Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China claims coronavirus came to country on Frozen Food

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

timmyntc wrote: »
    Given how contagious we know it is, do you really think that a person caught it elsewhere then came to Wuhan and Wuhan was the epicenter? Wuhan was the first reported cluster.

If it came from elsewhere, there would have been clusters elsewhere too.

At the time of the original outbreak, the alleged patient #0 was deemed to have been in the wuhan wet market. If any of these people had recently travelled into Wuhan at that time, I'm sure it would've made the news

Maybe it mutated in wuhan?

It could have been a not so virulent virus but for whatever reason mutated in wuhan to the virus we know and hate today.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tom1ie wrote: »
    Maybe it mutated in wuhan?

It could have been a not so virulent virus but for whatever reason mutated in wuhan to the virus we know and hate today.

Just a thought.

If it mutated from a virus that doesn't cause epidemics or serious disease outside of Wuhan to one that does both inside Wuhan then that is a very strong case for calling it a new strain and saying the strain emerged in Wuhan. Otherwise we can basically say that it really emerged in the primordial soup but just mutated in Wuhan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

trixi001 wrote: »
    First reported case was in Wuhan, but the French tested old samples and it was in France in November 2019

https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-11/Was-there-COVID-19-in-France-last-November--QpD871eNhu/index.html

And increased activity at Wuhan hospitals from August 2019 may suggest the coronavirus hit the area earlier than was possibly known about or recognised.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52975934

You caught me, I'm a sleeper Chinese agent, on boards since 2009, to convert the irish folk to Mao's great plan.
    I actually lol'ed at your post, cheers mate, needed that

Lol x3. If that's the quite the amazing leap of logic you wish to make - so be it :pac:

Nope still don't get this idea that no criticism of China is possible but at the same time the whole thing is all Trumps fault.

I know he's an eejit but not even he in his wildest dreams could be responsible for the rampant spread of infection that China and the WHO unwitingly facilitated between them by refusing to shut down/ restrict global travel at the beginning of the outbreak. As I said a real great bunch of lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol x3. If that's the quite the amazing leap of logic you wish to make - so be it :pac:

Nope still don't get this idea that no criticism of China is possible but at the same time the whole thing is all Trumps fault.

I know he's an eejit but not even he in his wildest dreams could be responsible for the rampant spread of infection that China and the WHO unwitingly facilitated between them by refusing to shut down/ restrict global travel at the beginning of the outbreak. As I said a real great bunch of lads ;)

To be fair I do remember staring in disbelief at one of the WHO press conferences when they advised that China should not ban flights out of China nor should other countries be putting pressure on them to do such.
    This seemed like (and was) a really bad piece of advice.
    The virus would have escaped at some point but we might have had more time to prepare.
    Then again knowing our government we wouldn’t have done a thing with regard to travel quarantine restrictions, sure we are starting to do that half arsedly now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Captain's birds eye eh? They must be codding us ...

https://youtu.be/ZXVN7QJ8m88

It writes itself tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

is_that_so wrote: »
    Who knows? China jumped on it as an excuse and NZ did highlight how vigilant they were. Fomites have been done alright, pretty negligible as it requires far too many things to be true.

NZ detected it in frozen food and involved only positive polymerase chain reaction tests and had no evidence of virus isolation.This indicates that the viral particles were already inactive and not infectious.They simply cannot produce human infection because they are not active viruses.There is no evidence to date of viruses that cause respiratory illnesses being transmitted via food or food packaging.

Although there is not any evidence of transmission through frozen food over a year into the pandemic, there is one country in the world (China) that repeatedly reports its frozen food products are testing positive for the coronavirus

If by a miracle the virus came from frozen food, that could infect people, the place where it had been shipped from should have suffered an outbreak first not Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

latency89 wrote: »
    NZ detected it in frozen food and involved only positive polymerase chain reaction tests and had no evidence of virus isolation.This indicates that the viral particles were already inactive and not infectious.They simply cannot produce human infection because they are not active viruses.There is no evidence to date of viruses that cause respiratory illnesses being transmitted via food or food packaging.

