Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I reckon 90% of the people on this thread that said they wouldn't get vaccinated have quietly changed their minds since it was started.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I reckon 90% of the people on this thread that said they wouldn't get vaccinated have quietly changed their minds since it was started.

I was all set to get it at the start but now it looks like even with a vaccine you can't escape this country over the summer , so why get a vaccine now when it looks pretty much like i'll have to get another one for all the variants in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

Minier81 wrote: »
    Totally agree, and I have been vaccinated. It also unfair, I don't see how the can ease restrictions for vaccinated only people until all have been offered the chance to get a vaccine.

I'll be one of the last to get a vaccine, but I don't mind if they start opening things up for vaccinated people and get the economy moving again.
    Anything that will help to reduce the future financial burden of all this for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's funny how many people complain about it not being fair like they're some kind of baby who didn't get a sweet, life isn't fair, and everybody will be offered eventually, you're lucky you're in a group that has a very low chance of having complications due to COVID-19, let those vaccinated start getting on with life as they've been cocooning due to fear of death for almost 12 months, or been working on the frontline dealing with sick people and death. Everyone sensible will be in the vaccine group a few weeks later.

If you're offered a vaccine, grow up and take it, it will enable future holidays for yourself and everyone else and be 1 step closer to moving the world beyond the pandemic. Booster shots may not be needed at all.

astrofool wrote: »
    It's funny how many people complain about it not being fair like they're some kind of baby who didn't get a sweet, life isn't fair, and everybody will be offered eventually, you're lucky you're in a group that has a very low chance of having complications due to COVID-19, let those vaccinated start getting on with life as they've been cocooning due to fear of death for almost 12 months, or been working on the frontline dealing with sick people and death. Everyone sensible will be in the vaccine group a few weeks later.

If you're offered a vaccine, grow up and take it, it will enable future holidays for yourself and everyone else and be 1 step closer to moving the world beyond the pandemic. Booster shots may not be needed at all.

Can you really see a world where H&S and the fear of litigation will allow us to go back to normal.

• Advertisement

Can you really see a world where H&S and the fear of litigation will allow us to go back to normal.

Yes, only a fool would see otherwise.

Yes, only a fool would see otherwise.

Tell that to the kids who can't bring nuts to school in case someone MAY have a reaction. 0.6% of the child population have a severe reaction to nuts, way lower than the covid death rate so even a fool can see where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tell that to the kids who can't bring nuts to school in case someone MAY have a reaction. 0.6% of the child population have a severe reaction to nuts, way lower than the covid death rate so even a fool can see where this is going.
    When anaphylaxis becomes contagious you may have a point.

If there was a vaccine for nut allergy, people would take it and kids would take in nuts again.

Now, why you're bringing up nuts, only you know, but most schools allow nuts, but don't allow nuts in the classrooms with kids that have a declared allergy, which sounds pretty sensible. Given the average class size is 30-35, about 1 in 3 classrooms won't allow nuts.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭jackryan34

They are all only emergency approval right now which isn't fully approved

I'll take my chances until they are fully approved

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jackryan34 wrote: »
    They are all only emergency approval right now which isn't fully approved

I'll take my chances until they are fully approved

How many million people over how long a time period would be involved in your "fully approved" study?

robinph wrote: »
    How many million people over how long a time period would be involved in your "fully approved" study?

3-4 years like any normal treatment, 2023 probably

If I was 74 I would take no questions asked, I had Covid in Jan and had no symptoms

Am I wrong to wait till side effects become known effects and its fully approved?

3-4 years like any normal treatment, 2023 probably

If I was 74 I would take no questions asked, I had Covid in Jan and had no symptoms

Am I wrong to wait till side effects become known effects and its fully approved?

Yes you are, side effects are known, the vaccines will have been used in many millions of people before you.

Yes you are, side effects are known, the vaccines will have been used in many millions of people before you.

I don't want any side effects.

I had no symptoms from Covid, why would I risk side effects and they are not known btw, they've only been in use for a few months

Because millions have used them recently and they haven't died they are safe?

What logic is that?

Millons fall down the stairs and don't die either, is that safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I had no symptoms from Covid, why would I risk side effects and they are not known btw, they've only been in use for a few months

What logic is that?

You don't vaccinate for yourself if you aren't at risk, you vaccinate to protect other people.

Vaccines are safe because the numbers say so. You are massively less at risk from the vaccine than you are from covid itself. This goes for pretty much all vaccines.

You don't vaccinate for yourself if you aren't at risk, you vaccinate to protect other people.

Vaccines are safe because the numbers say so. You are massively less at risk from the vaccine than you are from covid itself. This goes for pretty much all vaccines.

My parents are the only at risk and they are getting the vaccine which protects, my wife had 2 shots of Pfizer.

Are they really?

1 in 1000 have facial drooping from Pfizer vaccine

I'll take my chances with natural infections. Won't post here anymore, can see how this is going

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

My parents are the only at risk and they are getting the vaccine which protects, my wife had 2 shots of Pfizer.

Are they really?

