Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Zigbee 3.0 smart devices coming soon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Alkers wrote: »
    Picked up a lightstrip, as with the others paired perfectly with hue and works with scenes etc. I think there are way less LEDs per m than with the hue ones as you can clearly see hotspots on the wall it's facing, particularly on some of the whites. Anyone recommend a diffuser it would fit in? Otherwise may put it on a length of trunking so it's facing upright rather than towards the wall.
    Was initially very impressed but a bit put out now that I've installed it

I just compared the two side by side. Exact same location and number of LEDs. Even the cut points are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

stesaurus wrote: »
    I just compared the two side by side. Exact same location and number of LEDs. Even the cut points are the same.

No way, I must have just done a poor job installing it so! Is it noticeable when they're on the various hue whites - relax, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Whites are fairly bright but don't seem to offer the same spread of light as Hue.
    Colours are definitely not as bright as the Hue.
    Blue and Green shades seem quite similar. Red on its own is fine but any shade of red like pink, violet, purple etc. Is terrible on the Lidl.

oUKORjJ

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

stesaurus wrote: »

Yes, but the LEDs do not shine as brightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, but the LEDs do not shine as brightly.
    Has the power supply the same rating ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Got a Lidl light strip works perfectly no issues connecting to Hue bridge and good output brightness etc, but the colors are definitely different.

No really an issue if you are just using it as a single light source in one room, but if you're trying to color/scence match it to a Hue in the same room there will be a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

ike wrote: »
    Got a Lidl light strip works perfectly no issues connecting to Hue bridge and good output brightness etc, but the colors are definitely different.

No really an issue if you are just using it as a single light source in one room, but if you're trying to color/scence match it to a Hue in the same room there will be a noticeable difference.

Agree.

Just tried one of the e14 in a lamp there. It's within 6 feet of another lamp with a Hue B22 in it. Couldn't for the life of me get the colours to match.
    Also, it's default to a cool white, which isn't great.

Now maybe the silverCrest bridge/app would solve some of those issues, but I've too much invested in the Hue ecosystem at this stage.

So they're all going back this afternoon.

But for someone starting out with no frame of reference, they're terrific value.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I bought the smart USB extension lead but cant get my hue to see it, anyone managed to?

Was going to buy it, but listing has no mention of zigbee like the single plug does and it mentions ‘smart charging’ for the USB ports, it’s just a stock extension lead I think.

Going to pick up a few of the single ones though for Christmas lights and tree etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Got the led strip and linked it to hue with no issues, happy enough with it, using it above a pelmut and not near any other hue stuff so looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Ikea gateway and a lidl extension lead, they pair but only 1 of 3 the sockets is detected. Any solutions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Bought a smart plug today from Lidl for 13 Euros. Tried to connect to Kasa and Alexa but apparently I need a Zigbee Gateway. Why would I bother when I can get 2 smart plugs for 15 euros on Amazon? I don't get it. is there any work-around before I return it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

donalh087 wrote: »
    Bought a smart plug today from Lidl for 13 Euros. Tried to connect to Kasa and Alexa but apparently I need a Zigbee Gateway. Why would I bother when I can get 2 smart plugs for 15 euros on Amazon? I don't get it. is there any work-around before I return it?

Well if you already invested in the Hue eco-system they are great. €13 for zigbee plugs is great and they seem to work great

Well if you already invested in the Hue eco-system they are great.

Well I haven't.

Also the same plugs are 12 euros on Amazon with free delivery so, no, it's not a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

copacetic wrote: »
    ...listing has no mention of zigbee like the single plug does and it mentions ‘smart charging’ for the USB ports, it’s just a stock extension lead I think...

It's listed here as supporting Zigbee https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/lidl-home-usb-power-strip-2/

The number matches whats written on the back of the one I bought last week.
    I can't get it to pair with either Hue or Tradfri hubs.
    No problems pairing the single plug socket one.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Ikea gateway and a lidl extension lead, they pair but only 1 of 3 the sockets is detected. Any solutions?

How did you get it to pair?
    I can see the light flashing after holding down the button for 5 seconds, but it doesn't resond to the pairing button on the IKEA remote - or to the Search on Philips Hue which found the single plug unit immediately.

niallb wrote: »
    How did you get it to pair?
    I can see the light flashing after holding down the button for 5 seconds, but it doesn't resond to the pairing button on the IKEA remote - or to the Search on Philips Hue which found the single plug unit immediately.
    Try starting the pairing right next to the gateway rather than the remotes, they're fairly dodgy at pairing anything. Might take a few tries, and you might have to press the pairing button under the cover of the gateway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Also the same plugs are 12 euros on Amazon with free delivery so, no, it's not a great deal.

Link? I searched a lot a couple of months back for zigbee smart plugs and there arent many options out there.

...they're fairly dodgy at pairing anything. Might take a few tries...

I've managed to pair most things with the IKEA remotes and even have a spare for bulbs that I don't want attached to an active switch. This plugboard failed completely, though I did accidentally re-pair every other light in the house, so the range of the IKEA round remote is much farther than I had previously known!

Pairing directly even using touchlink didn't work - and unfortunately the serial number wasn't printed on the plugboard.

I did finally locate it though - we have an Echo Show in the kitchen and I asked it to discover devices - it came straight up as "First Plug" .

Still no sign of "Second Plug" or "Third Plug", but it's a start.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

Another one here that has paired the Lidl extension lead to ikea but it appears as a single socket unfortunately. If anyone figures it out. Let me know please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Well I haven't.

Can u link me to those Zigbee/Hue plugs on Amazon pls?

• Advertisement

Just Googled Zigbee plugs and it was the first one.

536760.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Are many of the led strips still in stock anyone know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Are many of the led strips still in stock anyone know ?

good few in Athlone if that is of use

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just Googled Zigbee plugs and it was the first one.

Which on Amazon shows delivery to Ireland being £7.61, which would make the total cost well over €20

There are no zigbee plugs on Amazon for less then €20, which is why the Lidl ones are such good value. The Philips Hue ones are £30

Sure you can get WiFi plugs for €12, but those have pros and Cons versus zigbee. I do use some WiFi plugs, but with a cheap zigbee option now available, I’d prefer that as some WiFi routers struggle with the more devices you add to it and I’d rather keep the WiFi for phones/tablets use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭insullation

The strip lighting is only 14.99 Pounds in Lidl in the UK and all products in the range are vastly inflated in the Republic so if you know anyone over there..I think we are been ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The strip lighting is only 14.99 Pounds in Lidl in the UK and all products in the range are vastly inflated in the Republic so if you know anyone over there..I think we are been ripped off

The strip is going to be €35 here in the netherlands, so it seems the UK price is very cheap rather than Ireland being a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭insullation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

Totally agree with this. Much cheaper in Lidl UK. Why do all retailers inflate their Irish prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

Did you see any solutions for this? I'm the same here.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Did you see any solutions for this? I'm the same here.
    I gave up in the end and just bought the lidl gateway.

Advertisement