Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best processor and graphics card for light gaming ?

Options
  • 27-11-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking to build a gaming PC for a family member and his kids for Christmas. They will be using it for lightweight gaming ( steam games ), schoolwork and the parents will use it for some of their work too.

I have a budget of €1,000 - and it's been years since I built a PC.

What's the best CPU and graphics card these days for the above purposes ?

I was thinking Ryzen 5..

I have most other stuff figured out, just debating the CPU and Graphics card at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Edit to include template:

1. What is your budget? [€1,000 + €300 for peripherals] - €1,300 max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming (light-to-moderate games; probably steam downloads), Internet, Office Apps ] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22"-24"]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard, Mouse]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 5 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [N/A]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Do you need to buy a monitor as well in that budget?
    If a monitor already exists, please specify what specs (resolution, refresh rate, response time).
    If the monitor must be purchased from that budget, the options will be limited.

In general, your post should answer the questions in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

JoyPad wrote: »
    Do you need to buy a monitor as well in that budget?
    If a monitor already exists, please specify what specs (resolution, refresh rate, response time).
    If the monitor must be purchased from that budget, the options will be limited.
    In general, your post should answer the questions in this post.

Thanks

1. What is your budget? [€1,000 + €300 for peripherals] - €1,300 max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming (light-to-moderate games; probably steam downloads), Internet, Office Apps ] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22"-24"]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard, Mouse]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 5 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [N/A]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£69.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£101.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£299.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Power Supply: KOLINK ENCLAVE 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £925.51
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-28 12:44 GMT+0000

So if it was me and I needed it before Xmas that's the sort of thing I'd be building after getting tips and pointers from the lads here on the finer points. However if you can get one the 5600X does bump up the price but is a newer better CPU than the 3600. A 5600 non-X maybe coming next year. Included white memory only as it was the one listed with a price. Grab the black stuff for looks.

Advertisement