Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2021 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think I've just watched my last WWE event since I began in 1992. Utter garbage. The streak.... is over :(

Ah man if you couldn't enjoy the ko reigns match even, I don't know what to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm same as some of the above in don't like that Edge won. I'm a huge fan of his, but he doesn't it and imo, he's not a great challenger for Drew (and Roman has better challengers).

I would have liked Bryan or Big E to win (and Big E had no chance anyway) to give a contender for Roman and then use the EC to set up a challenger for Drew. Edge could have just done the Orton stuff, and maybe have Christian betray him and have a Edge vs Christian match at WM.

Keith Lee, not being there was a disappointment (although covid), and was hoping for a return from Aleister Black. Wish we got a non-Messiah Rollins too (I'm sick of that).

Also, as much as it's a Rumble thing to do, and I didn't mind Christian's return, no need for Carlito, Hurricane or Kane over actual current roster members who didn't get to be there.

Bianca, I'm grand with as the winner. Should be a decent contender for Banks, and likely have Flair or Alexa Bliss vs Asuka on the Raw side.

I agree with anyone who thinks Edge winning is underwhelming. I say this is as a fan of Edge and someone who see’s the value of the “man comes back against the odds” story.

There are a few reasons why. Firstly it feels like we just saw this story last year, but without the Rumble win. Yes you could argue that him having the win this time adds to the comeback, but last years story was just that much more special because of how real and how raw it was. This time around, sure it works....but it felt like there could have been something more, which leads to the other reasons why this felt underwhelming.

Imagine of instead of Edge winning, it looks like he is going to do it. Everything is playing odd, and then a younger wrestler goes for him, but goes for him with a brutal streak. He goes to town on him, goes for the neck to really show much he doesn’t care for Edges story, this is my story he thinks, and he wants to prove it. Make it uncomfortable, go as far as when he eliminates Edge, that Edge is clearly limp and in pain. Suspends disbelief, did this young guy go too far? Right there you have a rivalry to take you to Mania, and you help make a top level heel in an instant. They don’t even need to win, instead you have a face like Big E take the heel out for a feel good moment.

The reason it’s underwhelming is because it feels “safe” and didn’t do much to create a new star, or to push someone to the main event. It’s in no way a disrespect to Edge, and I doubt anyone here thinks “bloody Edge winning” like they would have when Reigns won. The disappointment is with WWE and the writing. Look at last year, McIntyre winning had a short build but it made the man overnight. We could have had the same tonight but with say Big E, or have Daniel Bryan win so he gets that victory that many felt was owed to him in the past. But Edge winning just feels a bit “meh” when thinking about what could have been.

Not to be a Negative Nancy though, I thought the match was good and the women’s great. Delighted with Bianca winning and extra happy that Rhea was presented as a bigger threat that someone like Nia, which I was also happy to see them not go down the usual “big wrestler comes in and clears out the ring” route with her. Also the Bliss early elimination also helped her be seen as a threat, since everyone and their mother jumped her the moment she got in the ring because everyone was wise to her act and knew if she “transformed” then she’d most likely come out on top.

This is a great analysis of my subconscious feelings. Thanks for doing my thinking for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Also just read that only two of the 30 entrants in the Rumble were under 30 years of age, Dominik and Otis, who himself is 29. Bit mad when you think about it. WWE's fabled youth policy coming to the fore again!

It's Dradition with better production.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Smacruairi wrote: »

I really enjoyed the KO Reigns match but what took me out of the match completely was there was no way Reigns was losing it was a foregone conclusion and no matter what happened in the match I didn't believe otherwise.

And that's not a knock on the match layout, it's WWE inability to make more stars and make KO look like a big deal.

• Advertisement

Smacruairi wrote: »

It was grand WWE plunder. They fell off stuff for 15 minutes then produced maybe the funniest botched finish since Rumble 2005. They had a far superior match at this event in 2017 with Jericho in the shark cage deal. You couldn't feasibly go over ***1/2 on the match and that's on the very generous side (I had it at *** flat).

