Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    How controlling it can be and understand what we see getting played out before our eyes is capable to do in today's society by rich and wealthy individuals.

Who are these rich and wealthy individuals? How have then managed to organise multiple vaccines to be developed, in competition with each other and also in collaboration with each other (as no-one is trying to claim that vaccine X doesn't work, here take vaccine Y)? How have these vaccines been developed in multiple countries, with similar results from Russia-Germany-US and UK of the ones so far and how have these wealthy individuals managed to arrange for all the vaccines to be controlling us? How are the vaccines controlling us? Why hasn't anyone from any of the different research institutes that have created these vaccines leaked the information on this wealthy individual? How have they managed to sort out this level of conspiracy across the whole globe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

They should be made mandatory for all activities full stop. No exceptions allowed other than for genuine medical reasons.

I disagree - especially while it's not even available to everyone. Further once it is available for everyone, there should be no need to mandate it except in some extreme cases.

I don't even know where to start with this. Of course it's been rushed but you just keep believing what your reading.

Again, I'm not here for not picking and pulling posts apart by each other.

I will not be taking it and that's the end of the matter!

Rushed or Expedited? Essentially the same thing but one is more emotive...

Have a cup of tea there fella and chill.
    Don't get so worked up about strangers on the Internet. I'm glad you are so enlightened.
    Here's a an old Japanese quote for you.
    "The frog in the well, does not know of the sea"
    Ciao

Spout sh*te, prepare to be called out on it.

Your quote applies to whatever bizarre corners of the internet you get your "facts" from

Grand so you've no facts to back up the view point.

Don't know why I even asked to be honest expected this sort of reply.

Yea I was surprised you asked given the title of this thread... IMO it is totally fine for folks to not take it, or to wait (most of the low risk folks are forced to wait anyway). As long as the high risk folks have had the vaccine we can go back to normal safe in the knowledge that the Coivid related hospital admissions will be minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't even know where to start with this. Of course it's been rushed but you just keep believing what your reading.

Again, I'm not here for not picking and pulling posts apart by each other.

I will not be taking it and that's the end of the matter!

The vaccines have not been rushed, just less time was spent arguing about what type of biscuit they should have in the meeting whilst lobbying for the next round of funding.

Normally they come up with an idea for a vaccine, try to get some money to develop it, that funding falls through, they come up with another idea, get some funding for that, try to sort out trials, the disease fades away before they trial starts, they try to get more funding for restarting trials, they get some trials started with another group, they then run out of funding, get another group of people ready for more trials, the drug company decides it's not worth the bother anymore and they forget about it for 5 years before starting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The development of vaccines for Covid happens to coincide with a growth in anti-vaxx belief. A belief that is fed through social media. How do we tackle this? I don't believe that confronting anti-vaxx people with science or sense is going to work. Neither is talk of requiring vaccination certs for living life. I believe we should introduce science earlier in education, but that is a long-term fix. What's the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tobeme2020

plodder wrote: »
    Well that is sad (if true). You say you understand the world. I think your problem is you don't understand it, and your way of dealing with that is seeking out other people on the internet who think the same way you do. So, you find these web sites or groups that spread all this disinformation about vaccines and other drugs. It's a shame if it really leads to this level of suspicion about things that could cure a serious illness. Anyway, I'm not going to try and convince you. Whatever about the hypothetical question I just asked you, I don't believe there will be any negative consequences from you not taking the vaccine, unless you work in a hospital. Good luck with your life choices.

I have witnessed many a family member suffer a horrible death in hospitals with cancer and I believe it wasn't the actual cancer that killed them. I know 2 people who cured there cancers naturally and another who cured a turmor with cannabis oil. I will take my chances naturally and if I die, then so be it. Same as this vaccine. If I don't take it and I die from it, then that was a silly mistake I did make however I strongly believe that if I don't take it, nothing is going to happen to me with covid

polesheep wrote: »
    The development of vaccines for Covid happens to coincide with a growth in anti-vaxx belief. A belief that is fed through social media. How do we tackle this? I don't believe that confronting anti-vaxx people with science or sense is going to work. Neither is talk of requiring vaccination certs for living life. I believe we should introduce science earlier in education, but that is a long-term fix. What's the solution?

