Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting the hospitality industry

• 27-11-2020 11:00am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We all know that restaurants have been hit badly with the current restrictions.

My local restaurant is the typical little Swiss working man’s establishment, meaning it’s main source of income is the lunchtime trade. It used to offer two fairly basic wholesome menus at prices that tempting tradesmen to swap a packed lunch for a warm meal. And of course packing customers into three small rooms, so a really bad model for the times we have.

Like most restaurants he has started offering takeout menus. From experience of collecting takeouts, I’d say pretty much every household on the street makes an effort to buy takeout at least once a week to support him.

I was talking to him last night and he thinks he will make it. Turnover is down 40%, but there is only himself and a waiter to support. And his wife works full time as well as a government employee.

So the question is do you support local businesses at the moment and how much do you spend? We (family of four) spent about €80 a week at this restaurant that we would not normally spend.

Advertisement