Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2021 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Faugheen wrote: »
    It's just pointless. Edge is 47, a HOFer and does not need to be winning a Royal Rumble.

Fair play to him and all that and I have always admired him as a star but it's a complete step backwards.

Not being funny here but who else was there? They've not set up any young guy to be in a position to win it that would not have felt like they were hotshotted into it. Don't blame the Rumble result, blame the company's inability to make new stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Stuck a tenner on Bianca/Edge PP special, got €75 back. Forget all my complaints, a great night!

Did you LineOfBeauty :p
    No offense but your posting style is that of a matter of fact. Like that sh*t rapper earlier. Informing us how big and great he was while the rest of us called him crap :pac:

... So I dunno lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's just pointless. Edge is 47, a HOFer and does not need to be winning a Royal Rumble.

Fair play to him and all that and I have always admired him as a star but it's a complete step backwards.

Maybe you build him and one of the younger guys beat him next year when there's crowds and a proper time. Crowds maybe not possible but sure we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully that ends the Edge vs Orton fued

Surprised no fiend appearance I guess he will return for Mania and face Orton

Edge vs Drew or Reigns will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

First event I’ve watched in donkeys years and thought it was very entertaining. You could make the argument the women’s rumble was better I thought, it was a superb finish. Men’s seemed to end very quickly but it’s nick picking I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

While I agree to a degree, in fairness the last three years had first time winners, in which they failed to properly utilise. A Kevin owens like performance can rescue the undercard , all it takes it one fued. Ultimately the rumble victory is kinda meaningless (they don't main event mania most times)

A Rocky-esque redemption story always has its place in fiction. And Edge has the most compelling natural story.

From this is may spawn a kofi Kingston rise to prominence for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Not being funny here but who else was there? They've not set up any young guy to be in a position to win it that would not have felt like they were hotshotted into it. Don't blame the Rumble result, blame the company's inability to make new stars.

He was the best option based on how they book.

Not a fan of Edge winning but like you say, who else was there.

Braun Bryan and Rollins are old hat, even older hat is Orton.

Bray Wyatt.... dear god no.

Keith Lee is missing.

Eveeyone else isnt at a main event level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Thought it was great. Was there ever an instance of #1 and #2 being the final 2 left in the Rumble apart from Austin and McMahon?
    Great Storytelling anyway, imo. Cant wait to see what they do with Christian now. Delighted he's back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Doesn't have to be an up and comer, that's what the King of ring was for. Rr for lads at the top needing direction.

In terms of build, I mean Kofi created his own build out of nothing in a chamber match so you don't need to have it signposted.

Did you LineOfBeauty :p
    No offense but your posting style is that of a matter of fact. Like that sh*t rapper earlier. Informing us how big and great he was while the rest of us called him crap :pac:

... So I dunno lol.

Can't say I had any insider info or anything like that. Bianca beat Bayley clean on SD and Charlotte has the Lacey feud going. For the men's it was either Edge or Bryan in my mind (Rollins outside shot). But hey it came together, I'm happy with that.

Plus when they switched him from entrant 2 to 1 I was encouraged by that. Small giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Man, you actually have no clue for you? Why is it a step backwards? He is a HOFer cause he retired due to an injury that, at the time, there was no coming back from without severe issues.

He is back now. He is still a fan favourite and a massive draw. He is still a great wrestler and would be far more active than Brock ever was.

I would have preferred Bryan but to say this is underwhelming or bad is just a bad hot take. By the way, just cause I don't post in here regularly doesn't mean I don't see how you are a fan of the bad hot takes

If this didn't excite you I think you are watching the wrong thing bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Edge will milk the 'hard journey back' stuff, could we see Christian turn on him

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be an up and comer, that's what the King of ring was for. Rr for lads at the top needing direction.

In terms of build, I mean Kofi created his own build out of nothing in a chamber match so you don't need to have it signposted.

But no one has momentum..... literally no one. No one has been consistently being built up as a contender. You need at least 4 or 5 options to have a decent Rumble. Id agrue they had none, Edge being the best option available

Was a mediocre Rumble match for me. Prefered the womens as far as entertainment and structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Actually where was Keith Lee??

Agreed, for the last few years I've preferred the women's. They're more unpredictable in a way. Then again drew last year wasn't exactly loads of momentum and he has done well.

Cotts72 wrote: »

Getting mandatory wrestling lessons.

Im guessing hes injured, makes no sesne having him absent considereing he was challenging Drew less than a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Mia Yim has confirmed she has co-vid and they are in a relationship together, so I'd suspect that's the reason

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Getting mandatory wrestling lessons.

Im guessing hes injured, makes no sesne having him absent considereing he was challenging Drew less than a month ago.

Most likely due to Mia Lim being diagnosed Covid positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought it was great. Was there ever an instance of #1 and #2 being the final 2 left in the Rumble apart from Austin and McMahon?
    Great Storytelling anyway, imo. Cant wait to see what they do with Christian now. Delighted he's back

HBK and Bulldog 95

Unearthly wrote: »
    HBK and Bulldog 95

And they did it the right way. No being taken backstage for a rest like tonight, or reigns, or Austin.

