Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recumbent bicycles

Options
  • 25-11-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

I did a search and it's something that seems to come up periodically but can't see any threads from the last few years...

So does anyone ride a recumbent bicycle? Or have any experience of one? I'm thinking of investing in one for touring but I'm a bit anxious to take the plunge since I've never actually had the chance to ride one.

I know they look ridiculous and aren't best suited to city commutes but I want something for 200-300km days out in the countryside. Seems like a recumbent tourer would be hard to beat?

Though that raises the question of where to actually buy one?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd love to try one, but they seem very expensive.
    someone posted a pic of theirs recently in the 'photos taken on your cycle' thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114948891&postcount=6013
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114953304&postcount=6019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

They're definitely not cheap but I've seen a few frame kits online that seem like reasonable money (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VeloMotion-Scopa-brand-new-recumbent-bicycle-frame-set-kit-road-audax-gravel/122994988975?hash=item1ca31297af:g:UCUAAOSwk-damB4V).

I don't see the appeal of the recumbent trikes though. From what I've read they seem to be slower than the two wheel versions and just seem like an awful lot more hassle being wider (would probably struggle to get one into my little terrace house, couldn't bring it on a train etc).

I've read some people say the trikes climb a bit better than the bikes but I can get up and down all the climbs in Wicklow on the cargobike so I can't imagine a recumbent bike would struggle and I'm not planning to relocate to Colorado or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Look up Velo 1 on Strava , he uses his fared (?) version for Audax and it really moves....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I had one for a couple of years. Bought it in Holland, when I liven in Brussels, then took it home.

On the flat, you're king of the road. Eyes forward, hands comfy, big fat armchair seat. Never had any issue with being seen.

On the uphill, I struggled. After a long day in Kerry, with Baleach Oisin Pass as a highlight, I realised that not being able to get out of the saddle was a deal-breaker for me...and I sold it on. If you plan to tour on reasonably ground (e.g. the EVs in Europe) then a recumbent would be magic. Ireland, with its many short 10%+ ramps, less so. There's a review of the Wild Atlantic Way race/sportif by an american guy who rode a 'bent, and he suffered big time.

I had little trouble learning to ride a 2-wheeler. I think the trikes look cool, but they do have down-sides, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

There’s a scene from the movie burn after reading that jumps into my head ever time I hear recumbent bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I got a Challenge Hurricane recumbent, stuck an electric motor on the bottom bracket, slung a battery over the rear pannier... all problems went away and is the most comfy tourer I have ever owned, great uphills and blisteringly fast on the straights... Range of around 100 miles.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I got a Challenge Hurricane recumbent, stuck an electric motor on the bottom bracket, slung a battery over the rear pannier... all problems went away and is the most comfy tourer I have ever owned, great uphills and blisteringly fast on the straights... Range of around 100 miles.

Where'd you buy it and do you mind me asking what sort of money it was?

brownian wrote: »
    I had one for a couple of years. Bought it in Holland, when I liven in Brussels, then took it home.

On the flat, you're king of the road. Eyes forward, hands comfy, big fat armchair seat. Never had any issue with being seen.

On the uphill, I struggled. After a long day in Kerry, with Baleach Oisin Pass as a highlight, I realised that not being able to get out of the saddle was a deal-breaker for me...and I sold it on. If you plan to tour on reasonably ground (e.g. the EVs in Europe) then a recumbent would be magic. Ireland, with its many short 10%+ ramps, less so. There's a review of the Wild Atlantic Way race/sportif by an american guy who rode a 'bent, and he suffered big time.

I had little trouble learning to ride a 2-wheeler. I think the trikes look cool, but they do have down-sides, I guess.

The issue of hills is a cause for concern but is it really that bad? I'm out of the saddle quite a bit on my road bike because it's fast and whippy and fun to ride it like that. However on my cargobike or fully loaded touring bike I generally stay in the saddle and just spin a very low gear and often find myself overtaking people on much lighter bikes. Surely the same approach could be applied to a recumbent but with the added advantage that I might occasionally overtake people on the flat/downhill too?

Where'd you buy it and do you mind me asking what sort of money it was?

I got it second hand for around £350, from the UK, I was over there at the time with the car so I picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Thud

is visibility an issue on these, eg getting hidden behind ditches on bends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

This is me...

The trike is very easy to cycle uphill, albeit a little slower than a DF bike. But, I find I’m as fast, if not faster than a lot of roadies on the flat and down hill. Personally, I would never go back to a ‘normal’ bike. On the visibility front, I’ve found that drivers will give me a lot more room than they ever did when I was on the bike. I use a big hi-vis flag when I’m out on the road, as well as the usual lights.
    The trike is not as wide as you would think. Mine is on the wider side and is only 80cm edge to edge of the front wheels. It also has a flat folding system where by the rear wheel folds flat between the front wheels for easy transport and storage.

Feel free to ask any questions, and if you’re ever down Waterford way, you’re more than welcome to come have a look and a test ride. Already had one Boardsie from this forum come and try it out. :)

i'd love to try one, but they seem very expensive.
    someone posted a pic of theirs recently in the 'photos taken on your cycle' thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114948891&postcount=6013
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114953304&postcount=6019

Gwildor wrote: »
    This is me...

The trike is very easy to cycle uphill, albeit a little slower than a DF bike. But, I find I’m as fast, if not faster than a lot of roadies on the flat and down hill. Personally, I would never go back to a ‘normal’ bike. On the visibility front, I’ve found that drivers will give me a lot more room than they ever did when I was on the bike. I use a big hi-vis flag when I’m out on the road, as well as the usual lights.
    The trike is not as wide as you would think. Mine is on the wider side and is only 80cm edge to edge of the front wheels. It also has a flat folding system where by the rear wheel folds flat between the front wheels for easy transport and storage.

