Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are old fashioned dinners a thing of the past?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Sautéd, rissolé, dauphinoise, mashed (with lashings of butter and milk), fried mashed (with added onion and black pepper). Double yum! :pac:

Sauted, rissole and dauphinoise? Absolute notions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sautéd, rissolé, dauphinoise, mashed (with lashings of butter and milk), fried mashed (with added onion and black pepper). Double yum! :pac:

Did an extra jacket potato last Sunday. On Monday I sliced it and fried it, with a fried egg and black pudding. Outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I really don't like coddle or stew. Normally it's just tasteless slop.

Love a good Sunday roast but loathe bacon & cabbage. It remains me of my Sunday dinner in my grandmother's years ago where the bacon was cooked dry and the cabbage nearly stewed. We were almost forced to eat it so as not to be disrespectful. My dad is actually a pretty good cook other than when he replicates this childhood horror.

Smell, taste, texture, has put me off it for life.

If it is tasteless slop then you are doing it wrong, I put chopped carrots, potatoes, onions, rasher & sausages into the slow cooker. I add plenty of chicken stock, pepper & aromat. Put on high for 4 hours & it tastes great with fresh bread rolls & butter. It is far from tasteless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Coddle is absolutely disgusting to look at - those pale boiled sausages looking like a meagre old penis poking up through a sickly coloured broth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Coddle is absolutely disgusting to look at - those pale boiled sausages looking like a meagre old penis poking up through a sickly coloured broth.

Never had Weisswurst, Angus? Fairly popular in your neck of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

trashcan wrote: »
    Did an extra jacket potato last Sunday. On Monday I sliced it and fried it, with a fried egg and black pudding. Outstanding.

Ah stop. :mad: Can't get daycent black (or white) pudding here in France. :(

Shepherd's pie tonight. Is that traditional enough for this thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Kylta wrote: »
    Do people still do a sunday dinner, consisting of ham, roast, potatoes, cabbage?
    Do people still do stews?
    Do people still do coddles?

These days with most children, especially teenagers, not wanting this and only eating that, and people becoming vegans and vegetarians, people cutting down of different foods due to medical conditions etc.

So what's your opinion, if you refuse to answer, you'll get yesterdays leftover cabbage and potatoes for your dinner.

I'm in my early 20's and I'd bite your arm off for a Sunday roast or bacon and cabbage. Love the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Have a pot of stew seething. Will crack open a Beamish once it's finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

I'm still making chips

They must go way back here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

jim o doom wrote: »
    That looks epic, is there bacon in there as well? I have a meat mincer but I don't have a sausage machine.. yet..

no all pork.. caramalised onion and garlic, plenty of mixed herbs..

Next time I'm thinking of adding wholegrain mustard and apple as well...

In fairness its a bit of a luxury to have but herself and the kids knew I'd been looking at it online and got it for my birthday.. We're getting better at it very time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

_Brian wrote: »
    no all pork.. caramalised onion and garlic, plenty of mixed herbs..

Next time I'm thinking of adding wholegrain mustard and apple as well...

In fairness its a bit of a luxury to have but herself and the kids knew I'd been looking at it online and got it for my birthday.. We're getting better at it very time..

How fast can you tie a sausage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

dubstarr wrote: »
    No you really think being forced to eat food you genuinely dont like is a good thing.

And eating at different times,well sometimes thats just what happens.

It's obviously not being "forced", it's sustenance and with no other choice you'll be grateful for it and eat it

PsychoPete wrote: »
    How fast can you tie a sausage?

Not fast at all.

Barry John would be bitterly disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

You can travel all over the world but you won’t find much better than a few slices of bread with lashings of butter. Breakfast, lunch, dinner or even snacks in between nothing better than a few slices of bread and butter and a pot of hot tea or coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Throw in a few cream crackers with lashings of butter, with a hot pot of coffee no milk. You can’t go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

jim o doom wrote: »
    Weirdly I was a super picky kid and my parents coddled me (hah!) letting me eat what I wanted, and now as an adult I can and will eat almost anything, including everything I hated as a child.. well except maybe most mushrooms.

Same for me, in terms of childhood and now. I think being forced to eat stuff I hated might have just put me off it altogether in later life.