I'll take my chances with natural infections. Won't post here anymore, can see how this is going

1 in a 1000 get facial drooping? Can you post a link to this fact please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

tom1ie wrote: »

3 in 10,000 is a normal rate of Bells Palsy in the community in any given year.

4 from 19,000 in the trial got Bells Palsy in about 6 months after the vaccine.

1 in a 1,000 is bull.

While the rate in the trial group is higher than the population rate the sample isn't big enough slightly for it to be conclusive in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

It’s actually more like 1 in 10,000 people showed Bell’s palsy symptoms in the Pfizer vaccine trail.
    There is no link that the vaccine caused these symptoms as this isn’t anymore than would be expected in a normal sample of 38,000 people.

https://fullfact.org/online/bells-palsy-vaccine-trial/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It’s actually more like 1 in 10,000 people showed Bell’s palsy symptoms in the Pfizer vaccine trail.
    There is no link that the vaccine caused these symptoms as this isn’t anymore than would be expected in a normal sample of 38,000 people.

https://fullfact.org/online/bells-palsy-vaccine-trial/

The 38,000 included placebo recipients. It's really 19,000 I think.

• Advertisement

Are they really?

I'll take my chances with natural infections. Won't post here anymore, can see how this is going feel like a bit of a tool now so I'm backing away from people armed with facts. Please allow me to leave the discussion with some pride intact.
    Better...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

You really need to have a look at the MSDS sheets for various vaccines. All vaccines carry a certain risk! Some more than others. Long term effects of these Covid vaccines remain to be seen. Colleague went out cold/semi coma for 3 days last year days, from an 80 year old, proven safe vaccine, yellow fever.

"You don't vaccinate for yourself if you aren't at risk, you vaccinate to protect other people." WOW, Personally have only taken any vaccine to protect myself, have had more than the average for someone my age.

Sill the same, will not be taking any of these vaccines for a virus that has negligible chance of doing me harm.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What logic is that?

So you take no drugs or any other medical procedure then I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

endacl wrote: »
    Just home from my 1st dose of AZ.

I’m right and you’re wrong. I won’t bother my hole trying to explain why. Reason didn’t lead you to your position, and reason can’t lead you out.

You are arrogance personified. You have no idea what my reasoning is.

But if you want to be a guinea pig then go for it!

moonage wrote: »
    You are arrogance personified. You have no idea what my reasoning is.

But if you want to be a guinea pig then go for it!

Hmmmmm...
    moonage wrote: »
    The number of "cases" and deaths would be naturally falling anyway, as we come out of the colder months.

Yet all the credit is given to the vaccine rollout!

I certainly won't be taking one of these risky, undertested, experimental treatments. For me, the risk is huge and the potential benefit tiny.

Ah.

323 wrote: »
    You really need to have a look at the MSDS sheets for various vaccines. All vaccines carry a certain risk! Some more than others. Long term effects of these Covid vaccines remain to be seen. Colleague went out cold/semi coma for 3 days last year days, from an 80 year old, proven safe vaccine, yellow fever.

"You don't vaccinate for yourself if you aren't at risk, you vaccinate to protect other people." WOW, Personally have only taken any vaccine to protect myself, have had more than the average for someone my age.

Sill the same, will not be taking any of these vaccines for a virus that has negligible chance of doing me harm.

See highlight in bold, I was specifically talking about vaccinations for people who are considered not at risk, though of course you wont find that out until you catch it.

All medicine has a certain level of risk, it is far far below that of contracting that which it protects against. In rare cases a vaccine can have very serious side effects, but again this is far far less than the actual disease itself.

With infectious diseases the more they are allowed spread the more they can mutate. Given that the current vaccines tank the transmission rate it increases the importance of widespread vaccination.

Its your choice to not get vaccinated, just ensure it is an informed choice.

Its important to not look at the information in isolation.

The paralysis is thought to be due to the immune system response(specifically an inflammatory response) and is temporary. Facial paralysis is also found in covid patients (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7531061/), again due to the immune system response. Is your own immune system reacting to the disease that causes it. Ergo people that suffered temporary drooping from the vaccine are likely to have suffered a lot more serious paralysis from the actual disease.

The Pfizer vaccine issues with drooping have all shown to be temporary, the covid paralysis issues seem to not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Both those studies say that in rare cases that may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people could have temporary one sided facial drooping.

You're more likely to get temporary one sided facial drooping with a filling.

• Advertisement

Poster seems confused about how these statistics work. Up to 1/1000 is an upper limit, with a generous margin, and is essentially meaningless. It suggests a maximum potential incidence of 1/1000. Not a 1/1000 risk. The lower limit is zero. If nobody shows signs of facial drooping, the limit of 'up to 1/1000' is still fulfilled.

For example, Israel has administered over 3m Pfizer vaccines. Have 3000 cases of facial drooping, beyond would normally be expected in a randomly selected sample of the Israeli population been recorded? No, it hasn't. And a sample size of 'pretty much everybody' is hard to argue with.

They're not refusing the vaccine because of potential risk. They're refusing because they don't understand how that potential risk is expressed. *

* I may of course be wrong. Poster in question may well be a professional statistician. I can only work with the information provided. **

** Which is how I have no problem understanding what was actually written in the document.

Advertisement