Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU needed?

Options
  • 26-11-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I think that I need a new PSU

When I run most games or if I run a benchmark my Pc reboots no blue screens. I've only got to stat playing newer games as I used to just play some RTS games so it might have always been like this.

It can run for days/ weeks in end on 24/7 with out turning off as long as I don't play any games.

Any recommendations on a similar powered PSU as to what I have cx750m

I've currently got a i7 2600 with a R9 390 but plan to upgrade in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think that I need a new PSU

Confirm that before you buy one. 90W CPU and 280W GPU a 750W PSU should manage.

Diagnose the issue first, then repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

ED E wrote: »
    Confirm that before you buy one. 90W CPU and 280W GPU a 750W PSU should manage.

Diagnose the issue first, then repair it.

I'll see if I can get a loan of PSU to test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I would check memory first with memtest
    then second port of call is to make sure all your components are seated properly then as a last resort i would try a different psu unit

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

I had the same issue with my PC. Browsing and general work, it ran fine.

Playing games and it would randomly restart as you describe above.

Replaced the PSU and the issue has been resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

First thing is, as the others have suggested, to make sure your current PSU is the problem. No sense replacing it only to find the problem was something else.

Once you're sure the PSU needs to go, I'd suggest getting a Seasonic power supply, I've used them in most of my builds and never had a problem. I'd suggest 80+ Gold as a good balance between price and efficiency (less wasted electricity and waste heat in your case) but if money is tight you can go bronze. Also consider your case - if your case has a side window, you'll want a modular or semi-modular PSU so that you don't have unnecessary cable clutter on display. When inspecting new PSUs for sale, don't go solely by the headline "X00 Watts" because most of your power needs are going to be 12V. Some of the cheap and nasty PSUs will advertise that they are "700W" or whatever, but too much of that is only available on the 3.3V or 5V rails. The more amps are available on the 12V rail/rails, the better. Again, Seasonic tends to be very good in this regard, when they quote whatever number of watts, most of that will be available to your main power hungry components.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Coyler

Just something to eyeball but check your heat sinks and fans for dust. I had a x1950 die in the middle of a raid in WoW once because of it. Knew it was the GPU as I was getting artifacting . Took it out, blew out the copious amount of dust clogging the heat sink, remounted it, said a prayer to the PC gods and got was back to tanking for my clan in less than 10 minutes :)

So, yeah, check that. Might be as simple as that. Old cases sucked dirt from their surroundings like a cheap vacuum.

Advertisement