, more likely to be something to do with not being able to miss any work.

Hopefully this is different though. Any HCW I know have felt a bit like going into work every day is a roll of the dice. So I expect the vaccine will be a welcome relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

No, won't be taking any of these, now or ever.

Have more vaccinations than the average adult, as spent a lot of time in the tropics. But think the idea of taking a vaccine that has been railroaded through development, with a fraction of the normal safety tests, for a disease with such low infection mortality is nuts.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Pretty desperate to do some travelling so will take it at first availability to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

323 wrote: »

Have more vaccinations than the average adult, as spent a lot of time in the tropics. But think the idea of taking a vaccine that has been railroaded through development, with a fraction of the normal safety tests

Can you explain the bit in bold?

323 wrote: »

Have more vaccinations than the average adult, as spent a lot of time in the tropics. But think the idea of taking a vaccine that has been railroaded through development, with a fraction of the normal safety tests, for a disease with such low infection mortality is nuts.

As is your right
    If however restrictions are placed on you such as ?
    Job opportunities reduced
    Ability to travel reduced
    Ability to attend certain events reduced
    Will you reconsider your position ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

As is your right

I’d be pretty sure you legally cannot discriminate in such scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

seamus wrote: »
    It's odd. 'Flu vaccine takeup is famously low in healthcare workers. Nurses especially.

It's unlikely to be an anti-vaxx thing, more likely to be something to do with not being able to miss any work.

Hopefully this is different though. Any HCW I know have felt a bit like going into work every day is a roll of the dice. So I expect the vaccine will be a welcome relief.

In my experience, direct family members working in healthcare, it's a case of not wanting to medicate unnecessarily. If very ill or feeling threatened, then medicate/vaccinate. If not, just let your body deal with it. They don't see the flu as being serious enough to medicate for.

None of them feel that going to work currently is a roll of the dice. They don't feel threatened by Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

As is your right

That is simply not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As is your right

Should we do all of the above for people who don't take the flu vaccine as well?
    What about pregnant women, are we doing this to them?
    What about people that don't wash themselves?

begbysback wrote: »
    I’d be pretty sure you legally cannot discriminate in such scenarios.

Quants already have
    Ticketmaster have floated the idea
    One poster here has said his HR dept have e mailed him and said from an unspecified as yet date from next year ,no vaccine no job
    So it may happen
    if it does would you reconsider your position

eagle eye wrote: »
    Should we do all of the above for people who don't take the flu vaccine as well?
    What about pregnant women, are we doing this to them?
    What about people that don't wash themselves?

We are not discussing the flu vaccine
    pregnant women cant take the vaccine ,we are discussing people who will not take the vaccine ,

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    In my experience, direct family members working in healthcare, it's a case of not wanting to medicate unnecessarily. If very ill or feeling threatened, then medicate/vaccinate. If not, just let your body deal with it. They don't see the flu as being serious enough to medicate for.

None of them feel that going to work currently is a roll of the dice. They don't feel threatened by Covid.

I'll take things that never happened for 500.
    Just bollocks.
    Funny how the "sceptics" are always disease experts, work in "the medical profession" and "seem" to know the virus at a molecular level.
    I'm sure these people were also suddenly "experts" at raking leaves in forests or were anthropological experts when the subject was refugees. :rolleyes:

Advertisement