You can travel all over the world but you won’t find much better than a few slices of bread with lashings of butter. Breakfast, lunch, dinner or even snacks in between nothing better than a few slices of bread and butter and a pot of hot tea or coffee.

Fresh homemade bread. Real butter. Strong tea.

We make bread maybe 4 times a week. All different types. Made in the oven if we have time or in the bread maker if we’re busy. Flour here comes in 16kg bags 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Coddle sounds like a horror show.

Bacon and cabbage on the other hand done right is unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Coddle is delicious. Some fresh Brennans with real butter and get stuck in. Feeling adventurous? Lob some ketchup in. Less so, drop of Worcestershire sauce.

Another old school cheap eat thats tasty, fried egg with mash with some onions mixed in.

Tripe is a step too far.

I have a roast every Sunday. Lamb being preference when in season. Don’t even consider pork as a roast. Poxy

Coddle is delicious. Some fresh Brennans with real butter and get stuck in. Feeling adventurous? Lob some ketchup in. Less so, drop of Worcestershire sauce.

Another old school cheap eat thats tasty, fried egg with mash with some onions mixed in.

Tripe is a step too far.

I have a roast every Sunday. Lamb being preference when in season. Don’t even consider pork as a roast. Poxy

Pork and bacon that’s commercially produced sadly lacks flavour and texture. We’re lucky and can rear our own. They are out rooting abkut in the earth and get only minimum meal. They are killed at 9-10 months rather than 3-4 in commercial units. It’s really shown me that what is a available commercially is only a pale copy of what it should be. Chicken suffers a similar fate being forced too quickly and so commercial chickens melt away during cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I am all for old style dinners but it is so difficult to get good servants now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can travel all over the world but you won’t find much better than a few slices of bread with lashings of butter.
    Throw in a few cream crackers with lashings of butter, with a hot pot of coffee no milk. You can’t go wrong.

Reminds of something I saw on Twitter this week;

"Bread is merely a vehicle for eating butter in a respectable manner"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't mind a bit of roast pork, some bramley apple sauce if i'm feeling sophisticated:D

But there is no more bland, pointless, tasteless shít piece of mate than a pork chop, i'll eat them begrudgingly if they are put in front of me, but i'd never consider cooking them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Same for me, in terms of childhood and now. I think being forced to eat stuff I hated might have just put me off it altogether in later life.

That's exactly what I think based on the experiences my wife and I had.

Once you get to adulthood and there's nobody forcing you to eat stuff you hate, like all your childhood, then you might only eat stuff you like.

On the other hand, having my picky diet pandered to as a kid - once I grew older, I started thinking to myself.. why DO I hate all this stuff? Gradually started eating things I didn't like on semi regular occasions, got used to their flavours, and then getting to a point that now I really enjoy them.. except mushrooms (although I can eat $hi-take mushrooms it thought the first half the word was a curse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ATC110 wrote: »
    It all went wrong when "eat what you're given" was replaced with asking and giving children what they want along with separate mealtimes for parents and children.

Regarding “eat what you’re given”: it depends.

If a child really doesn’t like something then what’s the point in giving it to them and making them eat it. If a child is generally happy to eat most things and tells you they really don’t like something, then don’t cook it for them.

Agree about the whole family eating together though

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Regarding “eat what you’re given”: it depends.

If a child really doesn’t like something then what’s the point in giving it to them and making them eat it. If a child is generally happy to eat most things and tells you they really don’t like something, then don’t cook it for them.

Agree about the whole family eating together though

Sure food is so cheap and abundant these days, with such great variety, that there really is no need to force kids to eat something they don't like.

It's a pointless hill to die on.

awec wrote: »
    Sure food is so cheap and abundant these days, with such great variety, that there really is no need to force kids to eat something they don't like.

It's a pointless hill to die on.

Completely pointless. Children’s tastebuds chnage and they view food differently. Small children tend to not like many colours and textures on the plate together so better to give them foods one at a time. If you introduce foods to them and they genuinely don’t like then take them at their word. It doesn’t mean giving them chips or Frosties every meal, but the “you’ll eat what I like” attitude is a silly battle to pick.

Bland boring dinner type. Good riddance i say.

