Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting I’m just back from a consultation and need serious surgery which can’t happen because of Covid-19, the reason given Is there is a high risk of death if you’re knocked out and have Covid cells incubating in your body, and the tests cannot detect that. So next time an internet know it all lectures you on the Covid hoax, blast them with piss. We need to reduce pressure on the hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

plodder wrote: »

OOOooo thats going to cause some "discussions"...

schmoo2k wrote: »
    OOOooo thats going to cause some "discussions"...
    I think it's a bit premature to be doing that, and it makes me wonder if they are just publicity seeking. I suspect the typical plumber employed by a company like that is young, and pretty far down the line for getting the vaccine. By the time they can get it, maybe (hopefully) the situation will be very different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think it's a bit premature to be doing that, and it makes me wonder if they are just publicity seeking. I suspect the typical plumber employed by a company like that is young, and pretty far down the line for getting the vaccine. By the time they can get it, maybe (hopefully) the situation will be very different.

Yep, just publicity seeking.

By the time the vaccines are available to all and sundry on request then the need for having them should be mostly dealt with such that nobody really cares if some 20 year old plumber has had a vaccine or not.

It would matter if you are currently a school kid and have had your various vaccines for childhood diseases, but nobody cares if you are an adult in the workplace and happened to have missed out back in the day. With the Covid vaccines, depending on how long they last for, it's likely to just be added onto the round of vaccines that the more mature and vulnerable among us get each year and after this initial round of trying to get everyone done it will hopefully be the last that the 20 year old plumber has anything to do with getting another covid jab for 30 years.

• Advertisement

He got the publicity he wanted , uk’s most colourful plumber:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

robinph wrote: »
    Yep, just publicity seeking.
    Maybe, but I think we're going to see more of this from business and it's interesting to watch the video of the discussion on Jeremy Vine. The owner of the plumbing company is making the point that his customers will be happier knowing their engineers are vaccinated, and ultimately that's what this is about.

I had two tradesmen into the house over the past few months from two different companies - one wore a mask, the other didn't and seemed to be quite amused that I was. I know which company I'll be using in the future long after Covid is gone.

Businesses will do what they think the majority of their customers want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

hmmm wrote: »
    Maybe, but I think we're going to see more of this from business and it's interesting to watch the video of the discussion on Jeremy Vine. The owner of the plumbing company is making the point that his customers will be happier knowing their engineers are vaccinated, and ultimately that's what this is about.

I had two tradesmen into the house over the past few months from two different companies - one wore a mask, the other didn't and seemed to be quite amused that I was. I know which company I'll be using in the future long after Covid is gone.

If vaccines work as anticipated though then by next year it will be irrelevant if your plumber has been vaccinated or not, and it won't be until around that point in time that all their employees would be in a position to have been offered the vaccine. They certainly can't implement this policy for their new employees any time this year as getting vaccinated is only possible for limited people for months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

robinph wrote: »
    If vaccines work as anticipated though then by next year it will be irrelevant if your plumber has been vaccinated or not, and it won't be until around that point in time that all their employees would be in a position to have been offered the vaccine. They certainly can't implement this policy for their new employees any time this year as getting vaccinated is only possible for limited people for months yet.
    I agree your average plumber is going to be close to last on the list of those getting vaccinated, but I think this is smart marketing. He's just sent out a message to his customers that his company is taking this seriously. And we don't know what the situation will be later in the year, particularly if a lot of people don't bother getting the vaccine.

hmmm wrote: »

He opposed one of his long term contractors getting benefits a few years ago and lost(thus changing the rights of uk contractors) and still came out on top with publicity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

He opposed one of his long term contractors getting benefits a few years ago and lost(thus changing the rights of uk contractors) and still came out on top with publicity

He may not have done so well with regard to Brexit. He came out very strongly against it (proving his sanity) and supported a judicial challenge, but the Brexiteers won. It's risky involving your business in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There should be no mandatory vaccinations for anyone, there is a thing called bodily autonomy and bodily integrity and not being vaccinated should not mean you are going to lose any of your rights or privileges as an active member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Tell that to the health care professional who may have to have the misfortune of having to look after you if you get Covid. What a waste of resources if there's a vaccine there.
    theguzman wrote: »
    There should be no mandatory vaccinations for anyone, there is a thing called bodily autonomy and bodily integrity and not being vaccinated should not mean you are going to lose any of your rights or privileges as an active member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

johnire wrote: »
    Tell that to the health care professional who may have to have the misfortune of having to look after you if you get Covid. What a waste of resources if there's a vaccine there.

