Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2021 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

GSPfan wrote: »

In terms of the Royal Rumble match itself I wish to god they’d plan the match with a little more common sense. Having 50 false eliminations a match by having them hang on to the rope and the person who put them there just walking away is annoying. Having multiple people team up to throw someone out only for another person to disrupt that is just silly. Why would you stop any elimination unless it’s a tag partner or something. Why would you ever climb the ropes or even wait on the ring apron. It feels like there should be a 10 count for anyone outside the ring who hasn’t gone over the top. I’d also wonder if it would be a good idea to have the last two people be able to pin each other to add a bit of variety at the end.

I know they will never mess with the format too much but still it’d be nice to try.

Slight exaggeration ahead but you'll get my meaning. Not forgetting when they have 5 guys struggling to lift someone like Rey Mysterio who is managing to stop going over.

During the Goldberg match, I think Drew genuinely kicked him in the head when Goldberg ran at him in the corner. He seemed dazed after that. Seemed he was too low or ran too fast and didn't see the boot coming.

Looked like Bayley kicked Naomi in the head as well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Did anyone notice Jey USO was missing from the rumble.

Shame as he had a great few months prior the rumble could have been another building block for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Loughc wrote: »
    Did anyone notice Jey USO was missing from the rumble.

Shame as he had a great few months prior the rumble could have been another building block for him.

He announced he was entering. Hasn't been a part of the Reigns storyline either lately. Wonder did he pick up Covid as there hasn't been anything said

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

paulie21 wrote: »
    He announced he was entering. Hasn't been a part of the Reigns storyline either lately. Wonder did he pick up Covid as there hasn't been anything said

Official line was he wasn't cleared by doctors to compete, don't know if that's injury or COVID though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He had to make room for Dominick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

she is married and step mother to 2 children so wasn't shocked.

What age is Montez?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can Bianca choose which title she wants to go after like Edge or automatically has to go for the SD title?

ORYNZ9Z.jpg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can Bianca choose which title she wants to go after like Edge or automatically has to go for the SD title?

She can choose which ever champion she wants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

GSPfan wrote: »
    So what strategy would you go with if you were a wrestler entering the Royal Rumble. Imagine you are smarter than the average bear but you still have to act like wrestlers act in situations.

1. Delay getting in the ring at all. Go to commentary position. Go under the ring. Just occupy yourself as long as you can before getting in.

2. Once in there try to make some alliances. But don’t double cross anyone. Those guys normally get thrown out soon afterwards. Keep an alliance for as long as possible.

3. If you get thrown under the ropes to the outside then stay there as long as possible.

4. If you find yourself near the ropes then either go limp to drop to the ground or stick your arse out over the second rope as your body will follow through and save you.

5. Never ever climb a turnbuckle.

6. Never ever charge at someone on the ropes for a clothesline.

7. The best ‘over the top rope’ move seems to be the one hand grab of the back of the head that throws people over.

8. When a huge guy comes in then it’s best to play dead in a corner. Do not try to take him on alone.

9. When you throw someone out of the ring you never assume they are gone. Always check.

10. Never run to the ring so fast that you might trip on a mat and slide under the ring.
    Stay backstage the whole time and just get your faction buddies to beat up everyone in the ring with chairs and eliminate them until no else is left :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Why do people talk about Edge as if he is a part timer? For all we know he's signed a full time contract but haven't seen his schedule due to the awful injury last year

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Why do people talk about Edge as if he is a part timer? For all we know he's signed a full time contract but haven't seen his schedule due to the awful injury last year

He confirmed himself when he re-signed it would be a lighter work schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    He confirmed himself when he re-signed it would be a lighter work schedule.

He wrestled 3 times last year from Jan to May. Thats part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He wrestled 3 times last year from Jan to May. Thats part time.

He was injured a large part of that time.

He posted on Instagram yesterday that he will be at Raw each week. In fairness, probably not wrestling. I don't need to see Edge in matches each week.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    He was injured a large part of that time.

He posted on Instagram yesterday that he will be at Raw each week. In fairness, probably not wrestling. I don't need to see Edge in matches each week.

Did he not get injued in May?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Can't stress enough. The issue isn't Edge winning. Edge winning is a byproduct of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Interesting stat from Meltzer:

"Dominik Mysterio and Otis were the only two people in this year's RR match that are under the age of 30. This was, in fact, the oldest Royal Rumble in history, in it’s thirty year history. The second oldest was last year."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

It's slightly ironic that WWE have had a state of the art facility to train young wrestlers for a good few years now and yet they just produced the oldest ever Royal Rumble in terms of age of participants, and had a 47 year old repeat winner who first won the Rumble in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

El Sueño wrote: »
    Interesting stat from Meltzer:

"Dominik Mysterio and Otis were the only two people in this year's RR match that are under the age of 30. This was, in fact, the oldest Royal Rumble in history, in it’s thirty year history. The second oldest was last year."

Cant believe Otis is under 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't see it as a big deal, wrestlers' prime years are in their 30s these days. Look across the landscape of wrestling and you'll see the vast majority of every company's stars are in that age bracket.