Ignore it - the anti vaxxers are loud but small in numbers, evolution will take care of them in the long run.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Ignore it - the anti vaxxers are loud but small in numbers, evolution will take care of them in the long run.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a growing number.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a growing number.

IMO it doesn't really matter, its only when they are stood outside schools with factually incorrect leaflets that it becomes an issue.

Like I say evolution will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

seamus wrote: »
    March/April probably.

Is that the expected timeframe for the first or second dose to be administered (to 1 million)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I will take my chances naturally and if I die, then so be it. Same as this vaccine. If I don't take it and I die from it, then that was a silly mistake I did make however I strongly believe that if I don't take it, nothing is going to happen to me with covid

I presume you're ok with the possibility of passing it on to someone else and them dying as a result of your silly mistake even if you yourself don't die? That's a big thing to live with in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if ticketmaster insist i inject raw sewage into my veins to get things moving again then so be it

I have witnessed many a family member suffer a horrible death in hospitals with cancer and I believe it wasn't the actual cancer that killed them. I know 2 people who cured there cancers naturally and another who cured a turmor with cannabis oil. I will take my chances naturally and if I die, then so be it. Same as this vaccine. If I don't take it and I die from it, then that was a silly mistake I did make however I strongly believe that if I don't take it, nothing is going to happen to me with covid

So you have multiple family members surviving cancer with homeopathy, and others who have had cancer but then died from other causes?

Have you had your family put forward for a proper medical study. Seems there is something strange going on with the genetics in your family to have so much cancer in it, but also for none of the family to actually die from cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

josip wrote: »
    Is that the expected timeframe for the first or second dose to be administered (to 1 million)?
    It's a guess mainly by me, based on the expected volumes of vaccine to be shipped and the numbers of people in each of the first 5/6 classes due to receive the vaccination. I'm probably being overly optimistic, I usually am.

Most EU countries are in general aiming for about 40% coverage by the start of the summer and 70% by September. 1 million people would be 20%, so we can make a rough guess that we'll hit that figure by mid-Spring.

The rollout will seem painfully slow at first; we might only have 200,000 (or less) done by Valentine's Day. But supply and rollout will ramp up very quickly as we move into Spring.

If you are in a low risk group then you are very likely correct. We are very fortunate that the demographics for high / low risk are the way they are (imagine if they were reversed).

But to be fair the known stats for dying from Covid versus dying from the vaccine are very clear (granted the vaccine is only at the equivalent levels that Covid was in Feb 2020 currently, but that is about to change).

if ticketmaster insist i inject raw sewage into my veins to get things moving again then so be it

Ticketmaster will insist you supply your own raw sewage but charge you an administration fee for collecting it

Ticketmaster will insist you supply your own raw sewage but charge you an administration fee for collecting it

I assumed he was talking about Budweiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

We should stop holding up "herd immunity" as being the only way we can return to normality - once the at risk folks have been offered (and taken) the vaccine, then we will be left with the folks who will be predominantly asymptomatic or minor symptoms.

At which point we can return to normality and if / when the virus spreads it won't really matter.

Ironically you still end up with herd immunity due to natural immunity.

For high risk folks who are unable to take the vaccine they will need to continue to self-isolate and take precautions, but at least that will be the few and not the many (and it would be daft to say that's not fair and everyone should self isolate if the few have to isolate).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agree, i personally won't be taking the vaccine as i react badly to stings and this is now a thing supposedly in relation to allergic reactions.

If someone "had" or "has" covid yet are asymptomatic or little effect on them then why vaccinate them? get those in need vaccinated then lets all get back to living life. As you say, there may be a small cohort that will need a different apporach, some sort of other mitigation methods.

there seems to be no indication that taking the vaccine will stop the virus spread.

it's a worry as to governments are buying so many doses of the vaccine, they don't need that many. not everyone will take it, everyone thats already had it with no effect have no need for it. the vast majority of people either never knew they had it or it had little effect on them, so why buy vaccines for them? nice little earner for the pharma companies. i'm guessing there'll be millions of unused vaccines worldwide, maybe they could hold us down? i've worked on the frontline in a non civil service role all during this, no claps for me, i'll take my chances, i've had to since march anyway. whatever your opinion on donald trump, he's not exactly an ideal picture of health, late nights, long hours, fizzy drinks... but he still got over it. all these footballers that got it are still kicking ball. how's the sligo football panel doing ? all dead ? no. so can i go on a hol next year ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agree, i personally won't be taking the vaccine as i react badly to stings and this is now a thing supposedly in relation to allergic reactions.

