Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Zigbee 3.0 smart devices coming soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I gave up in the end and just bought the lidl gateway.

Any chance you got a mention of an updated firmware when you connected them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 QuantumLad

JethroC wrote: »
    Seems Lidl will be selling some rebranded Zigbee 3.0 smart devices soon under the Silvercrest name

Shows a list of them here

No word of them on the Irish lidl site yet but seems to be coming soon to Lidl in germany, spain and netherlands as there are mentions on those websites
    Sweet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys , Got a few of the GU10's this morning and paired perfectly with Philips Hue Hub . Alas I cant get them to work with alexa , any ideas ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sharkman wrote: »
    Guys , Got a few of the GU10's this morning and paired perfectly with Philips Hue Hub . Alas I cant get them to work with alexa , any ideas ???

Can you see your other hue lights in the Alexa app?
    Is anything found when you do device discovery in the Alexa app?

Davy wrote: »
    Can you see your other hue lights in the Alexa app?
    Is anything found when you do device discovery in the Alexa app?

Got it sorted thanks Davy , Now I just need to find one more GU10 somewhere ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I bought the lidl Hub and Smart plugs. Although they work Perfectly with the Hue App i find the philips dusk dawn settings a bit awkward to set up. In any event 10/10 for the plugs i was going to invest in the philips Hue smart plugs when I had some cash as they are just so expensive but certainly wont now.
    Hue smart Plug 30 Sterling! I dont think so lads ..

Lidl Zigbee Smart Plug 10/10 from me:cool: if anyone is curious about them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anyone know if these will come back in stock?
    I need 3 more white E14 and 2 more colour E14 bulbs

Also - where can we get our hands on the remote control?
    https://zigbeealliance.org/classic-product-search/#zigbeecertifiedproducts/productdetails3/5e9ffeabbdabae0015a310ba/

Says its included with a 'Starter kit' but I dont see these anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

https://zigbeealliance.org/classic-product-search/#zigbeecertifiedproducts/productdetails3/5e9ffeabbdabae0015a310ba/

tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭insullation

donalh087 wrote: »

Pretty poor reviews

• Advertisement

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/smart-home/c1423/w2

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Anybody find a workaround for the lidl extension lead to connect to hue or the Hive hubs? It does say it's a ZigBee certified product

Anyone get one of these?
    They dont seem to be in my local stores

https://zigbeealliance.org/classic-p...bae0015a310ba/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone get one of these?
    They dont seem to be in my local stores

https://zigbeealliance.org/classic-p...bae0015a310ba/

Broken link there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Got 3 E14 colour and 4 GU10 colour.
    They paired straightaway and were picked up by Alexa immediately.
    However they seem quite flakey, sometimes one will change colour and not the others, the colour set is often not right (e.g. setting it to purple makes them go blue) and the light emitted when on colour mode is fairly low.
    The E14s are in the sitting room and look like a coloured nightlight.
    4 GU10s in a bedroom and they are similar.
    I don't have any Hue Colour bulbs but I do have some Yeelight coloured bulbs (E27) and the difference in light is night and day (though they have their own issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I got the lidl light strip last time round and connected to my hue with no problems and it's been working flawlessly since, I plan to get another.

Another poster said, and I agree, the light and colour output is inferior compared to hue, but if you locate them away from any existing hue stuff that's not noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

mcgovern wrote: »
    Got 3 E14 colour and 4 GU10 colour.
    They paired straightaway and were picked up by Alexa immediately.
    However they seem quite flakey, sometimes one will change colour and not the others, the colour set is often not right (e.g. setting it to purple makes them go blue) and the light emitted when on colour mode is fairly low.
    The E14s are in the sitting room and look like a coloured nightlight.
    4 GU10s in a bedroom and they are similar.
    I don't have any Hue Colour bulbs but I do have some Yeelight coloured bulbs (E27) and the difference in light is night and day (though they have their own issues).
    I'm assuming you've paired them with a non-Lidl gateway, I noticed similar with the colours being far less bright than the white spectrum when I paired it to the Ikea gateway. I forget whether or not using the lidl gateway fixes that. Also with google home if you ask it to change to a colour and then back to a shade of white the brightness is still kneecapped, I need to use Hue essentials or some 3rd party zigbee app to put them back on white temperature mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone see much of a stock of these in Dublin? Local lidl had only three gu10s there today, I just need one e14