Although there is not any evidence of transmission through frozen food over a year into the pandemic, there is one country in the world (China) that repeatedly reports its frozen food products are testing positive for the coronavirus

If by a miracle the virus came from frozen food, that could infect people, the place where it had been shipped from should have suffered an outbreak first not Wuhan.
    A close relative of SARS-COV-2 has been found in frozen bats in other countries, notably Japan and Cambodia. They've also identified a relative in bats in Thailand. This is all very early work in Wuhan but plenty of scope for it to look at lot of areas.

A close relative of SARS-COV-2 has been found in frozen bats in other countries, notably Japan and Cambodia. They've also identified a relative as in bats in Thailand.

Who is freezing bats? :confused:

gozunda wrote: »
    Who is freezing bats? :confused :
    They were in lab freezers it seems. No idea if it's any kind of common practice.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03217-0

• Advertisement

A close relative of SARS-COV-2 has been found in frozen bats in other countries, notably Japan and Cambodia. They've also identified a relative in bats in Thailand. This is all very early work in Wuhan but plenty of scope for it to look at lot of areas.

What do you mean?

Someone or something ate those frozen bats and SARS-COV-2 became? :pac:

When I studied science you had an hypothesis and this was tested to produce evidence.

Now apparently it is 'scope' and speculation?

What's your hypothesis?

Humour me

latency89 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Someone or something ate those frozen bats and SARS-COV-2 became? :pac:

When I studied science you had an hypothesis and this was tested to produce evidence.

Now apparently it is 'scope' and speculation?

What's your hypothesis?

Humour me
    The hypothesis, not mine, is that it may have come from somewhere else. The frozen bats and a new study have identified a close relative of SARS-CoV-2 elsewhere. I have no idea the fact that they were frozen has anything to do with where or how it all started but the reports suggest that they may also have to look beyond China for answers.

The hypothesis, not mine, is that it may have come from somewhere else. The frozen bats and a new study have identified a close relative of SARS-CoV-2 elsewhere. I have no idea the fact that they were frozen has anything to do with where or how it all started but the reports suggest that they may also have to look beyond China for answers.

An educated man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The chinese government lie.
    They are completely incapable of telling even the smallest truth.

Who could believe a country that denies people rights. That condone science experiments with little regard for the outcome.
    After they ball$ up said experiment they then don't have the decency to come clean.

Instead, the rest of the world has to contribute to their growing financial success in the purchase of PPE to protect us and people are still stupid enough to keep buying things that are made in china.
    So stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Very unlucky the frozen food got shipped to one of the locations with a virology research center.

Very very unlucky....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's the close relative identified? Closest so far was the bat RaTG13 virus I understood.

Very unlucky the frozen food got shipped to one of the locations with a virology research center.

Very very unlucky....

Incredibly unlucky alright and the place where it had been shipped from miraculously avoided the outbreak

Poor Chinese can't catch a break

What's the close relative identified? Closest so far was the bat RaTG13 virus I understood.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21240-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's not impossible that it came from somewhere else. It's just improbable. Putting a disproportionate amount of effort into the least likely option, is a curious approach. Made even stranger by the lack of transparency and delaying tactics that preceded it. Because if you truly believed it didn't come from you, you'd be bending over backwards to demonstrate that.

It's like a kid who says they have done their homework but won't show it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    It's not impossible that it came from somewhere else. It's just improbable. Putting a disproportionate amount of effort into the least likely option, is a curious approach. Made even stranger by the lack of transparency and delaying tactics that preceded it. Because if you truly believed it didn't come from you, you'd be bending over backwards to demonstrate that.

It's like a kid who says they have done their homework but won't show it to you.

It came up in the WHO briefing the other day, albeit about other places in China.

Lin-Fa Wang of Duke-NUS Medical School in Singapore is the author of this hypothesis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55998157

Advertisement