A well cooked chicken dinner or stew is among the niced feeds you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've been vegetarian since the lockdown started, tbh I'd murder a coddle or a stew, or a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings

• Advertisement

I'm making a mild spiced rice and lentil dish and a creamy, coconutty chicken Korma for tonights dinner. The korma is in the slow cooker, and the house smells like heaven. I love the smell of cooking in the house on a cold day, it's a lovely homely thing. I appreciate that kind of thing more than ever, these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What is it with the way older folk boil the shít out of veg? Is it making sure it's cooked "properly" or lack of teeth?

What is it with the way older folk boil the shít out of veg? Is it making sure it's cooked "properly" or lack of teeth?

It comes from lack of cooking skills. You can’t go wrong with boiling. Zero skill needed and all you have to do is not undercook it. So people boil the shyte out of it.

Same with overcooking Turkey on Christmas. So many people can’t tell when it’s cooked by temperature or the actual skills of cooking, so they just leave it in the oven for an extra hour tobesuretobesure and make a balls of it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not like there was a ton of cook books or chefs on the telly back in the day telling them how to do it properly. People learnt to cook from their folks, including boiling stuff until it was devoid of all texture and taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A coddle is a rare, rare treat here. There's only one member of the (very) extended family who can make a good one. Might get a plate of it every two years.

It's only good if it has the barley in it too.

I tried once and ruined a saucepan, so that option does not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Talking about boiling the shyte out of veggies, actually cant stand food out of a slow cooker, mush and yuck. i have one in the press, i'll leave it till i am a gummy warrior, it'll make proper ould wans food. yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I love all these old foods. Haven't had a coddle in ages. Would love one. Salty goodness.

My dad makes a mean tripe. Nice and sweet. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I did a chicken stew there earlier on. You could also call the thing a 'chiken chassuer' but you add a bit of french language to it, it don't sound so 'old fashioned' but that's all the thing is, a old fashioned stew.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

sdanseo wrote: »
    A coddle is a rare, rare treat here. There's only one member of the (very) extended family who can make a good one. Might get a plate of it every two years.

It's only good if it has the barley in it too.

I tried once and ruined a saucepan, so that option does not exist.

How, in the name of the sweet, suffering, baby Jesus, did you ruin a saucepan making coddle?

awec wrote: »
    It's not like there was a ton of cook books or chefs on the telly back in the day telling them how to do it properly.

All In The Cooking - the only book you'll ever need. :cool:

Not too bad an introduction to the basics, in fact and as it happens, one of only two cookery books on my shelf. 1975 Edition, "inherited" from a girlfriend back in the day. (The other is the Petit Larousse de la Cuisine)

buried wrote: »
    I did a chicken stew there earlier on. You could also call the thing a 'chiken chassuer' but you add a bit of french language to it, it don't sound so 'old fashioned' but that's all the thing is, a old fashioned stew.

Foreign food can be old too. Nothing wrong with old food as long as the cooking method is good. Coddle could be a thousand years old or could be invented yesterday, the ingredients need to be browned to give additional flavour.

Boiling the shyte out of things might be a traditional Irish style, but it’s not a good way to cook.

I think a lot of people just like things the way they had it as a child regardless of how well it was actually cooked at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How, in the name of the sweet, suffering, baby Jesus, did you ruin a saucepan making coddle?
    Frying the rashers and sausages...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Frying the rashers and sausages...

:D Karma! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Foreign food can be old too. Nothing wrong with old food as long as the cooking method is good. Coddle could be a thousand years old or could be invented yesterday, the ingredients need to be browned to give additional flavour.

Boiling the shyte out of things might be a traditional Irish style, but it’s not a good way to cook.

I think a lot of people just like things the way they had it as a child regardless of how well it was actually cooked at the time.