Reigns, Rollins, Styles, Braun, Bray, Drew, Lee, Balor, New Day, Orton, Bryan, Moxley, Cody, Jericho, Omega, Miro, Cassidy, Pac, Wardlow, Hager, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Okada. Most mid-30s, some in their 40s. One in their 50s.

Is there any genuine wrestling star in their 20s? Sasha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't see it as a big deal, wrestlers' prime years are in their 30s these days. Look across the landscape of wrestling and you'll see the vast majority of every company's stars are in that age bracket.

Reigns, Rollins, Styles, Braun, Bray, Drew, Lee, Balor, New Day, Orton, Bryan, Moxley, Cody, Jericho, Omega, Miro, Cassidy, Pac, Wardlow, Hager, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Okada. Most mid-30s, some in their 40s. One in their 50s.

Is there any genuine wrestling star in their 20s? Sasha?

You should. Not that there's no mega drawing star under the age of 30 in the WWE but the question is whose even close? There's no young wrestlers on the undercard being primed for huge spots. So, like any wrestling company, you look to your production line, your wrestling school. And WWE's is barren, it's a wasteland of guys and girls who've been in this warehouse for years and who can't grasp anything beyond the basics. Like Jeet Rama who was recently on the Indian show against Styles, 40 years old in the performance centre for 6 years and he's still so mediocre. The problem isn't that you hit 30 and now you're considered old, it's that they have so few guys primed on the main roster to take over big spots and they have even fewer guys in developmental ready to step up.

Okada is a great example. Obvious talent, great size, pushed to the moon in his early 20's upon excursion, NJPW's premier star, the ace of the company and a draw (all going well with his health) for 20+ years for NJPW. Why did they do that? Because they had the right guy in Okada and because they had faith that in their system he was ready for such a huge spot.

And guys peak late too, the overwhelming wrestler of the year for 2020 is Go Shiozaki who is 38 years old, a wrestler's peak tends to be from around 34-39. But the issue is that where you've listed wrestlers from companies over 30, in those same companies you can do a list of wrestlers under 30 who are capable of stepping into a big spot at a moment's notice because they've been primed for it in how the wrestler has been trained and in the eyes of the fans of those companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's slightly ironic that WWE have had a state of the art facility to train young wrestlers for a good few years now and yet they just produced the oldest ever Royal Rumble in terms of age of participants, and had a 47 year old repeat winner who first won the Rumble in 2010.

And 54 year old Goldberg vying for the main title despite absolutely nobody wanting it or the story not even making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

I think we were supposed to be dreading a Goldberg win to be fair.

Had to laugh at even the hype video being ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on the reason for the match as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You don't need Goldberg to put over Drew who has been Champion for the guts of a year, You want Goldberg to put over Adam Cole or someone like that on their main roster debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You don't need Goldberg to put over Drew who has been Champion for the guts of a year, You want Goldberg to put over Adam Cole or someone like that on their main roster debut.

Ah, yeah, just take a couple of Canadian destroyers off him, and lose to the leg slap of death.

I like Adam Cole, but he's 5,8, 13 stone and looks about as threatening as a drunk squirrel. Even with the UE backing him up, nobody is believing that result......

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Ah, yeah, just take a couple of Canadian destroyers off him, and lose to the leg slap of death.

I like Adam Cole, but he's 5,8, 13 stone and looks about as threatening as a drunk squirrel. Even with the UE backing him up, nobody is believing that result......

What an awful take.

What an awful take.

What, that I don't think goldberg should be wasted on Adam Cole?

Goldberg still has a place on the card, it should just never be near the title again,it also shouldn't be jobs to nxt lad on his first night.

And yeah, I think Cole is better off staying in nxt, he's going to look absolutely terrible when they call him up.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What, that I don't think goldberg should be wasted on Adam Cole?

Goldberg still has a place on the card, it should just never be near the title again,it also shouldn't be jobs to nxt lad on his first night.

And yeah, I think Cole is better off staying in nxt, he's going to look absolutely terrible when they call him up.

So Goldberg, a man who is bolloxed from his walk to the ring, who was a star 23 years ago, who has wrestled roughly 6 times since 2004, who has had the same **** matches with Drew, Dolph and Owens in the last 4 years should have a place, yet Adam Cole, arguablely the most polished and all round talent in NXT in years has no place.

Yeah. Sorry, great take. Solid. 6 stars.

• Advertisement

So Goldberg, a man who is bolloxed from his walk to the ring, who was a star 23 years ago, who has wrestled roughly 6 times since 2004, who has had the same **** matches with Drew, Dolph and Owens in the last 4 years should have a place, yet Adam Cole, arguablely the most polished and all round talent in NXT in years has no place.

Yeah. Sorry, great take. Solid. 6 stars.

That goldberg match is the best thing ziggler has done since the ladder match with the miz.

Adam cole is good, I like him, but if you're looking forward to 40 minute kick out fests, then more power to you, but it's not for me (and judging by nxts ratings this week not for many others)

I gave up on the idea of Cole on the main roster when him and gargano bawled into the crowd and were dwarfed by the audience.

Advertisement