Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo people "not sufficiently skilled" to work in call centres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Their call centre was never in India.

Parts of it were run by an Indian Company out of Telephone House in Marlborough Street in Dublin.

Had huge issues with them 2017/18, mostly Indians I was talking to, after making a Comreg complaint I was given a new number to call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Acosta

I've not had to deal with them since last year and that was a nightmare. I can't imagine what it's like being on the phone with them now if they're after getting even worse! I switched networks, they acknowledged it, disconnected me but still tried to charge me afterwards. I tried several times to sort it with one of their idiot employees but in the end had to cancel the direct debit. Never again! From the customer reps, engineers that call to the house, to the people on accounts, I must had been on to about 25 different people and not one gave a flying fcuk about what they were doing.

Had huge issues with them 2017/18, mostly Indians I was talking to, after making a Comreg complaint I was given a new number to call

Think nearly everyone I dealt with was in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

We’ve had problems with Eir here for months. Television box stopped working twice, phoned three times before it got sorted.

Internet stopped working multiple times, we were not offered any kind of assistance beyond “turn it off and back on again” by the first two representatives after being on hold for half an hour each time. I explained that doing so was not helping the issue; but they were adamant that I should keep doing so and that they’d “do something on their end.” The third time we finally got someone who had a crumb of sense and they sent us a new modem which fixed the problem.

Vodafone are even worse. Called them about a bill my father received for a contract that he had cancelled months ago. Waited almost an hour on hold. They gave us an email and number to call about it as they were the wrong department (we had called the customer support number on their website.) We tried calling and emailing the number and email provided but neither of them worked. Phone number wouldn’t dial with or without area code and the email constantly failed to deliver.

I only managed to get in touch with them over Twitter and got an email from them which finally worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Was there myself in Meteor at the same time.

I remember some of the cost cutting Eir did when they took over. Absolute shambles of a company.

Eir always owned Meteor, it was just rebranded afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Customer support is not long for this world.

Everything is being moved to self service, if you are speaking to a human, you are not speaking to support, it is pre-sales in disguise.

These agents are not targeted on support or queries, they are targeted on leads generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

D.Q wrote: »
    Customer support is not long for this world.

Everything is being moved to self service, if you are speaking to a human, you are not speaking to support, it is pre-sales in disguise.

These agents are not targeted on support or queries, they are targeted on leads generated.

That is not true in every case I have had to deal with two customer service issues recently and no attempt to sell me anything both dealt with efficiently, it's a pet peeve of mine a query turning into a would you like to buy insurance question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭arctictree

Eircom originally had Eircell. They then got out of mobile and sold Eircell to Vodafone around 2001. Then in 2005 they decided to get back into mobile by buying Meteor. I'm sure some accountants made a lot of money during this shuffeling....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I bought a phone online off them. I had been with meteor for years and obviously they changed over. I was expecting the phone in 2-3 days, didn't come. 2-3 weeks didn't come. Spend 1, 2, 3 hours on hold for them, nothing. About 6 weeks after I called my bank and they reversed the transaction. I then buy the same phone with Tesco mobile and switch to them (decent service BTW)

A few days later the phone from Eir arrives. I packaged it up and posted it back to them. I wrote in a letter that I don't want it, I'll never use them again. A week later I get a 2nd refund, so I was up around €140 :pac:

There was not one iota of my conscience that considered giving them back the €140. The amount of time, stress and effort I put in trying to contact them, I didn't care that they lost out.

I would advise actually sending them a written letter to their Dublin office. It's the only way you will get through to them.

I never had any dispute with them before this and naively thought they'd protect their buyers.
    I spent 2 months literally fighting, justifying, begging to be just heard.

Anyway, that's for another thread.
    Would love to see a whistleblower type interview done with eir workers.
    I found parking my car in front of Paypal's door in Blanch got my problem sorted.
    Open and shut case of fraud with the fraudster knowing their processes inside out and exploiting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I found parking my car in front of Paypal's door in Blanch got my problem sorted.
    Open and shut case of fraud with the fraudster knowing their processes inside out and exploiting it.