Also, I think I speak for everyone with Fcuk Omos. Eliminating Big E like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭ThePott

I don't understand all the people here that misery watch WWE hoping it will be something it's not. Just don't watch, there's plenty of alternatives when it comes to wrestling out there. They're like Mrs. Doyle
    eAighGv.gif?noredirect

ThePott wrote: »
    I don't understand all the people here that misery watch WWE hoping it will be something it's not. Just don't watch, there's plenty of alternatives when it comes to wrestling out there. They're like Mrs. Doyle
    eAighGv.gif?noredirect

If putting a ceiling of 3.5 stars on a basic stunt match with a hilariously botched finish is now considered "misery watching" then something is wildly off about where we set our expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

eAighGv.gif?noredirect

I don’t misery watch. I gave up about a year ago, only watching NXT, Rumble and Mania. I just watched both Rumble matches this morning out of tradition. I didn’t watch any other matches so may have missed a good bout in Reigns v Owens. But I just don’t care. 54 year old Goldberg in a title match. Favourites of the rumble match itself being Edge and Orton, both in their 40’s. It doesn’t fill me anything but apathy tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

titan18 wrote: »
    Also, as much as it's a Rumble thing to do, and I didn't mind Christian's return, no need for Carlito, Hurricane or Kane over actual current roster members who didn't get to be there.

They did the Hurricane Helms gimmick return only 3 years ago as well. Needless.

Wasn't specifically talking about the Reigns/Owens match which I agree was hurt by the ending. I just so many people on here that seem to never have any positive wrestling takes, it's always just dumping on whatever is going on. Not even talking specifically here. I just don't understand people that donate so much of their time to something they seem to hate watching. Like I gave up on The Walking Dead after a bit, don't get why people don't drop WWE if it's such a miserable experience.

Wasn't specifically talking about the Reigns/Owens match which I agree was hurt by the ending. I just so many people on here that seem to never have any positive wrestling takes, it's always just dumping on whatever is going on. Not even talking specifically here. I just don't understand people that donate so much of their time to something they seem to hate watching. Like I gave up on The Walking Dead after a bit, don't get why people don't drop WWE if it's such a miserable experience.

From a quality POV it's without a doubt the worst year WWE has ever had. I think I'd probably make the case that it's the worst year of any major company I've seen. So honestly I think that's probably the reason you see more negative takes than positive takes. One of my main takeaways coming out of the show last night was that all in all it was pretty enjoyable and I was relieved we didn't get any (or very much) of The Fiend, possessed child like wrestlers, demon puppets ect. and the fact that I'm grateful for that told me everything I needed to know about how 2020 was for WWE.

Just quickly on this too. I watched Royal Rumble 2017 prior to last night's show. Even then there's issues and you can see the creeping up of some of the things that plague the company today but man as an overall product it blows 2020/2021 out of the water, and that's 2017 which isn't exactly considered a golden age of the company.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I liked the Carlito return. It was new, it was nostalgiac and he looked great as well.

I feel like his return was ruined by the lack of a crowd (which you could say for all of them really). I think he would have got a great pop.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

And he also appeared in AEW during the Matt/Sammy deletion match a few months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

You'd think WWE is immune from criticism or something, I find the lads giving out about people giving out about WWE more tedious.

I enjoyed the show, thought both rumble matches were good, ko reigns was great. I like the e at this time of year. As Brian Zane says, like what you like.

I was never big on Hurricane Helms or Carlito when they were at their prime either. Hurricane was a regular squash opponent and Carlito was a crappy gimmick.

Considering the current guys available who could have gone in there (although not 100% on who was available with covid or injuries) but could easily have had Andrade, Cedric Alexander, Shelton Benjamin, Gulak, Retribution members, Aleister Black, Roode, either Street Profit, Apollo Crews, Chad Gable etc or any Nxt wrestler like on the women's side.

If its a pop they're looking for, seeing Balor or Adam Cole come down would be a lot better.

