Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diego Maradona RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

RIP Diego. One of the greatest to ever lace up a pair of boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

chicorytip wrote: »
    I would rank Messi higher in terms of achievement. Maradona will be regarded in the same vein as George Best, a selfish, immature addict who died before his time. Pele is still the greatest of all time.

25b631e08d96b2d30d9c60dde400aaee.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

yn-Vd-BHM3-720x0-1.png

R.I.P

He was a lovable rogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

murpho999 wrote: »

This is a great clip of him too. What skill.

I immediately went to look for this.
    A genius, flawed in ways yes, but a genius.

A different class.

I watched a Davis Cup match between Argentina and some other team a few years back simply because Maradona was in the crowd urging his country on.

He wasn't disrespectful of the other team, but it was joy to watch how he almost played every point, even though it wasn't his sport, but his country.
    As commentator said it could be Argentina playing marbles and he would be the same.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What he did in 1986 was unbelievable. I remember starting to watch Italian foortball when he was playing for Napoli, just to watch him. Immense!

Saw this video a few months ago and couldn't believe it was him. Very sad, but it wasn't hard to see what was coming

I would rank Messi higher in terms of achievement. Maradona will be regarded in the same vein as George Best, a selfish, immature addict who died before his time. Pele is still the greatest of all time.

And you previously said Rooney ranked higher than Messi...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93331856&postcount=1

The reason why so many of my generation love the game was Maradona. The wind up stuff is unwelcome.

The 1986 WC final team.

gettyimages-1219010900-2074x1383.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The greatest there ever was. 2020 keeps delivering it's ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Very sad news. Just wish he was around in his prime for my generation. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

The first football game I attended in my life was Argentinos Jrs 5 - 3 Boca Jrs. He scored 4 times. My father is an Argentinos Jrs supporter.

I support River Plate but Diego was my childhood and teenage years.

RIP, he will hopefully now find some peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Had the pleasure or seeing him play three times in Serie A around 1990. Best I ever saw with a ball at his feet, better than Zidane, Messi, Ronaldinho or either Ronaldo.

Revered like a saint in Napoli (I've been there a few times0, there'll be some outpouring of grief for him in Argentina too. They loved him because he came from the barrios and never forgot where he came from.

article-2679399-04806CB10000044D-376_634x649.jpg

Queen_maradona.jpg

jmayo wrote: »
    The 1986 WC final team.

gettyimages-1219010900-2074x1383.webp

Great pic, but I don't think Borghi played the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Watch Maradona in Mexico on netflix, where he coaches a Mexican 2nd division outfit. Its Maradona at his most Maradonaesque - fiery, emotional, a great motivator but not a great manager, yet everyone loved him.

RIP

don't be a guy like Alchemist33 folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Legend.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

KevRossi wrote: »
    article-2679399-04806CB10000044D-376_634x649.jpg

Always adored this photograph. It just says so much about the player he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

gzoladz wrote: »
    The first football game I attended in my life was Argentinos Jrs 5 - 3 Boca Jrs. He scored 4 times. My father is an Argentinos Jrs supporter.

I support River Plate but Diego was my childhood and teenage years.

RIP, he will hopefully now find some peace.

Wow, amazing to see that legend in your first game. Guess you were even happier with him thrashing Boca.

gzoladz wrote: »
    Great pic, but I don't think Borghi played the final.

My bad I lifted it from Sky.

Always remember Jose Luis Brown playing a lot of the second half with arm tucked into shirt because he had dislocated shoulder.
    Now that is a hard man not like the modern players that roll around.

Always fond of him thanks to his name, not sure if related to the great Admiral Brown or not.

Sadly just realised Jose Luis Brown is no longer around either having died in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

RIP Maradona. Legend of the beautiful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

RIP, from one footballing genius to another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Messi is an incredible player, no argument.
    His inability to land a world cup for Argentina though remains an unavoidable weak point on his CV, especially when making comparisons to Maradona.
    And Messi has played alongside some outstanding talent in the national side.

Maradona elevated and lead an unfancied team in 86 to World cup glory. And came within a whisker of repeating it four years later.

And inspired Napoli to topple some of the giants of Serie A, back when the Italian league was easily the best in Europe.

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Haven't seen this one posted yet

myAg2v4.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Greatest ever imho, often fighting against the odds on and off the pitch yet still performed.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Haven't seen this one posted yet

myAg2v4.jpg

A great snap too. Don Diego and and our own Paul McGrath in a charity match back in 1987.

football-league-xis-paul-mcgrath-marks-rest-of-the-world-xis-diego-picture-id637454870

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

greatest ever imo too

what he achieved at Napoli and when was truly remarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Saw this video a few months ago and couldn't believe it was him. Very sad, but it wasn't hard to see what was coming

Its not him in that video.
    The man in the video is actor Roly Serrano.
    The video is taken from the film 'Youth' released in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With the closeted lives footballers have now he would probably have won twice as many things as he did,he really started to struggle in Naples once the Mafia came into his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

With the closeted lives footballers have now he would probably have won twice as many things as he did,he really started to struggle in Naples once the Mafia came into his life.

it's probably a fair point, I'd also suggest with the protection attacking players get now compared to then, from referees and the rules of the game, he would have been just about unstoppable.