If I lived in Dublin, I think I'd have done that too because there were days I just felt like eating my fist in frustration.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Nope, they owned Eircell.

Meteor was independent of of Eir til they bought them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

The French businessman that owns Eir is worth around €8 billion euros. They used to employ 13,000 people at their peak but they have cut around 10,000 jobs over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

id imagine theres 2 of them left, sitting in a room with HQ counting down the days till they're 55 and can be sent on their way with a fat defined benefit pension. Answering the same calls to the same 4 aul biddies.

They are in the retirement department. I believe this is where those folks go to read the newspaper for the day.

Big one you should watch for on landline bills is "Appliance Rental" they keep charging for phones forever if you don't pull them up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

Surely all these call centres will shortly be replaced with chat- bots, multi-lingual linguistic processing is moving along with great strides, including processing emotions and meaning through vocal information.

Surely all these call centres will shortly be replaced with chat- bots, multi-lingual linguistic processing is moving along with great strides, including processing emotions and meaning through vocal information.

All the state funding agencies, IDA, Enterprise Ireland ,Udarus na Gaeltachta love call centres, cheap to set up,nice photo ops for local politician/Agency rep, huge staff turnover so can claim large job creation,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

All the state funding agencies, IDA, Enterprise Ireland ,Udarus na Gaeltachta love call centres, cheap to set up,nice photo ops for local politician/Agency rep, huge staff turnover so can claim large job creation,

its a bit more than the fault of the state to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Indians sez you?

More Cowboys than Indians if ya ask me

Appropriate given that Sligo is still more or less in the Wild West phase of its "development"

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its a bit more than the fault of the state to be fair

Not blaming anyone but Eir but the state are overly fond of taking the handy option and funding call centres, wouldn't be surprised if Eir had the building for nothing and got grants for every new employee, Lucky if Eir are paying half of the rather meagre 21k, i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The French businessman that owns Eir is worth around €8 billion euros. They used to employ 13,000 people at their peak but they have cut around 10,000 jobs over the years.

But you probably don't complain when your bill for your mobile phone usage is drastically lower than it was 15-20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not blaming anyone but Eir but the state are overly fond of taking the handy option and funding call centres, wouldn't be surprised if Eir had the building for nothing and got grants for every new employee, Lucky if Eir are paying half of the rather meagre 21k, i

ah its a combination of many things, de-unionisation of our economies, de-manufacturing, globalisation,.......................

Indians sez you?

More Cowboys than Indians if ya ask me

Appropriate given that Sligo is still more or less in the Wild West phase of its "development"

I got rid of Eir in 2018, took from January until August and invovled Comreg, would've been before Sligo became active.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I didn't know they had a Sligo in India

They have a Mayo College too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

keano_afc wrote: »
    Wasn't it a fella from Sligo who got a job in Eir just so he could cancel his own broadband?
    Legend if true!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Floppybits wrote: »
    I think the problem with Eir is that they still haven't shaken the public sector legacy from the company even though it has been a privatised company for many decades now.

Just over two decades, not many. September 1999.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

But you probably don't complain when your bill for your mobile phone usage is drastically lower than it was 15-20 years ago.

I am pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Beat me to it, people complaining about poor customer service need to realise that the race to the bottom that this industry is, the one thing these companies don't give a f about funding is customer service. If even 90% are set up without problem, they are happy enough to just provide a minimal customer service to the other 10% and if they take their business, who cares.

People say "pay peanuts, get monkeys" - if you pay €20-30 a month for the service, you would probably baulk at a €10 "enhanced customer support fee" if such a thing existed.

Race to the bottom!

Since I left Eir nobody from Eir can phone me. And they're too incompetent to sort it out. People on eir need to WhatsApp phone me. I don't really want to change a number I've had for 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Eir - by miles the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Advertisement