Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Gaming

Options
  • 25-11-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm putting together a new build for my Sister for Christmas, I'm just looking for some guidance on what to get.

1. What is your budget? [€800-€900]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming - stuff like minecraft, SIMS, etc.]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [Medium size]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No - have large ethernet cable & M&K]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes potentially]

8. How can you pay? [Any]

9. When are you purchasing? [Ideally in next week or two to have all the parts for Xmas day]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Dublin]

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sorry just to confirm is it a prebuild (AWD-IT should be giving boards.ie commission) or are you looking for a parts list - Do you need help with building it?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Sorry just to confirm is it a prebuild (AWD-IT should be giving boards.ie commission) or are you looking for a parts list - Do you need help with building it?

No I'm going to build it, looking for a parts list :)

I was going to do a build but I find myself asking myself more questions than I have answers so hopefully I can stimulate some discussion for you.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100 or Ryzen 5 2600? (I'd be going for the 3300X but it's on preorder on Amazon)
    GPU: 1660 Super or Ti or would an AMD card be best here?

MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard - best avoided or okay for this build - reckon it would be grand with a 4 or 6 core personally.

What's the current mATX case of choice, the Kamikaze seems a bit dear and stock is limited from what I can see.

SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply grand at £60?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was going to do a build but I find myself asking myself more questions than I have answers so hopefully I can stimulate some discussion for you.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100 or Ryzen 5 2600? (I'd be going for the 3300X but it's on preorder on Amazon)
    GPU: 1660 Super or Ti or would an AMD card be best here?

MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard - best avoided or okay for this build - reckon it would be grand with a 4 or 6 core personally.

What's the current mATX case of choice, the Kamikaze seems a bit dear and stock is limited from what I can see.

SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply grand at £60?

2600 is better long term but 3100 is £22 cheaper and fine for today's games.

1660 Super/Ti is a decent card. But if budget allows, RX 5600 XT is better. Also consider the used market.

mATX cases are dead. Get a small ATX case instead. As long as it has a mesh front + 2+ fans it's grand.
    Arctic P12 fans are dead cheap so can be used for more airflow.

Corsair TXM or Kolink Enclave are Gold-rated PSUs for £64-70. Better buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

mAtx cases are dead?? When did that memo get circulated...

• Advertisement

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£54.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£69.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£103.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£220.34 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: GameMax Kamikaze PRO MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£59.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: KOLINK ENCLAVE 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £671.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-29 16:37 GMT+0000

White RAM again as I can't see the price on black - swap out to taste. Could go cheaper here with some Corsair LPX 3200 stuff. Saves about a tenner. Some dodgy looking seller has it for £40 at the moment.
    SSD if there is a cheaper M.2 1TB SSD then go with that one. OR go SATA.

Monitor a 24" IPS or VA Panel - should be room in the budget. Gaming monitors are another rabbit hole but personally I think a 75Hz panel would be fine for the listed games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You're gonna have to order soon to get it before Christmas I think.

Amazon are being pretty slow with some orders at the moment.

A back log from black friday and Christmas I guess.

I'm still waiting on some items to dispatch that I ordered 6 days ago.

1 order was dispatched and it's saying it won't be here until Friday, another 4 days.

Sign up for the free month of amazon prime to speed things up and maybe get some discounts. You can cancel it straight away and keep the free month.

Advertisement