Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook and Archive

Options
  • 26-11-2020 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Apologies for asking what is probably a really stupid question. But it’s about archives on outlook.

My work email is on an exchange - I have 10GBs and do the usual - send and receive emails with large files. I try my best to use OneNote as a reference for attached documents but I still want to see what I’ve sent for future reference (lots of that in my game). Sometimes I remove the attachment from the email to save space but that’ll only work for some emails. Others I need to keep the attachment.

Anyway, archiving. Am I correct in saying the following:
    - archive will take the email from my exchange account and store it on my local drive
    - it’ll still be accessible through outlook
    - it will reduce the size of my exchange storage.

What I really need is to archive all emails - sent and received older than 6 months.

Sorry for the stupid question. I just don’t want to break anything (again) and our it guy just hasn’t been that helpful on this stuff, but to be fair it is pretty busy for them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

can your company enable an online archive mailbox for your mailbox? This allows you to move mail automatically to a 2nd mailbox that is accessible from Outlook at any time. Dumping email to a local offline archive (PST) is never a good idea as the file is local to that machine. I'd shoot a note to your IT / helpdesk to ask if they can enable this feature which is pretty standard for most companies and the normal way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

BailMeOut wrote: »
    can your company enable an online archive mailbox for your mailbox? This allows you to move mail automatically to a 2nd mailbox that is accessible from Outlook at any time. Dumping email to a local offline archive (PST) is never a good idea as the file is local to that machine. I'd shoot a note to your IT / helpdesk to ask if they can enable this feature which is pretty standard for most companies and the normal way to do this.

Thanks for that.

Will certainly do that. Would that not take up space also. I think they’re point is that they don’t have the space - it’s a fairly large public sector organisation.

If I did shift onto my local drive (which I back up daily) - does that reduce space on my online exchange account; and if so, would the front end of outlook still be able to find it easily. Would my sent on outlook show me both my exhange and older locally archived emails in the same sent folder on outlook?

Thanks for your time in replying.

Advertisement