Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x07 - 'Unification III' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭pah

H3llR4iser wrote: »

That's a funny one. I've tried and tried again with these - I just can't stand them. None of the "Arrowverse" series strikes me as "superhero" shows, rather as "romance heavy teenage girl flicks that happen to be in the DC universe".

I've watched The flash with my kids 12 &16 and it's been ok, throwaway entertainment, Arrow was watchable but never deemed must see tv, legends of tomorrow is quite funny and the crossovers can be entertaining but all in all its very hollow stuff. That being said there have been more weepy, emotional scenes in these 7 episodes of Disco than 7 seasons of any of those shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That's my sole reason for watching it at this stage, but I really do think it's made for non-Trek fans, even moreso now than earlier seasons. For 12-20 year olds with a vague idea of what Trek is, but without actually having watched much of it beyond maybe the new movies. And the kind of people who watch it as entertainment, but don't show up on forums etc as they're just not that bothered either way. It's just another tv show. My nephews and niece all fall into this category and enjoy it (they also really loved Picard). For them it's equivalent to Arrow, or The Flash and stuff like that. I tried to get them to watch some TNG - it did not go well. Bored out of their trees!

Yeah, sorry I meant more that its not going to grow a new following of Star Trek fans who would go watch TOS/TNG/DS9 etc.

I'm sure it will appeal to people who have never and would never watch any of the other ST series (since its so different).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry I meant more that its not going to grow a new following of Star Trek fans who would go watch TOS/TNG/DS9 etc.

I'm sure it will appeal to people who have never and would never watch any of the other ST series (since its so different).

That seems to be exactly what's going on - most of the people praising Discovery to the high heavens are people who actually dislike Star Trek. There are plenty of comments about how "I was never into Star Trek, but Discovery..." - for them, the show's biggest flaws are actually a positive.

That seems to be exactly what's going on - most of the people praising Discovery to the high heavens are people who actually dislike Star Trek. There are plenty of comments about how "I was never into Star Trek, but Discovery..." - for them, the show's biggest flaws are actually a positive.

It's still a better love story than Twilight (the love of everyone for Burnham, including Burnham)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

pah wrote: »
    I've watched The flash with my kids 12 &16 and it's been ok, throwaway entertainment, Arrow was watchable but never deemed must see tv, legends of tomorrow is quite funny and the crossovers can be entertaining but all in all its very hollow stuff. That being said there have been more weepy, emotional scenes in these 7 episodes of Disco than 7 seasons of any of those shows.

I'm sure they have their own merits, the few episodes I've watched of either were not bad per se, it's just that I feel the focus is much more on stuff like "inner daemons", romance and such rather than the superhero stuff. Hence the "touchy-feely" teenage girl thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was never a big Star Trek fan. I watched some of the TV shows and whilst I wouldn't dislike them, I wouldn't love them either. Even still I can't see how any one thinks this is a good TV show. The biggest flaws have nothing to do with Star Trek and its canon. Even if this wasn't a Star Trek show, it would still be pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Until something like this happens Mikey S I don't think trek fans will ever be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjpWtsqhec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I dunno, I know there is a negative thread on reddit that got shut down but all the weekly eposide threads make it seem Discovery is really popular with trek fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I dunno, I know there is a negative thread on reddit that got shut down but all the weekly eposide threads make it seem Discovery is really popular with trek fans.

The weekly threads are more of a tradition on this site and shouldn't reflect in popularity. I just take the show for what it is a 'Space soap'. Can enjoy the episodes even with glaring weakness and stupidity of it.

Most of threads descend into strong critique of the episode. Also handy having episode threads, so people don't encounter spoilers for the whole season. If binge watching after they have aired.

The Only New Trek we have at present.

JeffKenna wrote: »

Well if you shutdown the negative ones, the only ones left will be positive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

corkie wrote: »
    The weekly threads are more of a tradition on this site and shouldn't reflect in popularity. I just take the show for what it is a 'Space soap'. Can enjoy the episodes even with glaring weakness and stupidity of it.

Most of threads descend into strong critique of the episode. Also handy having episode threads, so people don't encounter spoilers for the whole season. If binge watching after they have aired.

The Only New Trek we have at present.

I'm happy we have Trek on TV. That was a long dry spell.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

To be honest, I'm sure "social media" is a part of any advertising budget for a show like this these days, and I'd suspect that includes "guiding" and "influencing" posts on Reddit and threads on Twitter.

In the same way trolls can stir-up **** in a thread for lolz, a few positive comments in the right tone at the right time can have people piling on in agreement while others are less likely to voice an opposing view. People like to be part of the group.

Not saying it's all lies or that everyone hates the show universally, but I wouldn't trust the consensus on big social media hotspots like r/startrek. Dissatisfaction with the show is much more common, I've noticed, in smaller Star Trek forums and subreddits.

And/or it's just this American "fandom" idea of treating your favourite piece of entertainment like a local sports team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Goodshape wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm sure "social media" is a part of any advertising budget for a show like this these days, and I'd suspect that includes "guiding" and "influencing" posts on Reddit and threads on Twitter.

In the same way trolls can stir-up **** in a thread for lolz, a few positive comments in the right tone at the right time can have people piling on in agreement while others are less likely to voice an opposing view. People like to be part of the group.

Not saying it's all lies or that everyone hates the show universally, but I wouldn't trust the consensus on big social media hotspots like r/startrek. Dissatisfaction with the show is much more common, I've noticed, in smaller Star Trek forums and subreddits.

And/or it's just this American "fandom" idea of treating your favourite piece of entertainment like a local sports team.

I briefly watched an inter on YouTube between will Wheaton, wesley crusher and s Martin Green, Mikey Spock about this episode. It’s was clear from wheatons expressions that he knew we knew he sold out. Your either in or out of the tent and being outside means your niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

I briefly watched an inter on YouTube between will Wheaton, wesley crusher and s Martin Green, Mikey Spock about this episode. It’s was clear from wheatons expressions that he knew we knew he sold out. Your either in or out of the tent and being outside means your niche.

Recorded on/for CBS All-access youtube channel, so going into
    'The Ready Room' <<< US VPN required to watch here
    you know straight away, It just going to be all positive and pro the show before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Only catching up on this now...

The whispering, please stop the whispering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Qowat Milat allowing non-Romulans in...they were never known for being that welcoming in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Qowat Milat allowing non-Romulans in...they were never known for being that welcoming in the past!

1000 years is a long time for a Romulans warrior nun woman to change her mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dave0301 wrote: »

Or Romulans in general.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK, I still enjoy Discovery but my main gripe was the over-focus on the least interesting character, Burnham and her speechifying. Initial trailers for this season seemed to indicate that they lightened her up a bit but now we know that that was almost exclusively the scenes in the first episode where she was doped.

Instead they have double-downed on her and her speechifying. I mean what was the point of her in the episode with the Trill/human? She was just there to have her on the screen. I thought the story was interesting and very good right up until Burnham had to go into the trance state to help another with their own mindscape.

And now here she is solving The Burn.

Why? Why not just accept The Burn as something that has just happened and can't be solved?

So, I am still enjoying Discovery but it is beginning to grate more and more. Obviously she will have some input/revelation/solution to the transformation of Discovery computer system/AI simply because.

Advertisement