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Alkers wrote: »
    Anyone see much of a stock of these in Dublin? Local lidl had only three gu10s there today, I just need one e14

I was in my local lidl on the Thursday morning at about 8:30 when they went on sale and there was only 8 total e14 at that time (4 colour, 4 white). Which was lucky for me as I needed 8 e14 bulbs for some light fittings in my attic.
    So I'm not sure if there was a rush before me or just limited stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm assuming you've paired them with a non-Lidl gateway, I noticed similar with the colours being far less bright than the white spectrum when I paired it to the Ikea gateway. I forget whether or not using the lidl gateway fixes that. Also with google home if you ask it to change to a colour and then back to a shade of white the brightness is still kneecapped, I need to use Hue essentials or some 3rd party zigbee app to put them back on white temperature mode.

Yes, I've paired them to Hue Gateway. Trying to avoid adding anymore Gateways as already have a bunch! Thanks for the details.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Broken link there.

Link changed here is a working one
    https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/lidl-home-remote-control-dimmer/

I don’t know if these are available as I have yet to see one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Yes, I've paired them to Hue Gateway. Trying to avoid adding anymore Gateways as already have a bunch! Thanks for the details.
    Might be worth looking into home assistant to get everything to play nicely together

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mountainrescue

Does anyone know if its possible to connect 2 of the light strip together. So only using 1 plug

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Does anyone know if its possible to connect 2 of the light strip together. So only using 1 plug
    Yes it is. I have 2 together off the one plug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Might be worth looking into home assistant to get everything to play nicely together

I have them on my Hue hub but considering moving the lights to the zigbee2mqtt stick. Although I am wondering if they would be ok on a Echo Gen 4 hub

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm running 6 Hue Hubs so far :)

I started a thread today on the home automation, that we've been at for the last year. It can be found here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1777

I've also managed to get the Lidl powerstrips to work with OpenHAB directly on a Zigbee USB dongle opposed to using the Silvercrest hub, which will make them so much more useful, as the Silvercrest hub isn't supported by most (of any) of the smart home platforms. Video on how to do that is in said threat.
    thecivvie wrote: »
    I have them on my Hue hub but considering moving the lights to the zigbee2mqtt stick. Although I am wondering if they would be ok on a Echo Gen 4 hub

Hah. Funny. That's exactly what I've been at this weekend. Not so much the bulbs, but the likes of the Silvercrest power strips. Works well. There are limitations to the USB dongles though. 12 devices or so depending on how much ram they have. You need a repeater or router to add more. It looks like the Silvercrest powerstrips actually act as Zigbee routers. Need to do some more testing there first.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    ...There are limitations to the USB dongles though. 12 devices or so depending on how much ram they have... It looks like the Silvercrest powerstrips actually act as Zigbee routers...

Looking forward to hearing your results.
    Where did you come across that restriction on the USB device?
    I was about to go in a similar direction, but couldn't be dropping to 12!
    Love some more detail before I make any jumps.

I have Philips Hue hub and IKEA hubs which both work as expected.
    Home Assistant works just as well with either for me.
    I do however prefer IKEAs remote control devices, but they steal bulbs from each other sometimes if you need to reset things! In my ideal end result I'll be able to use any zigbee controller for any remote with any bulbs.

niallb wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing your results.
    Where did you come across that restriction on the USB device?
    I was about to go in a similar direction, but couldn't be dropping to 12!
    Love some more detail before I make any jumps.

I'm referring to direct Zigbee children. As Zigbee is a mesh protocols repeaters and routers can add to that number.

Here is a list of the limitations: https://github.com/Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware/blob/master/coordinator/README.md

That's from the guy, that provides binary images of the Zigbee2MQTT firmwares for the dongles.

Another good read is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/er3kiv/max_number_of_devices_on_zigbee2mqtt/ (apologies, if it's against the guidelines here to refer to another forum. wasn't sure.)

The posts of Royalette and piit79 there.
    I have Philips Hue hub and IKEA hubs which both work as expected.
    Home Assistant works just as well with either for me.
    I do however prefer IKEAs remote control devices, but they steal bulbs from each other sometimes if you need to reset things! In my ideal end result I'll be able to use any zigbee controller for any remote with any bulbs.

