Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Quazzie wrote: »
    Was it supposed to make them immortal?

No but aren't vaccines supposed to prevent deaths not kill people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Quazzie wrote: »
    Was it supposed to make them immortal?

Those people's deaths don't matter because they didn't die from COVID? The pro-lockdown crowd really are sick in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

29 elderly people in Norway that received the covid-19 Pfizer vaccine have died.

This is not good news for trying to convince people to take it.

They died with the vaccine, not of the vaccine.

#rolleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    400 die in Norwegian care homes weekly. All were well over 80 who died and extremely frail. A scare mongering story to steal a line from the anti vaxxers.

They weren't all "well over" 80. They have now lowered the threshold to 75 for their guidance so obviously some were in that age bracket

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

Perhaps they should have included more of that age group in the trial given that they are also the cohort most at risk from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

johnire wrote: »
    Tell that to the health care professional who may have to have the misfortune of having to look after you if you get Covid. What a waste of resources if there's a vaccine there.

Yes but current vaccine uptake by health care professionals is not quite amusing. Not to mention historical data with for example flu vaccine uptake by them.
    And if enough of them refuse to take them how do you think people would react?

Initially everyone was looking up for them to come but the more talk there is about making them mandatory or refusing services to those who wont take them the more suspicion and hesitancy it create.

• Advertisement

Gotta say the whole anti-vaxx stuff in the last few years has created a huge amount of people who think vaccines are 100% safe and anyone saying otherwise is an idiot. They have their risks just like anything else and a country like Norway raising concerns about certain demographics isn't something to be mocked.

There's a world of difference between analyzing the ongoing clinical effects of a vaccine - which is a legitimate and ongoing pursuit with all pharmaceutical preparations - and a deluded belief that vaccines are weapons of conspiracy.

Let's not forget that for many of these "anti-vaxxers", no amount of evidence will ever persuade them of their belief system.

If you were to ask a genuine anti-vaxxer, "What evidence could I produce to change your mind?", they would almost always say nothing - or something which is impossible to achieve.

So whilst many anti-vaxxers attempt to couch their beliefs in scientific inquiry, they are merely using science against science itself - in a highly biased and selective approach. They care nothing for the truth, however much they air claims to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Yes but current vaccine uptake by health care professionals is not quite amusing. Not to mention historical data with for example flu vaccine uptake by them.
    And if enough of them refuse to take them how do you think people would react?

Initially everyone was looking up for them to come but the more talk there is about making them mandatory or refusing services to those who wont take them the more suspicion and hesitancy it create.
    The HSE are saying there has been a high uptake amongst HCWs so far. Where this differs from flu' shots is how in your face it is and that we are not getting out of it of until enough people take a vaccine.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The HSE are saying there has been a high uptake amongst HCWs so far. Where this differs from flu' shots is how in your face it is and that we are not getting out of it of until enough people take a vaccine.

There is one problem with your belief.
    Nobody with the power to decide about lifting restrictions clearly stated on record that they will be dropped or lifted after vaccination. We only keep hearing this (getting out of it, going back to normal, stopping virus etc) only from anonymous random posters like you on the internet. Forgive me and do not take it personal but what you are saying is just make believe expectation. Nobody even wants to clarify what "enough people" like from your statement is. We already know we can not vaccinate everyone.
    Most likely because even if we would achieve magical 80% vaccine uptake there still will be outbreaks and cases detected and they will be blamed on 20% who could not or did not wanted to take them.
    Not to mention that current vaccines do not stop possible infection or transmission of covid I cant really see how anyone can even expect most of the restrictions disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Not to mention that current vaccines do not stop possible infection or transmission of covid I cant really see how anyone can even expect most of the restrictions disappear.

We don't know that yet, not enough data. Should know next month.

Right now we want to see to the vaccine, in addition to protecting people, is also preventing transferring the virus,” Dr Bourla said.

“This is not conclusive yet. We know that in animals, [there is] significant protection from transferring the virus…. We haven’t [proven that in] humans yet.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is one problem with your belief.
    Nobody with the power to decide about lifting restrictions clearly stated on record that they will be dropped or lifted after vaccination. We only keep hearing this (getting out of it, going back to normal, stopping virus etc) only from anonymous random posters like you on the internet. Forgive me and do not take it personal but what you are saying is just make believe expectation. Nobody even wants to clarify what "enough people" like from your statement is. We already know we can not vaccinate everyone.
    Most likely because even if we would achieve magical 80% vaccine uptake there still will be outbreaks and cases detected and they will be blamed on 20% who could not or did not wanted to take them.

