Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Case Fan Noise

Options
  • 27-11-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

As you may remember I built a new PC starting around this time last year. All has been fine (After the stat) but a long standing issue was with what I thought was the noise of my GPU fans.

Transpires recently, its actually the case fans. I spotted after gftting a HW monitor tool one fan running rogue at 2000rpm. Just so happens to be the one above my GPU, so to my ear it sounded like the graphics card.

I've been playing with profiles in the bios and I just can't get it right. I don't want to damage things with high temps by just putting all fans on 50%, but at the moment (using system default) there are fans near screaming. Its mental

Is there a general guideline on fan profiles/setups or any recommendations?

Here is some info on things while I'm doing something relatively typical in WoW.

a567293b2f086f9598f813d6ce72b4bb.png

6888ccb09911b34a6c5170c2dfd6c8f8.png

I have an AIO running on my CPU which seems to keep it cool most of the time, so I'm thinking of dropping the front intake and rear exhaust down to 50%, just want to make sure thats not a bad idea.

For info on the fans.

AIO using two Corsair LL120 fans.
    Rear Exhaust is a Corsair LL120.
    Three front intake (although intaking what I don't know, I have a Corsair Carbide case so it's got a flat front panel with a little spacing on the sides of air intake. Pic above) are Corsair 120, think they came with the case

The default settings I'm taking about are in the MSI Tomahawk bios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You dont mention the case in your other thread, what is it?

For the most part you'll only throttle if you get too hot, spin them down and then run heaven for an hour. If CPU and GPU are below 80*C you're totally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ED E wrote: »
    You dont mention the case in your other thread, what is it?

For the most part you'll only throttle if you get too hot, spin them down and then run heaven for an hour. If CPU and GPU are below 80*C you're totally safe.

Sorry put a picture above, case is a Corsair Carbide (temper glass model)

Yeah going to drop them down to 50% speed and just watch the monitor while I'm playing WoW and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've a 600C, the gap is slightly larger on mine but a similar enough setup.

The issue, same issue I have, is if you PWM the CPU fans based on CPU usage if the CPU usage is low and the GPU usage is high (Common in many games) then the body of the case heats up a lot and thus the GPU can struggle a little. So dont count on the AIO fans assume they'll be low and provide base level case airflow with the others. My setup is worse as I've 4x AIO fans and 1x case.

Cool thanks. Yeah I have the AIO fan curves running against the CPU, and the rest against 'system' which looks to be some method my motherboard or something is collating heat in the case/components.

I've dropped all case fans to 20% on PWM (One front fan still likes going high RPM regardles) but going to see how that goes for the night. So far, can't hear anything bar my like 8 year old HDD

The next thing to replace to quiten things down :D

Minute I went into a game it kicked off. I think I'm narrowing it down to be just one fan. Don't understand how it's moving upward, I have it set to a static %

51b8de9ec11aa8673e0a7ae96ae05b96.png

Keeps up I'll just turn it off entirely, put the dc to 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do you have Corsair iCUE installed?
    IIRC that has fan options too.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Do you have Corsair iCUE installed?
    IIRC that has fan options too.

Yeah but I don't have the commander pro, so cannot manage fan profiles from it unfortunately.

For update, ended up turning that fan off that was going mental, but it seems my temps went sharply up. So maybe its something I need to live with for now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe just get an Arctic P12 to replace it?
    They're only 6 quid.

Advertisement