Ikea uses "Touchlink" for pairing up devices and that is quite ..... aggressive. I have to use the "Hue Essentials" app on Android or the "Hue Lights" app on iOS to do the same with the Hue hubs, when I want to pair Ikea bulbs with them. And I most certainly turn all the bulbs near to the hub in question fully off, before doing this. Otherwise I risk of hitting another bulb at times.

Müller tint, Innr and Livarno bulbs fortunately just pair up like Hue bulbs without having to use Touchlink. The same goes for the Gledopto LED strip drivers.

I have so far paired the following up with my Zigbee2MQTT dongle on OpenHAB:
    - Ikea GU10 warm-white
    - Silvercrest powerstrips
    - Osram Smart+ Motion sensors (which didn't work with the Hue hub and were an early mishap purchase. They've been sitting in a corner for the last year)
    - the Ikea remote (the round one with left, right and dim up/down)

There's a list of of devices known to work here: https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/supported_devices.html

Now, I only started messing with this yesterday, when my USB dongle arrived, but I can switch the GU10 on with the motion sensor, i can switch each socket individually on the powerstrips and I've so far mapped the on/off button on the Ikea remote to the GU10 and can switch it on and off.

Also, by using the Ikea remote that way, it now communicates with the hub (OpenHAB in my case) and not the bulb directly.

Here is the thing why Ikea remotes and motion sensors are a pain in the hole on other hubs: Ikea's smart home stuff not only uses touchlink to pair, but also communicate directly between each other. Like the remote tells a bulb to turn on or off. And that means, that external systems like OpenHAB or Home Assistent are not always told the status of a device. Because the Ikea hub doesn't even know it.

On a Hue hub, the remote tells the hub to switch a light and the hub then switches the light. That way the status of a Zigbee device is always known.

/M

Thanks Marlow.
    I've found Essentials very useful too. Touchlink often has much better range than you'd expect and you really do need to have everything else powered off!

I've had all my gear (except IKEA remotes) paired to hue and all of it paired to tradfri and various stages in between.

I feel it should be possible to pair the IKEA remote to Hue bulbs without them realising what's going on by matching their channel/Key and in my experience Home Assistant realises quite quickly when an IKEA remote has switched a bulb. Might not be so clear if I have all of the ZigBee stuff on the same channel. I do think that'll be easier to log with the usb dongle and easier to manage with MQTT.

My main question was just where you got the figure of 12 for a limit on device numbers with the usb device, so thanks a million for that too.

• Advertisement

I feel it should be possible to pair the IKEA remote to Hue bulbs without them realising what's going on by matching their channel/Key

Mjaeh ... No .. See, when i started with pairing all these Ikea bulbs with the Hue hubs, I had the brilliant idea, that I could use the Ikea remote with the Ikea bulbs while on the Hue hub.

So I paired my Ikea remote with the Hue hub first, to have the right credentials and then started pairing them with the Ikea bulbs. The result was a completely broken Zigbee system. I literally had to start from scratch. That was at a past 50 bulbs point. So it was painful.

I have refrained from even trying it again, even though it should work in theory .. maybe .. it's not worth it.
    My main question was just where you got the figure of 12 for a limit on device numbers with the usb device, so thanks a million for that too.

It wasn't 12 .. but it was near enough as you can see from the links I posted above. 10 or 15, depending on firmware version and hardware. Again, that's only for directly connected devices.

As for the USB Zigbee device. Hell, yes. The diagnostic possibilities are really really good. Especially on the Zigbee2MQTT implementation. I first figured, it would be a pain in the hole, but it turned out much better, than I thought.

Also .. here's one that I hadn't expected: Zigbee2MQTT connected devices can be OTA firmware updated. At least a good bunch of them. Disregardless of vendor. https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/ota_updates.html

That's something you don't have, when you mix and match commercial vendors on commercial hubs.

I have now also dimming working on my GU10 and figured out, how Zigbee2MQTT can tell me, that a Zigbee device has gone offline.

Oh . and then there is this issue with color issues and dimming levels, when you mix and match. On Zigbee2MQTT, you can make color scheme adjustment maps. Not looked at that yet, but that shall be interesting.

/M

Advertisement