Maradona against Scotland in 1979.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fee218034-a446-11ea-b184-d1e18278054a.jpg?crop=2910%2C1637%2C247%2C943&resize=1180

I think this is when he is just about to slot home the best WC goal ever.

2814.jpg?fit=700%2C468

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

cashback wrote: »
    Wow, amazing to see that legend in your first game. Guess you were even happier with him thrashing Boca.

Haha, indeed!

He was the only who could get the whole country to hug together and now goes, when we cannot hug each other...sad.

Edit: as my father supported Arg Jrs he took me to see it a number of times. He was so good than when he was transferred to Boca Jrs we still went a few times to see him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

RIP, he was something else, fond memories watching napoli on me little portable TV them years ago

Also 15 years to the Day George Best Passed away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

And you previously said Rooney ranked higher than Messi...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93331856&postcount=1

The reason why so many of my generation love the game was Maradona. The wind up stuff is unwelcome.

That's just embarrassing!

jmayo wrote: »
    My bad I lifted it from Sky.

Always remember Jose Luis Brown playing a lot of the second half with arm tucked into shirt because he had dislocated shoulder.
    Now that is a hard man not like the modern players that roll around.

Always fond of him thanks to his name, not sure if related to the great Admiral Brown or not.

Sadly just realised Jose Luis Brown is no longer around either having died in 2019.

Cucciufo is also gone, he died in a home accident with a gun (he loved hunting).
    Brown was a bit of a surprised in that WK. He replaced Passarella who got sick and it was a surprise him starting in the first eleven.

He also scored the first goal in the final. Free kick from the right by Burruchaga, nobody knows where Schumacher was going (luckily for us), and Brown headed. I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing, who I was with in every game and every goal of that WK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

yeah, but I would argue we miss the characters from the game , like I had growing up - him and Best and Stan Bowles , even our own Paul McGrath - todays over paid stars are cocooned by money and PR and agents - and the average punter cant relate.

Diego - simply the Greatest - Napoli and WC '86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Sad day. What a player, loved watching him in the 80s and 90s. An incredible footballer and until Messi, the best I'd ever seen by a distance.

Have to say, as sad as this is, Jack's passing hit me a lot harder.

I find him a more enjoyable player to watch than Messi due to the bad boy swagger about him. You never knew what was going to happen. Messi come across a bit too goodie two shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fitting that Divock Origi starts for Liverpool tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

D-sIyXrXYAA760F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Unbelievable player back in those days. He took a mediocre Argentina team and won the WC. He took a Napoli team that had never won the Serie A and won it twice. I was lucky enough to see him in WC 94 although it turned out to be his final game with Argentina.
    Also he used to get fouled so much...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVzBG11ZpM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

One of the best ever and a complete mad bastard, imagine what it would have been like to go on the piss with him :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

scudzilla wrote: »
    One of the best ever and a complete mad bastard, imagine what it would have been like to go on the piss with him :pac::pac::pac:

Cocaine and Hookers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Depends how you define achievement. Maradona has touched so many lives in ways no player ever has nor ever will again. A cultural icon. A football God. A player of the people. A rebel. A genius. And to quote some tweet I saw earlier - “the ultimate individual in a team sport”.

He’s miles ahead in terms of achievements in my eyes. In an era of obsessed with statistics, he’s simply something else entirely. Something higher and more important than any of that. As I said before - a true proponent of the beautiful game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Depends how you define achievement. Maradona has touched so many lives in ways no player ever has nor ever will again. A cultural icon. A football God. A player of the people. A rebel. A genius. And to quote some tweet I saw earlier - “the ultimate individual in a team sport”.

He’s miles ahead in terms of achievements in my eyes. In an era of obsessed with statistics, he’s simply something else entirely. Something higher and more important than any of that. As I said before - a true proponent of the beautiful game.

So well said. Diego transcended the sport. Messi has the personality of a cardboard box. Maradona is a cultural icon and achieved the pinnacle at the world cup. I would only put Pele ahead of him all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So well said. Diego transcended the sport. Messi has the personality of a cardboard box. Maradona is a cultural icon and achieved the pinnacle at the world cup. I would only put Pele ahead of him all time.

It reminds me of the tennis debate, where Djokovic is obviously technically gifted, and pretty much guaranteed to go down as the most successful player of all time. But he's so sterile and generally dislikable that he's never in anyone's conversation for favourite players.

Sport is entertainment - technical ability is obviously huge, but it's about more than that. It's about charisma and character and narrative, and none have ever shone brighter than Maradona when it comes to the whole package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Thought Aguero would have sat out the City match vs olympiacos tonight as a mark of respect..... he was married to Maradonas daughter at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Fitting that Divock Origi starts for Liverpool tonight.

Pardon my ignorance or if it's a joke that went over my head but in what way is that fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Agreed, best player ever for me. He was an absolute standout in a time where football was almost a different sport than it is now with its physicality and cynical dirty fouls.

The flaws in his character only made him more relatable, he made mistakes but he played with heart and as a little guy wasn't pushed around or intimidated by the opposition.

Unfortunately we'll never see a player or character like him again in the sport

• Advertisement
Advertisement