Even if only 80% ever get vaccinated, and the vaccine has zero effect on transmission (highly unlikely that it has no effect), then once the population is mostly vaccinated and mostly there are no longer the same numbers getting seriously ill we'll still be able to begin coming out of the restrictions.

Any lockdowns are not for the purpose of saving everyone and irradicating the virus. All that is being attempted at the moment is making sure that health services are not overrun from being able to deal with someone breaking their leg or having a heart attack. Trying to rid the world of the virus is way down the list of priorities at the moment, it's purely about getting the numbers down to manageable levels so that normal activity can resume.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Even if only 80% ever get vaccinated, and the vaccine has zero effect on transmission (highly unlikely that it has no effect), then once the population is mostly vaccinated and mostly there are no longer the same numbers getting seriously ill we'll still be able to begin coming out of the restrictions.

Any lockdowns are not for the purpose of saving everyone and irradicating the virus. All that is being attempted at the moment is making sure that health services are not overrun from being able to deal with someone breaking their leg or having a heart attack. Trying to rid the world of the virus is way down the list of priorities at the moment, it's purely about getting the numbers down to manageable levels so that normal activity can resume.

I see logic in what you are saying but I am afraid reality will be different.
    Health services will be overrun instantly by non-covid problems of which there are many and which were essentially pushed away for nearly a year the very second they try to resume normal service. It was actually overrun and on the brink of collapse up until covid came.
    I doubt we were able to cope with even some nasty flu strain if that would come instead of covid. Last year this time most of our hospitals were closed to visitors due to various outbreaks - mostly flu or winter vomiting bug...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

A vaccine that changes mRNA will effect fertility

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

johnmck wrote: »

Good job that isn't true then guess:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/54893437

Lol. What's mRNA? What part of your mRNA controls fertility?

Hilarious stuff, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Good thing we added plenty of spare mRNA just in case one if them changes, eh?

astrofool wrote: »
    Good thing we added plenty of spare mRNA just in case one if them changes, eh?

Hope the mRNA on the little tadpoles stays healthy after the jibjab

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2002/09/sperm-spills-its-rna-secret

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hope the mRNA on the little tadpoles stays healthy after the jibjab

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2002/09/sperm-spills-its-rna-secret

Aha, so you think an mRNA based vaccine would attack the RNA in sperm cells?
    Intriguing.
    Could you elaborate a little on how that would happen please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I got the vaccine yesterday. Thrilled. I read all the information provided and it never occurred to me to give in to fear mongering and not take it.

I got the vaccine yesterday. Thrilled. I read all the information provided and it never occurred to me to give in to fear mongering and not take it.

Good for you, and let's cross our fingers you get no adverse side effects

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stop scaremongering. Any more nonsense and I will threadban you

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Stop scaremongering. Any more nonsense and I will threadban you

Scaremongering, the spreading of frightening or ominous reports or rumours.

What's frightening about what I said? You must know that the vaccine won't do what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

What's frightening about what I said? You must know that the vaccine won't do what I said.

You could be hit by lightening tomorrow.

See what I did there? I offered no objective proof that something could happen (and it potentially could happen) and used it to try put a fear in you that there's a reasonable chance it will happen. It's unfounded what I'm claiming.
    Which is exactly that same what you're implying about mRNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My brother in the UK just told me 2 of his wife's co workers(nurses) who had the vaccine before Christmas have now caught covid, they were told its only 70% effective until second one, haven't heard this here or did i miss it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not post in this thread again

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My brother in the UK just told me 2 of his wife's co workers(nurses) who had the vaccine before Christmas have now caught covid, they were told its only 70% effective until second one, haven't heard this here or did i miss it?

Thats fairly well known. Even with 2nd dose it's 95% effective so still a chance you could get it.

Got my first dose at the weekend, really impressed with how the system worked.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Thats fairly well known. Even with 2nd dose it's 95% effective so still a chance you could get it.

Got my first dose at the weekend, really impressed with how the system worked.

They don't stop you getting it (transmission effect research not concluded)- they stop the virus giving you the disease and subsequent associated issues.

They don't stop you getting it (transmission effect research not concluded)- they stop the virus giving you the disease and subsequent associated issues.

Correct, sorry didnt explain that myself.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Correct, sorry didnt explain that myself.

No prob, just wanted to clarify as I have seen a few people saying it blocks you getting it. It's an important distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It not being fully proven to prevent transmission is not the same as saying it doesn't. In all likelihood it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I see the infection rate of those who are vaccinated reduce to 5-10% of those unvaccinated I will take it. Otherwise I'm not going to take any risks from an emergency issued vaccine unless I see it works.

Advertisement