Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone used the breakdown cover with AXA insurance?

• 27-11-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭

My wifes car has broken down just down the road no clutch. I'm pretty sure its the slave cylinder on the clutch thats gone. Its been smelling slightly of burning oil for a while and I've had to top up the hydraulic fluid - finally explains where it was going :o.

Anyway going to push the car back down to the house as its currently on the side of a very narrow country lane.

The mechanic I use suggested checking if my insurance would cover a tow.

So I wonder if call the breakdown number for AXA breakdown cover and I tell them its on the road outside the house will they tow it for me. Also do they tow to any garage or just the nearest one. Needs towing 25miles. If all else fails I'll pay to get it towed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Miscreant

My wifes car has broken down just down the road no clutch. I'm pretty sure its the slave cylinder on the clutch thats gone. Its been smelling slightly of burning oil for a while and I've had to top up the hydraulic fluid - finally explains where it was going :o.

Anyway going to push the car back down to the house as its currently on the side of a very narrow country lane.

The mechanic I use suggested checking if my insurance would cover a tow.

So I wonder if call the breakdown number for AXA breakdown cover and I tell them its on the road outside the house will they tow it for me. Also do they tow to any garage or just the nearest one. Needs towing 25miles. If all else fails I'll pay to get it towed.

In my experience they will send out a truck and tow to wherever you want it to be, within a reasonable distance. The one time I had to do this, I had my car towed from my house to the mechanic on the other side of Dublin. I think it was about 18km distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

They usually offer a tow to your home or nearest reputable garage, not necessarily your garage of choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Used AXA breakdown assist on numerous occasions over the years, never an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Same here, used it a few times, most recently last year outside Omagh. I hit something on the road which ripped the exhaust out. Waited about 90 minutes and lad came out, back of tow truck to his garage, and he fixed it so that I could get home. He did advise me however to get the part replaced when I got home as if it fell off again Axa wouldn't come out for a similar fix if no remediation had been done on initial complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thanks guys I'll give it go and let you know how I get on. Would have called them there and then if we were any distance away from home but had to leave it that day because of hospital appointments. I'll wait till Monday morning now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just a quick update. Arranged with mechanic to get the parts myself, bad move as they took a week to come from Micks Garage with the current postal delays. Parts arrived called AXA, no problem, just waiting now for truck to turn up, driver called for instructions so I guess wait from calling AXA will be about an hour and a half which is fine by me and saves me around €100.

Advertisement