Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lock you can get for gate

Options
  • 24-11-2020 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

is there any lock you can get for gate that can be on a timer to unlock at a certain time. It is for someone elderly who lives alone and people have been in their yard at 3 am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

is there any lock you can get for gate that can be on a timer to unlock at a certain time. It is for someone elderly who lives alone and people have been in their yard at 3 am

Yes you could get an electronic lock, a suitable powers supply for it and have the electricity going to it controlled by a time clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

kub wrote: »
    Yes you could get an electronic lock, a suitable powers supply for it and have the electricity going to it controlled by a time clock.
    What would it cost to buy/ have fitted?

I was reading about battery powered locks have you any experience of these? They are controlled with smart phone. As well as security she could open from car when arriving home

What would it cost to buy/ have fitted?

I was reading about battery powered locks have you any experience of these? They are controlled with smart phone. As well as security she could open from car when arriving home

There is probably the guts of € 200 there.

No the only experience I have of battery powered locks were ones on a commercial access control system which were later withdrawn from the market by the manufacturer because they were eating batteries.

I would not have much confidence in battery powered locks unless of course one was prepared to replace the batteries constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you have a remotely operated lock she will still have to get out of the car open the gate, back to car and drive in then get out to close gate.

Might be better to go all the way and install electric gates.

For extra security you could add an electric lock.

elperello wrote: »
    If you have a remotely operated lock she will still have to get out of the car open the gate, back to car and drive in then get out to close gate.

Might be better to go all the way and install electric gates.

For extra security you could add an electric lock.
    Too expensive plus digging up drive for cables

• Advertisement

There is probably the guts of € 200 there.

200 for the elecronic lock? but then the wiring would need to be buried

200 for the elecronic lock? but then the wiring would need to be buried

No.

The € 200 is for the lock, power supply and time clock.

Sorry was your earlier query relating to the cost of the equipment ?

That stuff just came into my mind in response to your opening post.

I would agree with the poster that suggested automatic gates

No.

The € 200 is for the lock, power supply and time clock.

Sorry was your earlier query relating to the cost of the equipment ?

That stuff just came into my mind in response to your opening post.

I would agree with the poster that suggested automatic gates
    It's Ok my question were changing as i read more! 200 would be OK but it would hav eto be wired back to the house for power? Would that mean digging?

It's Ok my question were changing as i read more! 200 would be OK but it would hav eto be wired back to the house for power? Would that mean digging?

More than likely, no matter what if you need an electronic solution here then cables will be necessary.

Is a mechanical lock an option?

More than likely, no matter what if you need an electronic solution here then cables will be necessary.

Is a mechanical lock an option?
    like https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Mechanical-Gate-Locks.html..it might be if it had timer

• Advertisement
Advertisement