Yeah, see I think both these two things are valid but from different contexts. I was raised as an infant by my grandmother, she cooked everything slow, all day every day, stews, bacon and cabbage, all that but it was done all slow all stewed and flavoursome. Delicious tack. But then I went to my parents house after they had spent a day at work they boiled everything to $hit just to get it done as quick as possible in the early 80's. It was desperate, but I don't think that was the 'traditional Irish' way of cooking everyone is on about. They had to cook that way because that was the only way they could. My grandmother had a far more way of 'traditional' way of cooking and it was far far better, but she had way way more time. That was the 'traditional' way of cooking, not what our usury dependent parents had to contend with in order to feed their families.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

All In The Cooking - the only book you'll ever need. :cool:

Not too bad an introduction to the basics, in fact and as it happens, one of only two cookery books on my shelf. 1975 Edition, "inherited" from a girlfriend back in the day. (The other is the Petit Larousse de la Cuisine)

Also, No Cook Books ?

FWIW

Elizabeth David was a prolific writer of cookery books in the 50s and 60s.

Katherine Whitethorn produced a long running best seller in the 60s

Delia Smith wrote a number of best seller cook books in the 70s

In addition there were many others such as Robert Carrier & Keith Floyd

buried wrote: »
    Yeah, see I think both these two things are valid but from different contexts. I was raised as an infant by my grandmother, she cooked everything slow, all day every day, stews, bacon and cabbage, all that but it was done all slow all stewed and flavoursome. Delicious tack. But then I went to my parents house after they had spent a day at work they boiled everything to $hit just to get it done as quick as possible in the early 80's. It was desperate, but I don't think that was the 'traditional Irish' way of cooking everyone is on about. They had to cook that way because that was the only way they could. My grandmother had a far more way of 'traditional' way of cooking and it was far far better, but she had way way more time. That was the 'traditional' way of cooking, not what our usury dependent parents had to contend with in order to feed their families.

Yeah that’s an interesting perspective. The housewife could cook slowly but the working couple used similar methods but had to do it quickly and just boiled the shyte out of things. Could be true.

Slow cooked lamb shanks are some of the best food around.

We always talk about lamb and never mention mutton. Mutton can be delicious but it is tougher and needs to be cooked slowly. So much flavour and if you like lamb then you’ll probably love slow cooked mutton. Goes great in curry too.

3d4life wrote: »
    Also, No Cook Books ?

FWIW

Elizabeth David was a prolific writer of cookery books in the 50s and 60s.

Katherine Whitethorn produced a long running best seller in the 60s

Delia Smith wrote a number of best seller cook books in the 70s

In addition there were many others such as Robert Carrier & Keith Floyd

The names I recognise in that list are all middle class characters. Cook books weren’t for the masses until pretty recently. They were a lot to do with dinner parties and fancy cooking. I think it’s pretty recently that people like Jamie started doing 15min meals that you can cook for the family after work of a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

The names I recognise in that list are all middle class characters......

:confused:

3d4life wrote: »
    :confused:

What’s confused you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Kylta wrote: »
    Do people still do a sunday dinner, consisting of ham, roast, potatoes, cabbage?
    Do people still do stews?
    Do people still do coddles?

These days with most children, especially teenagers, not wanting this and only eating that, and people becoming vegans and vegetarians, people cutting down of different foods due to medical conditions etc.

So what's your opinion, if you refuse to answer, you'll get yesterdays leftover cabbage and potatoes for your dinner.

My mum cooks traditional dinners every day. Some of the things she cooks Rooster/queens potatoes, a full chicken, basic veg like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower. She cooks a lot of fish like salmon, smoked haddock and hake amongst others. Sometimes fillet steak, but a lot of sirloin steak.

I rarely cook traditional dinners. Usually I cook spaghetti bolognese, thai green curries, sweet and sour chicken and the likes. Sometimes I will cook spuds, but i find it takes ages to finish. When you're starving after a hard day's work, the last thing you need is to be spending ages cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What’s confused you?

Good everyday cookbooks have been around for years. The Good housekeeping series was ubiquitous in houses for decades. Kieth Floyd books were incredibly popular, my parents book shelves are heaving with cookbooks from the seventies from which recipes are still being used throughout the family.

Cooking for dinner parties & entertaining has been a very popular culture in suburbia and urban areas for a long time. Pre-covid it would be rare for a good cooking get together in our house, a friends, family or neighbours house at the weekend. Same with my elderly parents, their siblings and my cousins. When the kids were too young we turned to large multi family breakfasts after beach walks.

It's one of the things we really miss during the present pandemic. A crowded table with good food and good company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement