Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilfra Svart Grinder

• 25-11-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I currently have a 50 euro Krups burr grinder which I mainly use for aeropress and v60. I'm considering buying the Wilfa Svart CGWS-130B on black friday if their are any deals going. Is it worth upgrading? Anyone have any experience with the Svart?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just ordered the Wilfa Svart Nymalt - the slightly cheaper model but by all accounts they are the same except the motor on the aroma has a slower speed motor which is apparently better. I'll live with the Nymalt for now (and prefer teh silver!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

This is a good idea for a grinder.
    Burr grinders are needed for wholebean coffees.

I fancy Sage Pro Grinder, but for £200 is too much atm.
    So I might purchase a Wilfa Svart grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

Just ordered the Wilfa Svart Nymalt - the slightly cheaper model but by all accounts they are the same except the motor on the aroma has a slower speed motor which is apparently better. I'll live with the Nymalt for now (and prefer teh silver!) :D

I actually might end up getting this version, wasn't really sure what was the difference was apart from the colour. Just unsure how much of a performance improvement that I will get compared to the Krups machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

The Haven wrote: »
    This is a good idea for a grinder.
    Burr grinders are needed for wholebean coffees.

I fancy Sage Pro Grinder, but for £200 is too much atm.
    So I might purchase a Wilfa Svart grinder.

All the review of it online are good as long as you are not using it for espresso.

All the review of it online are good as long as you are not using it for espresso.

This. If you are using it for espresso you'll need something better but by all account for filter it's very passable.

Bell Lane have the Nymalt in a very good bundle deal with a bag of single origin coffee and a nice tote bag for €105

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

As others have mentioned, if you're only doing filter coffees then the Svart is a decent grinder for its price range, but it's a no go for espresso. Can't really recommend anything else in that price range, the Baratza Encore is much the same as the Svart by all accounts. Either or I would say.

So my order for the Nymalt was cancelled as they were out of stock :-(

I took the plunge on the Uniform instead which is a big step up but figure it's an investment piece and will be able to manage espresso down the line if I want to mix things up. Reviews of it are really super so hopefully worth the extra money, and means I shouldn't have to upgrade for a long time! Plus, it looks absolutely gorgeous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I bought the Wilfa Silver from WCC as I was picking up some beans and their 10% off works on equipment also for this weekend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So my order for the Nymalt was cancelled as they were out of stock :-(

I took the plunge on the Uniform instead which is a big step up but figure it's an investment piece and will be able to manage espresso down the line if I want to mix things up. Reviews of it are really super so hopefully worth the extra money, and means I shouldn't have to upgrade for a long time! Plus, it looks absolutely gorgeous :D

Where did you order it from?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where did you order it from?

The Uniform? 3FE - coffee angel have it in stock too, but it's out of stock in a lot of places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah was looking at it a few weeks ago but was out of stock everywhere.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah was looking at it a few weeks ago but was out of stock everywhere.

Hoping it arrives and they are not out of stock - seems to be very common. I saw a video a Wilfa guy did showing the different extraction with fine and coarse grids produced under the same grind setting and it swung me on the Uniform.

People have very poor views on the scales, so I went for the silver version over the black (colour is also nicer imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Talguetler wrote: »
    I bought the Wilfa Silver from WCC as I was picking up some beans and their 10% off works on equipment also for this weekend.

Thanks for this heads up about the code offer.
    Jumped in and got the Wilfa Silver, with some beans.

Advertisement