Feel free to ask any questions, and if you’re ever down Waterford way, you’re more than welcome to come have a look and a test ride. Already had one Boardsie from this forum come and try it out. :)

I am also in Waterford!

I do find sometimes the being lower is a problem at roundabouts with cars and pedestrians etc. But I have fitted an air horn to the bike and that seems to do the job...

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I am also in Waterford!

Sweet... If you’re ever up for a spin I’d love to have a look at your trike!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was thinking of buying a Windcheetah once but ultimately it did seem a bit more trouble than a standard bike for storage and locking in public (possibly an erroneous assumption on my part, as I never tried it out).

I liked bikesnobnyc's description of the basic method of riding one being reminiscent of someone fending off an eagle with their legs

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

I saw a fared recumbent at an event in the UK years ago and thought it was the coolest thing on the road. Later, when I found my hands getting numb after long rides on my upright bikes, I decided I should go recumbent. From all I'd seen and heard, the bikes from https://en.velomobiel.nl/ were the ones to choose between. I bought a Quest online without ever trying it out, or even talking to an owner. I know, dear reader, you may be thinking I had more money than sense, but I can confirm that having bought it, I now have more sense than money! It has been brilliant in lots of ways.

I agree with most of what's been said in the thread already, even where the OP says 'they look ridiculous'. However, one man's ridiculous is a proud owner's coolest on the road. To my shock, it turns out I'm something of an exhibitionist, so it is perfect for me.

As a rider, the first benefit I noticed was a complete lack of snot. Previously I'd left a trail from one end of the country to the other. That's now in my past. As is the cold; two or three layers is enough for even the coldest day. But beware, those once-handy-pockets, at the back of a cycling jersey, become a nuisance in your armchair ride. And you can change out of those 'ridiculous' cycling shorts with their padding in the wrong place.

Seated weight is distributed over a much greater area, hence it is many, many times, more comfortable, esp if you are out all day. Riding through the night, just pull into the nearest gateway, unclip from the pedals and you are in the perfect snoozing or dining position. While it can get really warm in hot sun on long climbs - and every climb is a long one for me - I've never passed out.
    The brochures say that cyclists cruise about 30 kmh on a diamond frame and about 40 on a fared 'bent, which seems about right. Fairing minimises wind resistance; you're four times more aero efficient, so the sky - and courage - is the limit on descents. Long flattish events are easier and faster. I felt pretty nifty on The Connacht SR series, a 200, 300, 400 and 600 km over six days. Climbier events like the Mick Byrne 200 km are just about manageable. I'd like another crack at long hilly events like LEL (1400 km) and PBP (1200 km) where I've failed. There was a painfully slow End to End this year which I've been trying to forget. Though, it may have been a record time - for a faired recumbent. Low down, headwinds are hardly an issue, and even howling side winds tend to be more fun than danger.

There's lots of storage room. The bike seems to have better braking and is a lot more stable with its two front wheels. Again, sitting so low, it is easy to hit potholes or small debris, and the fairing extending over the front wheels make sharp turns impractical. It's never a problem on roads, but for sharpies, or missed turns, dismount, pick up the 30 kilos and face it round.

You can repair punctures without undoing wheels because they are like a car. Just tip the bike on its side on some grass. I ride a triple so there's plenty of gears. Change the drive every few hundred thousand kilometres - apparently because grit doesn't get on the chain. It won't fit in the local bike shop, so I get the nice man to call around once or twice a year. I've He's changed the drum brakes at about 80k km. It is really easy to get caught in the wrong gear, so you've to get out an push. Don't make the terminal mistake of changing gears while you pedal backways. :mad:

The bike gets stopped so often (nine times on an 80 km ride) by the guards, it totally wishes they a) got a life or b) weren't bored to tears at night. Overheard phone conversation near Maam Cross after midnight last summer "Superintendent, you'll have to come out here yourself. Jaysus, it is very hard to describe. It looks like a submarine, but he says it's a bike". Safe to say that Garda, though he couldn't have been nicer, came from neither a seafaring nor cycling tradition. Super drove out from the station in Clifden, bless her little soul. FFS everyone knows submarines is yellow :rolleyes:

Whilst people will tell you, even though they've scarcely seen a 'bent much less ridden one, that they are very dangerous, I find it works out a lot better for me. A fraction of the near misses. By the way, the fairing is carbon fibre, and would perform like an eggshell in a crash. An odd person will hurl abuse, but every road user meets odd people. Motorists give me far more room, are way more considerate and people generally are a great deal friendlier. Other cyclists? Well, who cares what cyclists think :p.

It doesn't fit in the 'bike shed' and I'd have to take it apart to get it into the kitchen, so it is stowed outdoors. Fits neatly in my VW Crafter when I can't start from home. With a little help, it could work on a car roof rack. In these respects, it is not at all handy.

As I pedal, my natural position is head up, so I see more and interact more with other road users and onlookers. The cockpit 'rumbles', so conversation is minimal. Children and smartphone photographers are among the groups that love to see it.

I got a racehood last year to keep the rain off and be even more stable at high speed. Looking ever-more ridiculous, or cooler, depending on your standpoint. I still take the upright bikes out but they're not as much fun. I'm told they retain their value second-hand. Best investment ever, even if I also got a lot of fun riding upright. It was just right for me, but I can see it mightn't work for all.

Brilliant post, RV. I didn’t think there were many bent riders here in Ireland, never mind fully faired riders! Would love to have bent rider meets here like they do in the UK...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a slightly unfortunate contraction!

:D

It’s very common vernacular in the bent community...
    that's a slightly unfortunate contraction!

Advertisement