Also, no Usos tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

47 year old Edge winning the Rumble in 2021 is certainly something. WWE must really have no up and coming talent anywhere near ready to headline Mania if they decided to have a repeat winner from eleven years ago.

The botch with the handcuffs was brutal too, looked terrible.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Man, you actually have no clue for you? Why is it a step backwards? He is a HOFer cause he retired due to an injury that, at the time, there was no coming back from without severe issues.

He is back now. He is still a fan favourite and a massive draw. He is still a great wrestler and would be far more active than Brock ever was.

I would have preferred Bryan but to say this is underwhelming or bad is just a bad hot take. By the way, just cause I don't post in here regularly doesn't mean I don't see how you are a fan of the bad hot takes

If this didn't excite you I think you are watching the wrong thing bud.

Ok, I haven’t a clue.

Sorry for wasting your time. I won’t give an opinion that’s different to yours ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Also just read that only two of the 30 entrants in the Rumble were under 30 years of age, Dominik and Otis, who himself is 29. Bit mad when you think about it. WWE's fabled youth policy coming to the fore again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Happy that Bianca won the women's one she can be a huge star and from watching the recent documentary they did on her she seems a nice person who's had her troubles. I didn't bother watching the men's one I preferred to get some sleep as I didn't see any potential outcome that would interest me. I don't mind Edge winning really but equally I'm not massively excited about it either.

(TSC Mod Note: Putting a spoiler tag on this for obvious reasons. Rumble spoilers for anyone curious)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I fell asleep before the Last Man Standing match. Woke up this morning and set up the men's Rumble, paused it with 5 men in the ring, pressed play, and the Network gave me the winner celebrating. Stupid app.

47 year old Edge winning the Rumble in 2021 is certainly something. WWE must really have no up and coming talent anywhere near ready to headline Mania if they decided to have a repeat winner from eleven years ago.

The botch with the handcuffs was brutal too, looked terrible.

They have the talent, but yes its no where near ready... that is their own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I agree with anyone who thinks Edge winning is underwhelming. I say this is as a fan of Edge and someone who see’s the value of the “man comes back against the odds” story.

There are a few reasons why. Firstly it feels like we just saw this story last year, but without the Rumble win. Yes you could argue that him having the win this time adds to the comeback, but last years story was just that much more special because of how real and how raw it was. This time around, sure it works....but it felt like there could have been something more, which leads to the other reasons why this felt underwhelming.

Imagine of instead of Edge winning, it looks like he is going to do it. Everything is playing odd, and then a younger wrestler goes for him, but goes for him with a brutal streak. He goes to town on him, goes for the neck to really show much he doesn’t care for Edges story, this is my story he thinks, and he wants to prove it. Make it uncomfortable, go as far as when he eliminates Edge, that Edge is clearly limp and in pain. Suspends disbelief, did this young guy go too far? Right there you have a rivalry to take you to Mania, and you help make a top level heel in an instant. They don’t even need to win, instead you have a face like Big E take the heel out for a feel good moment.

The reason it’s underwhelming is because it feels “safe” and didn’t do much to create a new star, or to push someone to the main event. It’s in no way a disrespect to Edge, and I doubt anyone here thinks “bloody Edge winning” like they would have when Reigns won. The disappointment is with WWE and the writing. Look at last year, McIntyre winning had a short build but it made the man overnight. We could have had the same tonight but with say Big E, or have Daniel Bryan win so he gets that victory that many felt was owed to him in the past. But Edge winning just feels a bit “meh” when thinking about what could have been.

Not to be a Negative Nancy though, I thought the match was good and the women’s great. Delighted with Bianca winning and extra happy that Rhea was presented as a bigger threat that someone like Nia, which I was also happy to see them not go down the usual “big wrestler comes in and clears out the ring” route with her. Also the Bliss early elimination also helped her be seen as a threat, since everyone and their mother jumped her the moment she got in the ring because everyone was wise to her act and knew if she “transformed” then she’d most likely come out on top.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Edge has spent 90% of this just laying on the ground in one corner or another.

Same as any number 1 winner so.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    He was the best option based on how they book.

Not a fan of Edge winning but like you say, who else was there.

Braun Bryan and Rollins are old hat, even older hat is Orton.

Bray Wyatt.... dear god no.

Keith Lee is missing.

Eveeyone else isnt at a main event level.

Lee's missus had COVID shame that this could have been his breakout moment, that seemed to have wnt to either Riddle or Priest.

Missus had covid.

Overall a good show but would have loved to see Bryan or Big E win it. Edge's one last run story makes sense, be interesting to see who he picks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also has anyone checked in on Liz now that Christian is back.

His entrance music hitting genuinely made me smile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Might wanna pop a couple spoiler tags in there Pentecost!

Advertisement