If someone "had" or "has" covid yet are asymptomatic or little effect on them then why vaccinate them? get those in need vaccinated then lets all get back to living life. As you say, there may be a small cohort that will need a different apporach, some sort of other mitigation methods.

there seems to be no indication that taking the vaccine will stop the virus spread.

it's a worry as to governments are buying so many doses of the vaccine, they don't need that many. not everyone will take it, everyone thats already had it with no effect have no need for it. the vast majority of people either never knew they had it or it had little effect on them, so why buy vaccines for them? nice little earner for the pharma companies. i'm guessing there'll be millions of unused vaccines worldwide, maybe they could hold us down? i've worked on the frontline in a non civil service role all during this, no claps for me, i'll take my chances, i've had to since march anyway. whatever your opinion on donald trump, he's not exactly an ideal picture of health, late nights, long hours, fizzy drinks... but he still got over it. all these footballers that got it are still kicking ball. how's the sligo football panel doing ? all dead ? no. so can i go on a hol next year ? :D
    I kind of agree that when it comes to the point where (statistically speaking) the virus is no more dangerous than the flu, then we should treat it the same way we treat the flu, and beyond good hygiene and gentle encourgement towards vaccination, other restrictions should be gone.

The vaccine does appear to reduce the spread though. The Pfizer trial found a 67% reduction after the first shot (by swabbing everyone just before the second shot).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

aido79 wrote: »
    I presume you're ok with the possibility of passing it on to someone else and them dying as a result of your silly mistake even if you yourself don't die? That's a big thing to live with in my book.
    Please check the facts.
    There is no evidence the vaccine prevents transmission of the virus nor was this tested in trials. You will have to mask up and social distance until this has been investigated further.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

get those in need vaccinated then lets all get back to living life.
    This is basically what will happen. It's not the case that we'll be under restrictions until everyone is vaccinated.

However, there is always the small cohort, like yourself, who cannot get vaccinated. The "mitigation methods" for this cohort is to vaccinate the entire population. When you reach a critical point - herd immunity - the ability of an infection to pass from one unvaccinated individual to another is massively reduced, because the only infection paths available to the virus are all vaccinated.*

If we don't vaccinate the population, then at-risk individuals who can't get vaccinated, remain high risk permanently.

*We don't actually know yet if the vaccine prevents transmission through vaccinated individuals, but the indications are good. When we get to the point where we're ready to vaccinate "normal" people, the extent of this protection will be better known.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ Best laugh today.
    Thanks!

I wonder if you will still be laughing when you are not allowed to go on foreign travel, stay in hotels ,dine in restuurants, attend concerts etc etc if you don`t have a valid vaccination ceetificate.

I wonder if you will still be laughing when you are not allowed to go on foreign travel, stay in hotels ,dine in restuurants, attend concerts etc etc if you don`t have a valid vaccination ceetificate.

Except most of things will never be restricted in that way (the exception being some countries not letting you in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Except most of things will never be restricted in that way (the exception being some countries not letting you in).

Is this a fact or an opinion

brisan wrote: »

It's obviously an opinion, in the same way that people stating the opposite are stating an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

It's obviously an opinion, in the same way that people stating the opposite are stating an opinion.

So you dont know the same as me
    Do you accept that there could be restrictions placed on the activities of people who refuse to get vaccinated on non medical grounds

So you dont know the same as me
    Do you accept that there could be restrictions placed on the activities of people who refuse to get vaccinated on non medical grounds

Do you accept that there could be people from the planet Smooglzzpop who will land on earth tomorrow and they have green heads and blue tentacles for arms?

• Advertisement

Today its 100% fact and while I may be wrong in the future, I don't think so.

1. Concerts and gigs (for example) will not go ahead until the at risk groups are vaccinated
    2. If your vaccinated and go to a gig happy days
    3. If your not vaccinated but consider yourself to be in a low risk group (and you bubble is low risk) then go to the gig if your happy to do so.

Worst thing that can happen is that a non vaccinated low risk person will get Covid (having made their own choice to attend).

Folks who are high risk and cannot take the vaccine are stuck being extra carful until we have heard immunity, which is going to take a combination of vaccine and natural immunity.

Advertisement