Christian is the only acceptable one, especially considering how he had left and meant to not able to wrestle again. I'm sure if there were fans there, he'd have had almost as big of a pop as Edge had last year.

There seemed to be a lot more of him this time around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

They did it better in 2017 too. Even the Hurricane looker like he was dragged out of bed.

Carilito was fine bit man has he lost his speed. Looks on good shape but man he is too big.

Kane though.... man has he not got more important things to do. He looks like he hasnt exercised since he left.

Christian though..... someone check on Liz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

KO Reigns did nothing for me. Paint by numbers brawl with a few high spots. Ive seen it done better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Check out the Late Late show thread on TV for the saddest examples of this behaviour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Was a fun show, good but not great. As a Riddle fan I was pleased they didn't just have him come in to get tossed out straight away. Nice little team hell-no spot and a good showing by Priest. (I also really enjoyed the spine buster Corbin gave Dominic as soon as he entered...made me smile)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I think Hurricane being in the rumble must have been Keith Lee's spot, short notice and he would have already been in the bubble due working backstage.

Really enjoyed the show, always have to laugh at peoples reactions to "someone old" winning something like this and "why don't they push someone new?" complaints.

Edge was always a fan favourite going back to the Attitude Era, and with the lack of touring and crowds they probably see their older fans coming back to watch events like this as the best option towards any revenue during a time like this. I know I'm satisfied i stayed up to watch the show anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So is Christian cleared for once last run then?

From a quality POV it's without a doubt the worst year WWE has ever had. I think I'd probably make the case that it's the worst year of any major company I've seen. So honestly I think that's probably the reason you see more negative takes than positive takes. One of my main takeaways coming out of the show last night was that all in all it was pretty enjoyable and I was relieved we didn't get any (or very much) of The Fiend, possessed child like wrestlers, demon puppets ect. and the fact that I'm grateful for that told me everything I needed to know about how 2020 was for WWE.Just quickly on this too. I watched Royal Rumble 2017 prior to last night's show. Even then there's issues and you can see the creeping up of some of the things that plague the company today but man as an overall product it blows 2020/2021 out of the water, and that's 2017 which isn't exactly considered a golden age of the company.
    Fair, I mean I don't think it's an excellent year or anything, maybe you can put some blame on pandemic I don't know. I think Smackdown is a solid show but people dump on it a lot. Raw is a dumpster fire, I just think there's people one here that wouldn't give it up for them even if was solid. Last night was a pretty good show but not sure you'd know that from here is all.
    You'd think WWE is immune from criticism or something, I find the lads giving out about people giving out about WWE more tedious.
    Dude I criticise WWE all the time and I've never said this before. They're not immune from criticism but some people never give them any credit at all, that's all.
    Check out the Late Late show thread on TV for the saddest examples of this behaviour :pac:
    This is one I'll never understand haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Might wanna pop a couple spoiler tags in there Pentecost!

Sorry guys I was asleep and not thinking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mod note.
    As mentioned in the random thoughts thread, I’ve shifted posts from there to here. Spoiler warnings and tags won’t be needed in here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

It was grand WWE plunder. They fell off stuff for 15 minutes then produced maybe the funniest botched finish since Rumble 2005. They had a far superior match at this event in 2017 with Jericho in the shark cage deal. You couldn't feasibly go over ***1/2 on the match and that's on the very generous side (I had it at *** flat).

Gerald?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Fair, I mean I don't think it's an excellent year or anything, maybe you can put some blame on pandemic I don't know. I think Smackdown is a solid show but people dump on it a lot. Raw is a dumpster fire, I just think there's people one here that wouldn't give it up for them even if was solid. Last night was a pretty good show but not sure you'd know that from here is all.

Dude I criticise WWE all the time and I've never said this before. They're not immune from criticism but some people never give them any credit at all, that's all.

This is one I'll never understand haha

People can like what they like and not like what they don't like, and all voices and opinions here are equally valid.

I just don't think people need to be told what to watch and that they are Mrs Doyle because they didn't like the Royal Rumble is all.

Advertisement