Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diego Maradona RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Reports everywhere internationally that Diego Maradona has passed away.

Sad to hear, actually saw him play in Dublin in 1979 when he wasn't as famous.

Arguably the greatest player of all time.

RIP

Source: Google & The Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Reports going around that Diego Maradona has died of a heart attack aged 60.

I really hope it’s not true. :(

https://t.co/NXqfjp0hGg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Unfortunately there are multiple reports confirming the death of Diego Armando Maradona, arguably the best to ever do it.

Incredible player and extremely interesting life.

Diego Maradona the film is well worth watching for anyone who hasn't already.

RIP.

maradona86-1200x630.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

RIP you little genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Legend, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A great character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Wow that hits harder than it should.
    Rip to the greatest to ever play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The original goat. What a player. What a character.

15th anniversary of George Best death too.

I’m sure God will welcome him with open hands!!!

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One of the true greats of the game
    Had his demons, detractors and rivals...
    He beat them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

RIP. Now he can shake the Hand of God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

RIP greatest of all time

Different Class as Jimmy said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ah stop lads......seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The greatest.

Won one World Cup on his own and almost repeated the feat four years later.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

RIP Diego........Fantastic player....Always remembered 1986 World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Now this is just too much! Devastated. Shedding tears for Diego Armando Maradona. The Greatest footballer I’ve ever seen. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The best there ever was. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

What a player. RIP Diego Armando Maradona.
    Always controversial but always a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Very sad. When I was younger, everyone wanted to be Maradona when we played ball in the field. The greatest ever.

Sincerely upset by this. I love Maradona. I'm old enough to have seen him and he was such an enigma at times. For me, easily the greatest to play the game.

He was so unique in every sense. Even the way he struck the ball. There was nothing learned about it. His technique could be so raw. Like he was playing in the park with his friends. An utter joy to watch and a true proponent of the beautiful game.

R.I.P. A sad day for football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Many of my formative football memories will always be of Maradonna.
    Mexico 86 the first World cup I can remember. As Jimmy said, he really was "different class".

What he achieved with Napoli was fantastic, especially in the Milan/Turin dominated Serie A of the late 80s & early 90s
    A sad day.

RIP Diego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I am privileged to have seen him live.

I have seen Van Basten, Gullitt, Lineker, Dalglish, Rush, McGrath and many more play live.

He was the greatest I saw.

To me the most talented with George Best.

Today is George's anniversary.

Rest well legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Greatest ever. RIP El Diego.

This is a great clip of him too. What skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Sad day. What a player, loved watching him in the 80s and 90s. An incredible footballer and until Messi, the best I'd ever seen by a distance.

Have to say, as sad as this is, Jack's passing hit me a lot harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Thanks 2020,now fvck off please.

Glazers Out!

I shed a tear twice during the 1994 WC:

1. When he scored aganist Greece. I got up ear;y to watch him against Australia in the qualifiers.

2. When he got kicked out. I remember where I was standing to the spot the moment I found out. I was genuinely absolutely gutted over that and still am TBH. In fact I cannot think of a single other incident that upset me so much expect perhaps Wim Kieft's goal against Ireland in Euro 88.

I remember watching him juggling the ball on his shoulder before the Cameroon game in 1990 and being awestruck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just heard the news. That was a shock. RIP.

I shed a tear twice during the 1994 WC:

1. When he scored aganist Greece. I got up ear;y to watch him against Australia in the qualifiers.

2. When he got kicked out. I remember where I was standing to the spot the moment I found out. I was genuinely absolutely gutted over that and still am TBH. In fact I cannot think of a single other incident that upset me so much expect perhaps Wim Kieft's goal against Ireland in Euro 88.

I remember watching him juggling the ball on his shoulder before the Cameroon game in 1990 and being awestruck.

I went banana's when he scored against Greece. I was so over the moon!! And the celebration. Also have the same memory of being so upset/annoyed he got kicked out. Knew it would be the last time I'd see him at a WC. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PGE1970 wrote: »

Today is George's anniversary.

Rest well legends.

Round the same age at their passing too...

I guess it was somewhat inevitable in some respects dying young.

I went banana's when he scored against Greece. I was so over the moon!! And the celebration. Also have the same memory of being so upset/annoyed he got kicked out. Knew it would be the last time I'd see him at a WC. :(

That's why I got up for the qualifiers just so I could see every precious moment and the nerves for the next 6 months wondering if he would make it to the WC.

When he scored against Greece (again I know exactly where I watched it) I genuinely savoured it and welled up "Something in my eye" moment. They were off to win the WC as far as I was concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Before my time but have seen enough footage to know how much of a legend he is.

Had it all, and was a hardy bastard too. That spell between winning the world cup and leading Napoli to their only two league titles is arguably the greatest form ever seen in the game.

By jesus there will be some mourning in Argentina and Naples

A few weeks ago on his 60 I commented elsewhere that I would gladly go over the top with him by my side.

Whatever you can say about him- he had balls. He never flinched. He never hid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Given his appearance and health problems in recent years it's probably not that surprising, I remember when I was young I had a video tape of the best World Cup goals, I'd watch the second goal against England over and over again.

That documentary last year was brilliant, was great to see footage of him at his best, looked like he couldn't go anywhere in Napoli without being mobbed, looked so suffocating, don't blame him for turning towards drugs watching that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

RIP. A legend on the pitch.

1986 was the first World Cup I remember fully. Great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

The greatest player I've ever seen. He had a genius that hasn't been seen since. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

PGE1970 wrote: »
    I am privileged to have seen him live.

I have seen Van Basten, Gullitt, Lineker, Dalglish, Rush, McGrath and many more play live.

He was the greatest I saw.

To me the most talented with George Best.

Today is George's anniversary

Rest well legends.

What an eerie coincidence that is.

15 years to the day George passed away.
    Easily two of the most naturally gifted players to ever grace a football pitch, both had their demons outside of the game sadly.

RIP Diego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

RIP. The best player I’ve ever seen.

Won the 1986 World Cup practically by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The real GOAT, RIP.

And fcuk off 2020 :mad:

• Advertisement

I think Argentina has officially imploded and no longer exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Never saw him live, as ive only seen him live on tv hea def the best ive seen in my humble opinion. Im 37.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I would rank Messi higher in terms of achievement. Maradona will be regarded in the same vein as George Best, a selfish, immature addict who died before his time. Pele is still the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Watch Maradona in Mexico on netflix, where he coaches a Mexican 2nd division outfit. Its Maradona at his most Maradonaesque - fiery, emotional, a great motivator but not a great manager, yet everyone loved him.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gutted to hear this. I watched the fantastic documentary about him when it aired on Channel 4 earlier in the year. I hope they air it again.

One of the all-time greats. If you were doing a Mount Rushmore for this sport he would be an easy pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

RIP very sad what a life he lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RIP to the mad little genius

There was no-one like him before or since, so many memories of his rise and fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

chicorytip wrote: »
    I would rank Messi higher in terms of achievement. Maradona will be regarded in the same vein as George Best, a selfish, immature addict who died before his time. Pele is still the greatest of all time.

There's always one :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

chicorytip wrote: »

No one gives a fúck about your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

chicorytip wrote:

FFS

• Advertisement
Advertisement