Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for kids age range 7 to 11

Options
  • 26-11-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Just bought a switch for the kids for Christmas.
    I have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but wanted to get another one or two games suitable for my 3 kids - 2 girls aged 11 & 9 and 1 boy aged 7 (who is the real game fanatic)

A non-violent shooter maybe Spatoon 2 - I am hoping that might be suitable but is there a subscription required??

I was also thinking of an active game like maybe 1-2 Switch or maybe Lets Dance.

There is such a range but I would appreciate any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

In our house favourite (often played) games are:

Mario kart (great for multiplayer)
    Splatoon 2
    Overcooked (great for multiplayer)
    Pokemon
    Mario + Rabbids (great for multiplayer (also good if they are good at chess and strategy games))
    51 World wide games (great for multiplayer)
    Animal Crossing (but you only get one town per console so if they will all want to design it or you only have 1 console maybe don't get this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Many thanks - that's a few on that list I hadn't even heard of.
    Maybe its Splatoon 2 that needs the sub

I probably need to get an SD card so that I can download the games - presumably a 128 one would be enough?
    The switch comes with 32GB already but I suppose a certain amount is needed for storing gameplay so that they can restart the game again

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

Splatoon 2 is a brilliant shooter for kids (and adults) but does require a subscription to Nintendo online for online play. There is an offline mode but it doesn't last long. Be aware that while it offers local multiplayer you need two consoles and two copies of the game.

Moving Out is a great multiplayer game similar to Overcooked but, in this house's opinion, far more fun and less frustrating. Just make sure you have enough controllers to go around.

Also be sure to download Rocket League. It is now completely free to play.

Many thanks "TheCrank"
    I might go with the earlier Splatoon so.

Will check out "Moving Out" (another one I hadn't heard of)

I don't necessarily need the 3 of them playing at the one time - the rows could become too much. Particularly my young lad - he would start a row in an empty room - its his way or the highway.
    Even something for the 2 girls to play together or take turns on would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Splatoon was not released on the Switch (it was only on the WiiU).

You can only play Splatoon 2 on the Switch.

As mentioned you'll need Nintendo Switch Online to play it online and that costs €19.99 for a year and includes a selection of NES and SNES games (though not sure how interesting they are for anyone under 30 35 :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

arrowman wrote: »
    Many thanks "TheCrank"
    I might go with the earlier Splatoon so.

we have Splatoon 2 sorry (can you tell the kids play it more than i do), we also have 2 consoles so we never had an issue with that game, so if it does require a subscription or a 2nd console maybe its not best for you, but as said above the subscription is €19.99 a year so it's not much.

I dont like the idea of being tied into any more subscriptions - I have enough of those already - my bank account is just a revolving door at the moment with more lads dipping their hands into my account monthly than I would like.
    Splatoon 2 looks great but also if I need another console (do I really) then that would be a turn off - I bought a couple of extra controllers (not the type that come with the switch but the "playstation type" - really showing my lack of knowledge here!!)
    I will check out Rocket League - thanks "TheCrank"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I would say definitely take a look at Super Mario Odyssey - it's a fantastic game and has a built-in two-player co-op mode.

Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of games on the eShop that have free demos available, so you could install the demos and see which ones they like. There is a list for the UK eshop here of games with demos, so plenty to try out. Snipperclips, What The Golf?, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Stikbold are a few examples of non-violent (well, ok, arguably Stikbold is as violent as dodgeball ;)) games that have demos available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Fysh wrote: »
    I would say definitely take a look at Super Mario Odyssey - it's a fantastic game and has a built-in two-player co-op mode.

Yep, getting a Switch and not getting Mario Odyssey is like getting an ice cream and not eating it. It is the best fun ever.

Also, Breath of the Wild - it's 12 cert - but it's Nintendo 12 cert so it's less scary than Snow White and the seven dwarves. But - I'll let you decide that. The older kids can help the younger kids. It's probably one of the best game ever made and has universal appeal. Really, getting a Switch without BOTW is like getting your cake and not eating it. It's not hard or complicated - you can take your time and go as slow and as chilled as you want. It's the opposite of modern life :) Plus you'll all have a ton of fun together solving all the puzzles in it. Really, the less you know about it the better your experience will be.

Also, it's on eshop "sale" at the moment at 1/3 off. I prefer physical games as I'm old skool and could sell/swap/share them on if I wanted to, but I'll never sell those games. Also - I love the funky cartridges and cases. BUT beware - they can be easy to lose. So, you need to just remind the kids to look after them and put them into and out of the Switch carefully.

My family adores those games + mario kart ( which you have +10 ).

Also, Rayman Legends is a brilliant and cheap platform game.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

arrowman wrote: »
    Many thanks - that's a few on that list I hadn't even heard of.
    Maybe its Splatoon 2 that needs the sub

I probably need to get an SD card so that I can download the games - presumably a 128 one would be enough?
    The switch comes with 32GB already but I suppose a certain amount is needed for storing gameplay so that they can restart the game again

The 128gb card is on sale on amazon for £18 at the moment.

• Advertisement

BLUEYK wrote: »
    The 128gb card is on sale on amazon for £18 at the moment.

Cheers BLUEYK as it happens I bought one from Amazon at that price last night.

Some of the games mentioned here are not large in terms of GB so will download those when I get a chance onto the switch's own harddrive

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I'm surprised no one has mentioned animal crossing.

I'd suggest most first party nintendo titles depending on their interest

Advertisement