Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shankill as an area?

Options
  • 27-11-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi everyone!

This is my first message on boards.ie - so if its the wrong forum etc (apologies - please send me in the right direction)

Ok so that said, we are looking at buying a house near Corbawn Avenue. it looks beautiful, near the sea and near the dart! Overall looks like a great area!

Now the question im wondering is around Rathsallagh and Shanganagh cliffs. They are right beside the house, which is grand... but my only concern is that I am reading online about robberies, burnt-out cars, and rapes at the dart station in the area (so not exactly friendly reading!)

So just wanted to ask if there are any locals out that way, that could let me know are the articles I'm reading just hype, or is that particular area of Shankill dangerous?

A bit rough I don't mind, but if it's actually dangerous if someone could let me know would appreciate it.

(also sorry if this sounds ridiculous, I actually know nothing about the area so just going off what I'm reading online - so if people could bear that in mine, and give advice to ease my mind would appreciate it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 terminatorX1

It isn't dangerous at all, far from it.

No more or no less break-ins etc. than other areas. As regards burnt out cars and rapes...I've lived here 30 years and have seen one burnt out car at the dart station about 20 years ago. There were reports of a sex pest in the area in the media a couple of years ago but that seems to have gone away.

It's a great area to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It was a groper not a rapist if I remember well, and he operated between Shankill and Killiney so you might as well eliminate Killiney! And Dalkey too, because of the "house of horrors".

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wholesome19

Thank you! Lol'd eliminate them all (Killiney, Dalkey etc) - if that was the case & there was a rapist going around!

Ok cool, its just from doing Google searches and not knowing anything that I'm trying to figure the area out.

That's good news though happy to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Corbawn is a lovely part of Shankill - everywhere will have an iffy part "Down the road".
    It is a long way ahead of other Dublin suburbs if you ask me. Would have no problem living in Shankill although locals will know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

For your research and for full disclosure, there was a fatal stabbing and an infanticide in the years past too but they were individual tragedies that don't form a pattern. It's a populous area.

I would still recommend Shankill as a great area, the estates you named are quite settled and you won't go near if you don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It's a grand area, corbawn is lovely, Rathsallagh and Shanganagh are no worse that any council estate in the country, and as terminator says, I've never seen burnt out cars in either estate so reports of that are rubbish. Add to that you have some of the best transport links in the country on your doorstep

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There is the odd incident but still within 2 miles you have the sea, lovely Cabinteely Park, easy access to Dublin/Wicklow mountains, Dart ( maybe not as good as Luas, but still a good service and many more. I suppose the Roller Disco in Woodbrook is history now, you can't have everything but maybe Dawsons Amusements in Bray still have the Ghost Train!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Edgware wrote: »
    you can't have everything but maybe Dawsons Amusements in Bray still have the Ghost Train!

They certainly did up until Dawson's was demolished several years ago! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

600 social housing units just approved

adjacent to Shanganagh Castle, Shanganagh Park and Castle Farm,

Also approved a while 685 apartments I don't know how much are social housing back located beside Shanganagh Cemetery and;Woodbrook golf course.

Both Bray and shankill have high crime rate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Saralace wrote: »
    600 social housing units just approved

adjacent to Shanganagh Castle, Shanganagh Park and Castle Farm,

Also approved a while 685 apartments I don't know how much are social housing back located beside Shanganagh Cemetery and;Woodbrook golf course.

Also a new DART station going in to Woodbrook.
    Of the 600 I think many are affordable housing. So that could be teachers , guards, nurses, engineer, etc

Also 100+ apartments off the shanganah road

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/michael-fingleton-linked-lands-at-centre-of-controversial-housing-plan-in-shankill-1.4392676%3fmode=amp

There’s more planned for acRoss the road footpaths being upgraded on the road to take the extra footfall

• Advertisement

Saralace wrote: »

Can you back that claim up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Corbawn is very nice. Rathsallagh and Shananagh are awful places but they are reasonably confined into their own area. The only times you may come in contact with the lesser lights of those areas may be around the shops or the dart station but you wouldn't see them that often.

Shankill Village is great and Brady's is a good pub. You would be hard pushed to find any of the lesser lights from the rough areas in Brady's.

The burglaries in the area seemed to have calmed over the last couple of years with Operation Thor. It wasn't people from the area that were committing the burglaries. It was believed it was from out near Tallaght as there were a couple of cases of a burglary and then a purse or wallet being found out in D24. Once the Garda worked out that they were coming off the M50, it slowed down.

Bike theft is very bad in the area. These are done by locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They certainly did up until Dawson's was demolished several years ago! :D
    It's years since I've been in Bray. We had a French student staying with us one time. Her class was going on a trip one day to Bray. She informed me that she was told that Bray was known as "the Irish Riviera"!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Its in Dublin end of story really.

Hey thanks, everyone for the comments - really appreciate them. I agree it seems like a great area and as safe as houses so it would seem. We walked the park along shanganagh cliffs out to the beach and couldn't believe the views...we were also on Killiney beach in about 15 mins.

Great to hear all positive feedback here too. @saralace is that true about the high crime rate?

Also, the social and affordable housing looks like a positive initiative, going to be commercial units as part of it too. Do you think it will be positive or a drawback for the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hey thanks, everyone for the comments - really appreciate them. I agree it seems like a great area and as safe as houses so it would seem. We walked the park along shanganagh cliffs out to the beach and couldn't believe the views...we were also on Killiney beach in about 15 mins.

Great to hear all positive feedback here too. @saralace is that true about the high crime rate?

Also, the social and affordable housing looks like a positive initiative, going to be commercial units as part of it too. Do you think it will be positive or a drawback for the area?

It’ll be negative in terms of traffic and loss of green space. But positive in terms of housing , Road network ungrade etc

For commercial units. Cherrywood is a short drive , cycle away and that’ll have lots of units.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/woodbrook_section3_2.pdf

Can you back that claim up?

Doubt it, probably talking about the serious crime of crossing the road where there's no crossing, I've been in the area 30+ years, anyone who says there's a serious crime problem is talking through their arsé

21/25

@saralace is that true about the high crime rate?

Complete Rubbish wholesome,

Only downside would be as Ted said, traffic is a bit heavy, especially in the evenings, but if you're in Corbawn you really wouldn't need a car except for weekend use, excellent transport links, supermarket 200m from you, pub 500m, coffee shop/cafe 500m take aways 500m, post office 450m, pharmacy 500m, everything is on your doorstep

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Doubt it, probably talking about the serious crime of crossing the road where there's no crossing, I've been in the area 30+ years, anyone who says there's a serious crime problem is talking through their arsé

Absolutely. If this person considers Shankill, one of Dublin's better areas, crime ridden, they've led a very sheltered life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Lovely area Wholesome especially Corbawn. Everything on your doorstep

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thank you all so much! Its so reassuring to hear back from everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time to come back to me and let me know, appreciate it :)

Advertisement