There was blue bedlam until women's abortion rights were passed, this is exact same thing and I will not have the Government control what I do with my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

johnire wrote: »
    We're not doing mandatory but initial anecdotal data is that there is a big take-up of the vaccine. It's not that surprising considering the chaos COVID has made of our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mrs got her first shot yesterday. Happy to get it too. It will not only help keep her safe at work but reduce chances of bringing covid home.

On a side note, does anyone know when the 5g tracking thing kicks in and is there a specific app it works best with ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Don't understand why it bothers so many people if a person chooses not to get the vaccine ? We don't need 100% uptake to reach herd immunity, we only need 60-70 %

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

_Brian wrote: »
    On a side note, does anyone know when the 5g tracking thing kicks in and is there a specific app it works best with ??

It'll work out of the box with Windows, but best of luck trying to get it to work with any other device.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Could anyone advise why pregnant women are in the final cohort of vaccinations?
    Is it because not enough research has been conducted around pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

New2Dubs wrote: »
    Yes, they weren't tested. About 60k births annually here.

• Advertisement

Pregnant women are normally excluded from drug trials apparently, which was the case with these vaccines. I guess by leaving them near the end, there will be so many people already vaccinated that all possible side effects will be well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Pregnant health care worker were given the choice whether to take it. Hopefully pregnant essential works will have the same choice.

Pregnant women weren't part of the intake for the trial although some were pregnant and did not know til later. No adverse effects in those. As other have said they never include pregnant women or children in the first trials until its proven to be safe in adults. In the next trials they will be included. Same is true for breastfeeding women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes, they weren't tested. About 60k births annually here.

It's not solely due to this. The reason pregnant women in the first and final 3 months of term aren't vaccinated is because most miscarriages happen in the first 3 months. Unfortunately many would believe that their miscarriage occured due to the vaccine and it could incorrectly damage public perception. The same applies for birth defects near end of term.

Apologies if that comes across insensitive, but that is one of the main reasons pregnant women are last. Side effects will be well known by then (practically none so far).

The amount of misinformation out there that people believe is shocking. I've heard horror stories at work of people dying etc immediately after taking the vaccine. A quick google search of the story always debunks it as false. There needs to be real consequences for the people who intentionally spread this misinformation, because there's plenty of people out there who lack the critical thinking to question if what they're hearing/reading is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

moneyman wrote: »
    It's not solely due to this. The reason pregnant women in the first and final 3 months of term aren't vaccinated is because most miscarriages happen in the first 3 months. Unfortunately many would believe that their miscarriage occured due to the vaccine and it could incorrectly damage public perception. The same applies for birth defects near end of term.

Apologies if that comes across insensitive, but that is one of the main reasons pregnant women are last. Side effects will be well known by then (practically none so far).

The amount of misinformation out there that people believe is shocking. I've heard horror stories at work of people dying etc immediately after taking the vaccine. A quick google search of the story always debunks it as false. There needs to be real consequences for the people who intentionally spread this misinformation, because there's plenty of people out there who lack the critical thinking to question if what they're hearing/reading is true.

While I don't disagree with your sentiment - I would say it is not a "main reason", the main reason is that there has been no testing done. There will be and I believe it has already started, but it is a more delicate exercise (as history has shown) and it would have really slowed down the initial trials had they been included (same is true for other "risky" groups, like kids etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Don't understand why it bothers so many people if a person chooses not to get the vaccine ? We don't need 100% uptake to reach herd immunity, we only need 60-70 %

reminds me of this video. The drones in this case are the useless people who wont get vaccinated, not including the people who have medical issued that might prevent them getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

29 elderly people in Norway that received the covid-19 Pfizer vaccine have died.

This is not good news for trying to convince people to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

29 elderly people in Norway that received the covid-19 Pfizer vaccine have died.

This is not good news for trying to convince people to take it.

Was it supposed to make them immortal?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Quazzie wrote: »

Of course not. But I'm sure they didn't sign up to "death by lethal injection either".

I will take a vaccine, yeah. It will be a Russian or Chinese one I guess based on where I live, though Vietnam is developing one as well.

Gotta say the whole anti-vaxx stuff in the last few years has created a huge amount of people who think vaccines are 100% safe and anyone saying otherwise is an idiot. They have their risks just like anything else and a country like Norway raising concerns about certain demographics isn't something to be mocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Quazzie wrote: »

400 die in Norwegian care homes weekly. All were well over 80 who died and extremely frail. A scare mongering story to steal a line from the anti vaxxers.

Advertisement