Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominos - price gouging

Options
2»

Comments

I enjoy a good Dominos but there's definitely far better value for money out there.

They used to have some great deals but they binned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If you think Dominos is expensive you're either on welfare or havent left your village.

Only ever been on welfare for 3 months, working since 15.

So you think a small box of frozen wedges for €4.50 is cheap????

I'm actually lost to be honest.

I actually don't eat pizza but would get the chicken strippers and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you think Dominos is expensive you're either on welfare or havent left your village.

What a bizarre comment

callaway92 wrote: »
    What a bizarre comment

You must be unfamiliar with Mr. Kiernan. He's not too fond of the great unwashed.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If only they didn’t have a monopoly on the pizza market :(
    I remember when there were other pizzerias.

That's the part that confuses me - There are loads of options for pizza. Practically everyone is selling them.

I live in Drogheda, which presumably would have a lesser extent of choice than anywhere in Dublin/Cork/Galway/etc. and we have a Dominos, along with the usual Papa Johns, Apache Pizza, Mizzoni, PizzaBaker, Macari's Pizza, Four Star Pizza and local restaurants aswell, like Il Forno, Le Pizzeria, Roma, Borzalinos, PizzaMax, Sorrento's, Casanova, a few Centra shops also at it.. and there must be at least 5 or 6 more that I can't think of.

I find Dominos to be pricy and subpar, so I never use them (my favourite option is Four Star Pizza).

Simply 'vote with your feet' as they say. Loads of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Can't fathom out why anyone would pay their asking prices, even with a supposed discount.

Oh well, guess fools and their money are easily parted.

I always took it that most of the customers were stoned! Fair play to them if they can get people to pay e20 plus for a pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you think of whats involved to get a pizza made and delivered to your door, then I dont think that €20 is expensive.

How can you think it is?

Its Friday night, you can spend 3 hours gathering and mixing the ingredients, wait 2 more to prove the dough, then make and cook the pizza tben clean everything up.

Or you can pay €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

If you think of whats involved to get a pizza made and delivered to your door, then I dont think that €20 is expensive.

How can you think it is?

Its Friday night, you can spend 3 hours gathering and mixing the ingredients, wait 2 more to prove the dough, then make and cook the pizza tben clean everything up.

Or you can pay €20.

5 hours to gather ingredients, mix them and prove the dough?????

You must charge by the hour in whatever line of work you're in or else you're the slowest dough kneader on the planet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

How can you think it is?

Or you can pay €20.

Have you ever made pizza from scratch?!? Doesn't sound like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pizza is one of the cheapest foods to assemble at home. Its not hard to produce a 12 inch restaurant quality pizza for less than two or three euro, the dough alone is only about 50c. Im out of the delivery range of 'local' takeaways so got an Ooni pizza oven out the back garden. The investment has easily paid for itself at this stage compared to getting takeaways. Ive always got frozen pizza dough in the freezer, once that is defrosted it is very easy.

As for Dominoes Im not surprised they took away the deals for the Toy Show, Id guess their phones were hopping all night with thousands of people all wanting to be fed at the same time. Its a pain in the arse if you're used to ordering off them every weekend at X price and then it rockets up but its supply and demand at the end of the day. I do agree they're expensive but their model seems to be discount codes for regular customers and then less frequent customers pay full price. The less frequnst customers would have vastly out numbered the regular customers for an event like the Toy Show so they can get away with pulling the deals for that night, they wouldnt be able to satisfy all that demand anyway so why discount it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Definitely agree, complete rip off. They also claim to have the best drivers in the business, however the ones in Dub 15 are nothing short of reckless and dangerous at times - accident waiting to happen. Wouldn't give Dominos the times of day!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Pizza is one of the cheapest foods to assemble at home. Its not hard to produce a 12 inch restaurant quality pizza for less than two or three euro, the dough alone is only about 50c. Im out of the delivery range of 'local' takeaways so got an Ooni pizza oven out the back garden. The investment has easily paid for itself at this stage compared to getting takeaways. Ive always got frozen pizza dough in the freezer, once that is defrosted it is very easy.
    I used to do pizza from scratch, but I couldn't compete with supermarket prices. A can of tomatoes for the sauce was €1.50 on its own, and the full plain pizza (with cheese and tomato sauce) was €3 in Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Dominoes expenses have jumped substantially since they were found to be mis-declaring their drivers as contractors.

Now they have to pay them properly and give them their legal rights and payments. This is probably why they have cut the offers and are out to make as much as possible.

It was in the High Court.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1220/1102450-dominos-drivers-paye/

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I used to do pizza from scratch, but I couldn't compete with supermarket prices. A can of tomatoes for the sauce was €1.50 on its own, and the full plain pizza (with cheese and tomato sauce) was €3 in Aldi.

You're getting robbed for tinned tomatoes

Can of own brand chopped tomatoes or a carton of pasata is about 40c normally. They aren't using fancy brand stuff on frozen pizza (or in takeaways)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

boardz wrote: »
    Really disappointed with Dominos Pizza tonight. All the kids around for the Toy show and tried to order Dominos early and while I can understand no deliveries they have also suspended all of their deals. This is price gouging to me and and I will avoid ordering from them in the future.

We've ordered from Apache who are delivering and have their deals active.

Get four star next time, same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When they were mainly on cub50/90s they were stone mad,.. all weather they be absolutely bombing it....

Advertisement