Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving Master Internet Socket

• 24-11-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

This has probably popped up a few times, but how would it be best to have my Eir Master Internet socket moved?

I need to connect through ethernet for work and so need the modem moved to a bedroom.

I've rang Eir and they said they won't do it.

Is it possible to have an electrician add an additional socket, or move the one I currently have?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't really need to move the "master" socket. This is the phone line where it enters the property.

An electrician can extend this up to a bedroom (used to be very common for people who wanted a second phone in the house), but then you'll have a modem in the bedroom.

What you want is an electrician who will wire up ethernet sockets in the bedroom and beside the phone line. These can be connected directly or via an intermediate board - a patch panel - usually hidden in a cupboard or in a corner somewhere. The advantage of the intermediate board is that adding ethernet ports to other rooms later on is easier.

That said, you probably don't need to connect via ethernet for work, there's probably a way to make wireless work better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just run an ethernet cable up to the desk upstairs from the rear of the EIR box downstairs. Keep it simple keep cost down. The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Stewie_Aa1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

This has probably popped up a few times, but how would it be best to have my Eir Master Internet socket moved?

I need to connect through ethernet for work and so need the modem moved to a bedroom.

I've rang Eir and they said they won't do it.

Is it possible to have an electrician add an additional socket, or move the one I currently have?

Thanks in advance

Electricians are not supposed to move the master socket, it is owned by eircom and forms part of their network.

I would first try a Powerline solution, as suggested by ED E, below. Once they're plugged in directly to wall sockets, as against using an extension cable, they generally give good results. If you must use a wired connection, the simplest option is to use a long pre-terminated telephone extension lead. They're widely available and inexpensive. It's very straightforward and you could do it yourself. The cable is light, so easily hidden.

I assume you're still using a landline/telephone.
    If so it's likely that you have a splitter plugged into the master socket, with outlets for phone and broadband .
    If so, you plug the extension lead into the broadband socket, and into the modem upstairs. If you don't have a landline you don't need a splitter, so the cable can be plugged directly into the master socket.

If you do decide to get a socket installed in the bedroom make sure that the person doing it understands what is required. If the wrong type of cable is used, or it is wired incorrectly, it will cause a substantial drop in broadband speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Powerline adapters sound like a much more user friendly solution here folks unless theres a reason why they won't work (plausible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ED E wrote: »
    Powerline adapters sound like a much more user friendly solution here folks unless theres a reason why they won't work (plausible).

Power line adapters are prone to electrical interference.
    Electrical cables are not designed to carry phone/date.

Best to invest in a mesh system.

Get one from Argos, you'll have 30 days to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

ED E wrote: »

I agree, they would be my first port of call too. That's assuming that the employer has a policy against wifi being used. (Some still do.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mikeecho wrote: »
    Power line adapters are prone to electrical interference.
    Electrical cables are not designed to carry phone/date.

Best to invest in a mesh system.

Get one from Argos, you'll have 30 days to try it out.

I work with at scale networks, my home desktop is connected via Powerline. Powerline are fine in the vast majority of homes. Large inductive loads can be an issue but most homes do not have a problem. Its a bodge, but one that works.

A mesh system to get the OP fixed line (probably for Apple WFH or similar) is total overkill. Why spend €300 when €50 will do? Mind boggles on here sometimes.

Advertisement